WHICH TO BUY? 2000 RT10 OR 2001?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Academic right? Both creampuffs and the newer one has ABS.
BUT the same money and the 2000 has 10,000 miles and the 01 has 19,000. The 2000 is original owner and the 01 is from a dealer. Even with the mileage difference do I take the 01? Or do I take the fresher 2000 instead if I can beat the guy down a bit more? Thing is both cars are priced at $47000 so is a 2001 for $45,000 simply too much car to pass up? Is that price so good it is fishy?
Neither has warranty and one thing I hear a lot of, is make sure you have a warranty, and buy the lowest mileage car that you can afford. 10,000 miles is two years driving for me but how loose would an unmodified 20,000 mile Viper be?
Any thoughts?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an extended warranty regardless of which one you pick, Viper repairs can be very expensive. I'd go for the lower milage myself, a 9K difference is a lot on a Viper.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's a creampuff? Can't go wrong either way, neither one is a flakie. If I had to choose, get the 01 with abs.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an extended warranty regardless of which one you pick, Viper repairs can be very expensive. I'd go for the lower milage myself, a 9K difference is a lot on a Viper.

9k is a big difference on a Viper, but since he said 9k is a 2 years of driving to him, its going to be a semi garage queen. If it was going to be more a DD, I'd say get the lower mileage car b/c he's going to add mileage a lot faster. But since he's only gonna drive it sparingly, it will still have "low miles" even in a couple years with the way he plans on driving it.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the cars one owner? Can you transfer the warranty? What about color, etc? Look around until you figure out what you want. Not too many opportunities to buy the best car of your life.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 R/T10, and if all things were equal I'd take the 2001 for the ABS. But with the mileage difference I'd take the 2000 model. :2tu:

But I'd also figure in the color of each car into the decision. As well as how well maintained each car is.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 if it's steel grey. Other wise, 2001for the abs. I’ll get as many compliments on the color as I do the car.
Warranty is great, but the car are pretty much bullet proof. I bought my car with17k miles, now it has 38k. No biggie.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dude,
your prayers just got answered! Check out Hardviper's thread here. This is his ad on Autotrader.

Too much $ and too much car for me right now, but it is worth the money.I am importing to Canada so shipping and tax adds about $5000 on to my acquisition costs. That is why my budget is as low as it is. Also I don't mind bolt on adds because I want to add a warranty but forced induction wouldn't work with that.
I actually found yet another reasonably price low mileage 2000 in the Viperclubs own ads but it was sold. There are a few out there. The dealers seem to tack on about a 5k premium over most private sellers.

Thanks Andrew but I am looking for yellow or red if I go with an RT10. The one concession to the wife is getting a color she likes and she thought my Canary Yellow Z06 looked great.

EDIT-I just saw Hardviper is asking under 50k. ALMOST in my price range after all. Very nice.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: WHICH TO BUY? 2000 RT10 OR 2001?

How about a 1999 RT/10 Black with Cognac interior and 4600 original miles for 49K?

PM me if you are interested and want any pictures.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score

9k is a big difference on a Viper, but since he said 9k is a 2 years of driving to him, its going to be a semi garage queen. If it was going to be more a DD, I'd say get the lower mileage car b/c he's going to add mileage a lot faster. But since he's only gonna drive it sparingly, it will still have "low miles" even in a couple years with the way he plans on driving it.

Not really a garage queen but the sports car season in Alberta is April to October and if you take out the rainy days, and the days you need a back seat I don't put much mileage on. I did about 7000 last year in my Z06 driving it to work every day and one 1500 mile trip to Montana. I would be using the Viper less than that.
I was more concerned with how long the cars take to soften up. The Z06 was an 03 I bought with 6000 miles and sold with about 15000. The leather in the ass of the driver's seat was starting to show a bit of wear and the car had lost it's new feel in the way the doors latched and the telltale interior and chassis/engine noises.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: WHICH TO BUY? 2000 RT10 OR 2001?

How about a 1999 RT/10 Black with Cognac interior and 4600 original miles for 49K?

PM me if you are interested and want any pictures.

Nice car Mastiff but I have owned black before and the upkeep is just too much. Nothing looks better in the showroom or shows swirl marks and dust worse. Also I am not looking at paying a premium price for a super low miler. I will put 4600 miles on every year.
There aren't many black forged piston RTs out there with that kind of mileage though. I don't think you will have much problem selling it.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but the car are pretty much bullet proof. I bought my car with17k miles, now it has 38k. No biggie.

Some are, some are not.

I bought mine with 9K on it, and by 14K had to have an oil leak fixed (timing cover), new clutch and flywheel, complete tranny rebuild, drivers door hinge replaced and other smaller items. You might have the misfortune of getting a lemon like me, and you have no way to tell how the car was driven before you bought it with a used car. I had no extended warranty available mine was a '98, but a '00 or '01 could still purchase one. I strongly suggest it.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find all the discussion of mileage to be a bit silly. If you plan to buy a Viper as an investment, buy a car with less than 500 miles and seal it in a garage. If you plan to drive the car (funny but that's what I thought these cars were made for) then a 19,000 mile car is essentially new. If you can afford the extra, buy the 2001 with abs and enjoy driving the car.

To "invest" in a Viper that has in excess of say, 5,000 miles is, IMO, ridiculous. DRIVE the car, i.e. enjoy the car for it's value as one heck of a wild VEHICLE! Invest in the market....

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find all the discussion of mileage to be a bit silly. If you plan to buy a Viper as an investment, buy a car with less than 500 miles and seal it in a garage. If you plan to drive the car (funny but that's what I thought these cars were made for) then a 19,000 mile car is essentially new. If you can afford the extra, buy the 2001 with abs and enjoy driving the car.

To "invest" in a Viper that has in excess of say, 5,000 miles is, IMO, ridiculous. DRIVE the car, i.e. enjoy the car for it's value as one heck of a wild VEHICLE! Invest in the market....

Totally agree. Buy it to drive!

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check Out This GREAT Deal!
Letting Her Go Cheap!
#637120 - 01/18/06 10:22 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

See Her At: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=193107727&dealer_id=57240407&car_year=2001&model=VIPER&bkms=1137608200165&lang=&isp=y&start_year=2001&certified=&search_type=used&distance=25&make=DODGE&min_price=&address=92591&advanced=&end_year=2001&max_price=&cardist=0

I must let my baby go, I will let her go to one of you guy's for $49,777.00
Tell A Friend

Email [email protected]
Now she's on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4606196804&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

--------------------
RED 2001 RT/10 BELANGER HEADERS, CORSA EXHAUST WITH HIGH FLOW CATS, DAYTONA REAR SPOILER, NEW EIBACH SPRINGS LOWERED 1 INCH, PAXTON SUPERCHARGER.

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
but the car are pretty much bullet proof. I bought my car with17k miles, now it has 38k. No biggie.

Some are, some are not.

I bought mine with 9K on it, and by 14K had to have an oil leak fixed (timing cover), new clutch and flywheel, complete tranny rebuild, drivers door hinge replaced and other smaller items. You might have the misfortune of getting a lemon like me, and you have no way to tell how the car was driven before you bought it with a used car. I had no extended warranty available mine was a '98, but a '00 or '01 could still purchase one. I strongly suggest it.

How can a '00 still get a warranty? I'd sure like to have one in case something happens to mine :confused:

--wes

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan on 4500 miles/yr then consider that the 2000 has 2 extra years of future driving than the 2001. ABS is just another electronic thing that can malfunction when you need it. I have it on other cars and hate it. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Some are, some are not.

How can a '00 still get a warranty? I'd sure like to have one in case something happens to mine :confused:

--wes

Contact your Dodge dealer. They can sell you extended warranty on Vipers that aren't too old. I don't know the particulars except the 99 I called on was too old to buy a warranty from unless you go through one of these aftermarket outfits that have no connection with DC.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses guys. When I first started looking it was for a 97-99 GTS only, and the the RT10 got in the running because of lower asking prices. Funny how I wasn't that concerned with warranty on the 97 GTS and now I am looking at 00 or newer it became a priority.
Maybe someone will buy the wing and blower off of Hardviper's car so I can afford to buy it:) It deserves to go to a good home :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave