Footwell Sub box measurements? (Rt/10)?? Help

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the measurements for a sub box that will hold a 10" sub. I know some of you have these in your RT/10's and i was wondering if you could tell me the measurements of the box so it will fit in the footwell?
Thanks
James

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can;t help you with dimensions but the interior volume should be between .5 and .75 cubic feet for optimum performance. Good luck.

npeifer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can;t help you with dimensions but the interior volume should be between .5 and .75 cubic feet for optimum performance. Good luck.

Actually the interior volume needed is based on which subwoofer you choose. Some 10" subs are designed to operate best with .77 some 1.0 and many others that are very different. A Kicker solobaric is a sub I know of that is designed to work in small sealed enclosures.

I would like to see some measurements of an enclosure others have used in there vipers as well.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to get into a debate on subs, but very few 10" need that large of an enclosure. By optimum performance I mean best SPL and frequency response. There is some give and take. The larger the enclosure the flatter the response, but the worse your SPL is. For a truely flat response leave them free air (will sound like crap). But if you want some good responses in the 35Hz to 120Hz range use .5-.75 cubic feet as a guide. It's true that manufactures have different recommendations on enclosures, but subs really aren't that different on the inside. Cars vary more than subs. That's why porting came about. You can build a box and then tune it with a port instead of building a bunch of boxes. Just trying to help. Sorry for the technicalities.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOu'll want to hit about .75 cuft. If you can get more, go for it. Choose a sub that REQUIRES less air space. THere are different model subs. Some require more airspace and some require less. Also pay attention to the resistance.

If you want ANY kind of bass, footwell sub is the only way to go.

G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you can wait till theis weekend i will get the measurements off of my box. i now have a jl 10w3. i had a jl 10w0 that was junk, what a diff. going to the w3. i also have an alpine tv/dvd/cd/tuner head unit with a jl 300/4 amp hooked to the sub and factory door speakers. sounds great..(i disconnected the "sub" between the seats as it was too distorted at high volume).

ryan

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you can wait till theis weekend i will get the measurements off of my box. i now have a jl 10w3. i had a jl 10w0 that was junk, what a diff. going to the w3. i also have an alpine tv/dvd/cd/tuner head unit with a jl 300/4 amp hooked to the sub and factory door speakers. sounds great..(i disconnected the "sub" between the seats as it was too distorted at high volume).

ryan
That would be great if you could send me the measurements. Thanks

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here goes, it's only a 6" but you get the idea.
4126Speaker_1-med.jpg

4126speaker_12-med.jpg

4126speaker_6-med.jpg

4126speaker_9-med.jpg

4126speaker_10-med.jpg

4126speaker_11-med.jpg
4126speaker_5-med.jpg
4126speaker_4-med.jpg
4126speaker_12-med.jpg
4126All_Pictures_3-22-03_083-med.jpg
4126All_Pictures_3-22-03_085-med.jpg

4126All_Pictures_3-22-03_084-med.jpg

JL audio component in the doors & JL sub between the seats. You still get some from the center, but not much.
Hope this helps,

Andy

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Andy!!!!!! This is what I have been looking for! I wasn't sure how the box looked, now I know how to design one. I thought it was concieled or something, so I was having a problem visualizing it. Now I know!

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has an 8" in it now. A 10 would probably be too big. Get a dual Voice Coil 8" and it will be LOUD! It needs to be a DVC, so you can double the power.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Cerwin Vega (VEGA Pro) 8" with dual VC. I always like Cerwin Vega subs, kind of old school big magnet, poly cones, They need a lot of power but really put out. Kicker and JL are good subs for the $, No need to spend too much as its not going to make a lot of differance in a RT anyway. Just get a name brand and drive it with a good amp. Getting a good sub and cheap amp will sound like crap.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Andy!!!!!! This is what I have been looking for! I wasn't sure how the box looked, now I know how to design one. I thought it was concieled or something, so I was having a problem visualizing it. Now I know!

Your welcome, hope it helps. It sounds pretty dam good. I have (3) 800 watt amps in my 4 door truck so I like a good stereo. I would go ahead & replace the center also, it is a direct fit with no cutting & it does make a difference. The box works great & you can not tell it is there with the felt cover that I velcro to it. My wife is only 5' 5" so she uses it to brace her feet against when under boost. It does take up some room, but noone has ever complained that got a ride. Change out the door speakers also, a good set of components make it sound a lot better.
If you need any more info, let me know.

Andy

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oops, I did see where he said it is a 6". I tought it was an 8". I am going to try an 8" box setup with a dual voice coil and, since I have 2 speakers, I may duplicate the box, as I am making mine and sell the other one to whom ever wants it. It will be a while before I do this though... I'll be sure and post the process. -FROG-

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are pics of my 8" Kicker Sub between the seats.

10128sub-med.jpg

Good (not booming) bass. I also used Boston Acoustic's Pro-60's in the doors.

10128ftspkr-med.jpg

With the 200 watt amp that comes in the Pioneer Nav unit

10128headopen-2-med.jpg

the sound is incredible. :2tu: