How does one reset the PCM?

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a pack of resistors for $1 from RadioShack so that I could put one into the skip shift plug. How do I now reset the PCM to get rid of the check engine light? I tried just disconnecting the battery and that wasn't enough.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you install the right resistor? I didn't have to reset my PCM. I just turned the car on, and the light was off.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To reset the PCM, simply remove the protective cover and unplug all three connectors to it. Wait a minute, plug them back in.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The resistor will eliminate the skip shift light.

The resistor turns off just the constant check engine light caused by unplugging the wiring harness connected to the tranny. The skip shift light still illuminates after unplugging the harness and putting in the resistor, assuming the conditions are met for causing the skip shift light to be triggered.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The resistor will eliminate the skip shift light.

The resistor turns off just the constant check engine light caused by unplugging the wiring harness connected to the tranny. The skip shift light still illuminates after unplugging the harness and putting in the resistor, assuming the conditions are met for causing the skip shift light to be triggered.

Anaconda thanks for clearing that up. I have done a fair number of mods to the Viper but that is not one of them. Skip shift seldom kicks in for me.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend a buck and get rid of it forever. Do it during your next oil change, when you are down there anyway. It's a piece of cake. I can't think of a better thing to spend a dollar on (okay okay, tipping a stripper is better....)

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what plug size will fill the void if I just want to pull the whole solenoid rather than just unplugging it?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy a skip shift eliminator for $17.95 from Mid-America. It is the same one the Corvette, Camaro and Firebird use.

The one they offer has OEM style connectors. The one connector is just a plug for the solenoid connector on the tranny. The other one goes on the power supply line and has the resistor built in.

2 minute install, no check engine light.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just cover the hole with electrical tape. The "hole" faces up toward the cabin, so it will be fine.

Spending $17.95 is just a waste of money.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the link to the part. I bought mine two years ago, they have raised the price to $19.99.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.304.101

Anaconda, while the ghetto method works (it's a 0.5 ohm resistor). I have found that after a while, especially when driving in wet conditions, most tape tends to work its way loose. So for me, spending 20 bucks to only have to do the job once, using OEM connectors is worth it.

Another tip for the do-it-yourself bunch, make sure to disconnect the CAGS solenoid and not the reverse lock-out solenoid. If memory serves me, the CAGS solenoid is further back.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also if you buy one from them, be preparred to get a thick catalog about every month with all the latest Corvette poser gear. :p

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I dunno, I removed mine right after I got my car, and have put 19,000 miles on it so far, in wet and dry conditions, on the track and on the street. It works fine. I just used a lot of tape.