Future Viper owner, a few questions!!

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My name is Fadi and I currently have an 01 Z06. My heart was set on the C6 Z06 for a looong time, but just recently, things have changed after putting some thought into what I want to do. I decided to get an 03 SRT-10 due to financial sense. I really wanted a C6 Z, but after thinking about it, I really don't want to spend 70K, have the car depreciate by 40% in the next 2 years, and lose a lot of $. So, I thought the best thing to do is to get an SRT, an 03 since they have already hit peak depreciation. I will be getting this car in the spring, when the lease on my Z is up, in April. Anyways, I am very excited to be a future SRT owner and looking forward to taking part of this forum.

I just have a few questions:

1) Between an 03 and 04 SRT's, are there any mechanical upgrades, or issues resolved in 04's?

2) Are hid's standard on 03's? I think only on 04's+, but just want to make sure.

3) Do the 03's make more/less hp than the 04's?

Thanks everyone.

P.S.- A big thanks goes out to "Andy 98RT10" for being my best friend and talking me into getting this beast..;)

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased an 05 2 months ago and I believe the 03-05 are identical cars. I am extremely happy with it so far and have 3800 miles and have started doing some upgrades. My local dealership has an 03 & 04 both black and you can get an awesome deal on it. I would be happy to give you the salesman name and number if you like.
Good Luck

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an o3 with 6800k and love it.

1. No mechanical upgrades between 03 and 04 that I know of.
2. 03 has HID standard.
3. Same hp in all years.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. It seems then that there were no issues to be resolved in the 03's, even bing the first year for the SRT.

Someone told me that only 04's+ have HID's as a standard feature, I guess that was not correct. I am glad to hear that even the 03's come standard with HID's.

As far as getting the car, I will start my shopping in March. I hope to find a Silver srt with less than 10K miles on it for 57K.

Thanks again for the responses.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Fadi,

I will try to go into as much detail as possible:

03-04 SRT differences include:

2003 Negatives:

-2003 had Valve Recall
-2003 had Cooling Module Recall
-2003 had a Wiring Recall
-2003 had a Flickering Headlight TSB
-2003 Oil Pressure and Temperature Gauges are not optimal
-"Sleep Mode" for storage purposes is greatly complicated over 2004+... have to jump fuses Vs. pushing door handle

2003 Positives:
-2003 SRT-10's have the larger crank damper bolts of the two sizes Vipers have had. There have been many less problems with this size damper bolt.

-ALL 2003 Viper SRT-10's have Forged Connecting Rods

2004 Negatives:
-Cam Bolt Recall
-Smaller Damper Bolt (Not an issue if Loctited & Tq'd correctly. If you go Big Power, Keying the crank is a no brainer anyway on either style, and will remedy the issue totally.)
-SOME 2004's have Forged Rods, SOME have Powdered Metal rods. The PM rods are weaker, but would never effect a car not making big power. I have not been able to isolate a date range yet, but I know Forged Rods continued at least through my 2004, built Feb. 2nd 2004.

2004 Positives
-Corrected Gauges
-More refined build process
-less recalls and TSB's

All SRT's have HID headlights, and HP between the years is the same.

Reaction score
I Have an early 2003 and love it flickering lights and valves that had to be replaced. After the valves were replaced the power jumped by 50 to 70 hp. The heads were ported and polished and larger valves installed.

In my opinion, the most important item is an extended warranty(7/70).

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Fadi,

2003 Negatives:

-2003 had Valve Recall
-"Sleep Mode" for storage purposes is greatly complicated over 2004+... have to jump fuses Vs. pushing door handle

2003 Positives:
-2003 SRT-10's have the larger crank damper bolts of the two sizes Vipers have had. There have been many less problems with this size damper bolt.

2004 Negatives:
-Cam Bolt Recall
-Smaller Damper Bolt (Not an issue if Loctited & Tq'd correctly. If you go Big Power, Keying the crank is a no brainer anyway on either style, and will remedy the issue totally.)
-SOME 2004's have Forged Rods, SOME have Powdered Metal rods. The PM rods are weaker, but would never effect a car not making big power. I have not been able to isolate a date range yet, but I know Forged Rods continued at least through my 2004, built Feb. 2nd 2004.

2004 Positives
-Corrected Gauges
-less recalls and TSB's

Cam bolt recall only affects '04 SRT-10 Vipers and Rams built prior to 01/31/04.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't forget the all important change to red brake calipers!!! That alone should be worth a full second in the 1/4 mile.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Fadi,

2003 Negatives:

-2003 had Valve Recall

2003 Positives:

2004 Negatives:
-Cam Bolt Recall

2004 Positives
-Corrected Gauges
-less recalls and TSB's

Hey bud, thanks a lot for the informative post.

I am not sure if the recalls is something I should be worried about since it is a recall and has been fixed. I will look into the 04's also but if I do find a great deal on an 03, do you think I should hesitate on the purchase do to any mechanical problems and get an 04?

Anyways, thanks again.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:

Don't forget the all important change to red brake calipers!!! That alone should be worth a full second in the 1/4 mile.

--------------------
are the break calipers a recall for the 03 or 04 viper? and how can break calipers improve 1/4 mile time? thanks

06 VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Fadi,

Goog luck on your search and purchase.. Please purchase an extended warrantee. I have no problems with my Viper but them again car is too new to have problems. Remember Warrantee....

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Fadi,

Goog luck on your search and purchase.. Please purchase an extended warrantee. I have no problems with my Viper but them again car is too new to have problems. Remember Warrantee....

Will do, for sure. Thanks.

I can not wait for a few months to go buy and start shopping for my SRT. I am excited! I will def. post pics as soon as I get it.

Take care

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't the 2004's come with the trunk carpeting and boot cover, which the 2003's did not have?

Not all 2004's came with the boot cover. Only after a certain production date. As for the carpeting..........yes I believe it was standard.

Patrick

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will definately be able to get a low-mile '03 SRT for 57k next year. Less than that if you will take the 10k miles. Welcome to the site. I am 6.0SE from the other site you are on.

A.J.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will definately be able to get a low-mile '03 SRT for 57k next year. Less than that if you will take the 10k miles. Welcome to the site. I am 6.0SE from the other site you are on.

A.J.

Hello A.J. It is nice to see you on board.

Yes, I will take a 10K miled SRT, but no more. I want to put all the fun miles on the car..;) It is good to hear that you don't think it would be much of a problem to find one for 57K next year. I am very excited.

BTW, i never told you that you have a beautiful collection of cars. I wanted to tell you that on Ferrarichat but did not get to it. Congrats man!
:)

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A.J.

Yes, I will take a 10K miled SRT, but no more. I want to put all the fun miles on the car..;) It is good to hear that you don't think it would be much of a problem to find one for 57K next year. I am very excited.

BTW, i never told you that you have a beautiful collection of cars. I wanted to tell you that on Ferrarichat but did not get to it. Congrats man!

Thank you very much. You should be able to get a 10k mile SRT in the 53-55 range, unless something really strange happens in the market place.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Fadi,

2003 Negatives:

-2003 had Valve Recall

2003 Positives:

2004 Negatives:
-Cam Bolt Recall

2004 Positives
-Corrected Gauges
-less recalls and TSB's

Cam bolt recall only affects '04 SRT-10 Vipers and Rams built prior to 01/31/04.

Thanks for pointing that out, I thought about it, but I forgot to type it in there! And to add to that, it does NOT affect all cars built in 04 before that date.

Also, just an update from the above, it appears that Dodges computer was wrong! My 2004 sure as I am typing this has PM rods in it! Even though Dodges computer shows a superceeded number to a Forged rod, it is not correct! Glad I was planning on tossing them anyway. heh.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A.J.

Thank you very much. You should be able to get a 10k mile SRT in the 53-55 range, unless something really strange happens in the market place.

Man, that would be awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone knows of anybody that wants to sell their Viper, or any other contact, let me know. I will be getting this beast in April.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A basic rule of thumb is to buy the newest you can afford; the factory upgrades the car every year especially a newer model where unforeseen glitches need to be ironed out or improving the design here and there, many of which are not advertised.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A basic rule of thumb is to buy the newest you can afford; the factory upgrades the car every year especially a newer model where unforeseen glitches need to be ironed out or improving the design here and there, many of which are not advertised.

In his case, he is looking for a good car, that has had more of it's depreciation hit. If I was to get another SRT, I would do the same thing. Get an '03, in the low 50's. Same basic car as the '06, with very minor upgrades along the way. I have had every year starting with 03, and the differences are minimal.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, A.J.

What I will do is get the best deal I can get. For ex, comes April, and the difference between an 03 and a newer model is minimal with the same amount of mileage, then I will get the newer yr. But, if the difference is not minimal, say, 5K+ of a difference, I will stick with the 03.

It all depends on what kind of deal I will find. I will go with the best deal.

I will look on e-bay, cars.com, autotrader/swapper, Viper Calssifieds, etc..I will look everywhere.

Thanks guys

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, instead of starting a new thread, i thought it would be a better idea to just ask here.

I want to lower the Viper. I know with my Z06, it was very, very simple and cheap. But, for the Viper it is different from what I have read.

My questions are:

1) Which complete lowering kit do you recommend?
2) How much is the lowering kit?
3) How much for installing the lowering kit?

Thanks in advace.

Fadi

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi,
I too have a ZO6 but it's an '03. If you have an 'O1 ZO6 hang on to it b/c
it's worth some big bucks (the first to my knowledge was an '02)!!
You will be glad you are going w/ the Viper.....when I drive the Vette I feel
like I'm down grading (of course the new ZO6 would be a little different).

Mike

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fadi,
I too have a ZO6 but it's an '03. If you have an 'O1 ZO6 hang on to it b/c
it's worth some big bucks (the first to my knowledge was an '02)!!
You will be glad you are going w/ the Viper.....when I drive the Vette I feel
like I'm down grading (of course the new ZO6 would be a little different).

Mike

Sorry Mike. 01 was the first year of the Z06....I had one. 380 HP against the 405 hp in the '02.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth