Which model year is best?

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen, I'm the new guy around here and have waited for some time to become one in earnest.

Here's the "Q" if you knew what you know now when you were looking to buy your first Viper which one would it be?

also the reasons why would be of great use to me in my upcoming decision as to which one to buy.

I'm leaning towards the 97 RT as I feel they worked the bugs out by then and you didn't have to have a towel in your lap if it started raining on the way to the rally.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated as I will be buying a Viper after the first of the year.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions you can put forth! Dan

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently bought an 2001 RT/10 because it was the first year with Anti-lock breaks (my wife says the way I drive a little extra safety never hurts) and about $5,000 less than an 'O2. It has the **** looks of the Gen 1-2. Before I made a decision I drove all 3 Generations and liked the power, looks, comfort (haha) and handling of it best of all.

Saying that I think you can't go wrong with any year. As Nike says JUST DO IT :2tu:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELCOME!
They're ALL good my friend!
Check the link below. Check out the Viper Registry menu bar above.

http://ivr.viperclub.org/features.php

Each year has its own special features and quirks.

Forged / lumpy cam GEN2 cars do well with boost if that is the direction you want to go. Up to and including 1999.

18" in 99
98 99 tubular headers
01, 02 ABS

They're ALL good!
Spend your money getting the best clean, straight, low mileage, pedigreed car with NO stories!

Good luck!

Join the VCA it costs less than 28 CENTS per day!

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
97's **** :p , 02 is the obvious choice, the most refined and as everyone here knows, the fastest GenII's were produced in 2002 :D .

:hitfan:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will get a lot of varying opinions because everybody is biased. I personally would not own anything but a Gen1. A Gen1 Viper, where do I start? Mine rides like a truck with little or at least worn shocks. No A/C and can get pretty hot in the interior on warm days. Who needs creature comforts, they are for babies. No airbags, no ABS, no automatic seat adjustment, no rear window defogger, no windows. If you want your windows on, well, you will have to pull over and put them on. Did I mention it is kind of a rough ride? The feel of the car while driving is intense though. A race car that is street legal. The car demands respect and gets it. You will find that most people will not pass you, they will just hang off of your bumper and stare in amazement that they are driving next to a Viper. The Gen 1 Viper, no other car even compares. I wouldn't own anything other than a Gen 1. Did I tell you it rides like a truck?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will get a lot of varying opinions because everybody is biased. I personally would not own anything but a Gen1. A Gen1 Viper, where do I start? Mine rides like a truck with little or at least worn shocks. No A/C and can get pretty hot in the interior on warm days. Who needs creature comforts, they are for babies. No airbags, no ABS, no automatic seat adjustment, no rear window defogger, no windows. If you want your windows on, well, you will have to pull over and put them on. Did I mention it is kind of a rough ride? The feel of the car while driving is intense though. A race car that is street legal. The car demands respect and gets it. You will find that most people will not pass you, they will just hang off of your bumper and stare in amazement that they are driving next to a Viper. The Gen 1 Viper, no other car even compares. I wouldn't own anything other than a Gen 1. Did I tell you it rides like a truck?

he has my vote :2tu:

V

venms96

Dan,
Have fun looking...they're all great cars.
When I first saw the post, I was like, oh no, here we go again...but after reading your statements, I understand a little better, so, on a serious note;
You should know if you prefer the GTS Coupe or the RT body. You mentioned the 97 RT, so you might have that answered already. They are both great cars, but unless you can buy two, you have to decide on that. Then, in 1999 they put 18 inch rims on them. They fill the wheel well better, look great, but the wheel is totally different looking. I'm speaking about basic cosmetic stuff, not sure what you know, don't know. If you want the Mods stuff answered, you'll get enough of that on this site. If you want 450hp, then it's 96 and up for the GTS. If you want blue, it's 96 or 97. If you have a little extra $$, check out the ACR cars-different wheels, seatbelts, hp, just a bad *** Viper, and rare. If you care for a certain color, they made specific colors in different years.
Like others have stated, try to be smart about your purchase. It's always good to get the true history of the car, and usually that's from a Private owner. Dealers get creampuffs too, so don't count them totally out, however, it's always nice to talk with an actual owner.
I'm sure you're excited about purchasing a Viper, just don't make a 50k mistake. The Viper guys on this site will pick apart a car quicker than anyone, just by a few pics - if you're not sure of something.
Of course, all of this is just my .02 Good luck. Keep us posted.

1996 GTS - Stock ( winter shut-down, snow on the way )

OP
OP
D

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, you all have my head spinning now, Hopefully the wheels will be soon!

I really appreciate those inputs, I learned a lot from what you all have mentioned but can see I have a looong waaay to go before I choose even the generation. I have narrowed it to either gen1 or 2.

Being here in Florida, I just can't bring myself to get the truck model because the dang rain pops up fast and could soak the interior which in my mind would totally ****, so I will start by asking which year did the fix the leaks?

That's a pretty wimpy initial qualification question but I'm fairly confident that all years have the necessary power required of me. 400-450 is plenty considering it's hard to use here in Florida with more cops on the road than civilians.

I'll definitely be consulting everyone here when I find something I think may be a potential buy, I always look for low mileage one owner cars if I can find them.

Being from an aviation background, I also really appreciate the anti-lock brakes feature, but here in Florida on dry pavement, I think I could do without that assist. (Kind of want to feel that action manually)

Keep those comments coming "Ladies" and Gents. The new Kid is in school here and he's paying attention! Thank you!!!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beware the post 99 models. :nana:

You must be registered for see images attach

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 2000's are the best value, because of no-ABS and not having forged pistons. If you want just like a "cruiser" they are a good deal.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case you didn't get ViperJon's comments you should be leery of post '99's. Their nickname is creampuff after all. Of course if you want the anti-lock brakes you'll have to go with 2001 or later *cough* creampuff. Then again, if you are a good driver you don't need anti-lock anyway. I try to stay out of bad weather which is the only time anti-lock would help. As for GenIII's they are really a much better car, but there are more of them and well... look at em!

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's an easy question, but first you have to know what YOU want! Do you want wind in the hair, a lumpy cam, ABS, one that's a little more refined, cup holders, modifications, blah, blah, blah. Do some research and see what is available for a certain year/body style that YOU like. When you find the right Viper you'll know it, and don't settle for anything else. And to answer your question...the best year Viper is the one in your driveway!

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They say the purists prefers the 99 model. Forged pistons, tubular, 18's, 450hp, no ABS.

And I happen to have one for sale if anyone is interested! :2tu:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont listen to these guys, stick with one between model years 93 thru 06...any one of these should be perfect :headbang:

OP
OP
D

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAARRRGGGG, this is getting tougher by the minute. I'LL TAKE ONE OF EACH! (I WISH) O.K. Mastiff mentioned the 99 model is for purists so I like that idea but does that mean the 97 was refined to much to be considered all muscle too. (I'm an old vette owner, and mopar too!

I would go for the high cam rumble and grumble of a 96 if the roof doesn't leak.

Color scheme? Hmmm, How about something in a stealth like camo/sky grey! Heh Heh Heh

Black or Blue with the silver stripes would be my colors.

Well, I'm still leaning towards the 97 which is probably gen II but since this isn't going to be a daily driver I wouldn't be opposed to the 96 which I think would be a gen I.

Does the 96 come in blue or black? Thanks again guys & (gals).

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The question should be...which model year is best for me?
Identify your personal needs and go from there. One man's meat is another man's poison.

GALA-96-GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 96 GTS and 97 GTS are the only GEN II models that are blue (not counting sapphire blue).

The only cosmetic difference between the 96 and 97 are the white racing stripes. The 96 has the stripes through the rear license plate area, and the 97 is solid blue in this section.

When I was shopping for my snake, I started with color combos and it pretty much made my decision for me (96).

Don't beat yourself up to much trying to decide between which Viper is right for you. After all, it is like deciding which supermodel you want to date (no matter which one you pick, you will be the envy of everyone you know).

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "purists" comment is just what I heard others say. I think it really signifies the car completely coming together as far as the wheel size, engine hp etc... but implies that ABS killed it for the old school purists types.

My general opinion on that is some like abs some dont. The bottom line is any Viper year you end up buying is going to give you "pure" enjoyment. :2tu:

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black or Blue with the silver stripes would be my colors.

Well, I'm still leaning towards the 97 which is probably gen II but since this isn't going to be a daily driver I wouldn't be opposed to the 96 which I think would be a gen I.

Does the 96 come in blue or black? Thanks again guys & (gals).

Review Viper Joe's registry link. It'll help you align the model years with available colors. For the RT/10, Black with silver stripes was available. These car are considered Gen1.5. Like Gen 1, they have the same motor and still do not have electronic windows, but they have the Gen2 suspension and rear exit exhaust. Horsepower was 415. For '97 the RT/10 was very limited. It only came in Red and Blue with White stripes, no Black. However, there are also only 52 Blue/White '97 RT/10's so they're tough to find.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In case you didn't get ViperJon's comments you should be leery of post '99's. Their nickname is creampuff after all. Of course if you want the anti-lock brakes you'll have to go with 2001 or later *cough* creampuff. Then again, if you are a good driver you don't need anti-lock anyway. I try to stay out of bad weather which is the only time anti-lock would help. As for GenIII's they are really a much better car, but there are more of them and well... look at em!

:nono: I would rather have a creampuff than a flakie :D , they are faster, smoother and more efficient from the factory, that is on top of a better interior and ABS, plus your paint won't bubble up and flake off! :nana: