Front license plate law

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just read this in my Autoweek.

"On-the front-license-plate issue. Many States with front plate requirments have options that say no front plate is required if the vehicle is manufactured without a built-in provision for one. Nevada has such an option and I'm sure other states do. All C6 Corvettes are affected,as well as the Solstice and likely the Saturn Sky."

Any one have info on this subject for other states?
And i'm guessing My viper would fit into this also. I know they have a bracket i could screw in but so does the C6 Vette

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Colorado doesn't have an exemption that applies to newer cars. Older "street rods" are exempt.

It's less than a $20 fine here in Colorado. I wouldn't put on a front plate just because of fear of a $20 fine.

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chicago Police walk around and look at cars parked on the street, if you dont have a front plate they hit you with it. My car gets about $100 bucks worth of fines a month for no front plate. Its a 50 dollar ticket each time. I started to keep tickets in my glove box, when I park, I put it on the car.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chicago Police walk around and look at cars parked on the street, if you dont have a front plate they hit you with it. My car gets about $100 bucks worth of fines a month for no front plate. Its a 50 dollar ticket each time. I started to keep tickets in my glove box, when I park, I put it on the car.

good idea.

I could only wish it was 20 bucks. Last summer only got 1 but it was 125.00
the summer before that one it was 2 front plate tickets each alittle over 100.00 plus the [******] got me on 20% window tint.......
They make us pay court cost even if you don't go to court.......That makes since huh???

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you guys install the removeable rubber clips for front plates. They work great, you put them on when driving and take them off whenever you like without any damage to the car.

Just a thought
Patrick

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose that the laws might have changed, but when I was ticketed in the past (not in the Viper) with no front plates, it was just a fix-it ticket. Both times, I just wired up a front plate, drove to the police station and had the ticket signed off. :cool:

And in 8 years of having no plates on 3 of my cars (previously a Corvette) and the last 5 years of the Viper, I haven't been sited for no front plates once.
Despite being daily drivers. :laugh:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a $90.00 ticket here in New York, I got one from a NY Highway cop last month. Just mailed in the fine, it's the cost of ownership. The law is applied very unevenly, I've passed hundreds of local cops with no prob, but the NYC ***** was all over me.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over here its an $86 dollar ticket for no front plate! :( $20 woudln't be so bad but it sitll doesn't make me put a plate on the vette or viper.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 06 coupe I noticed when I opened the trunk, there was a factory mount for the front license plate. But du u think Im really going to put it on NOT!!!!!!!!! :D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NJ it is $44 and it is just stupid. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes the cop wants to be a pain. I find it more so when you are already pulled over from the stories I hear and then they find the front plate as a way to add to your stress.

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's $80 here.....I've been stopped several times....told that cops I refused to drill a hole in the bumper....and that whole suction cup deal looks like sh&$.....The officer told me last time that I should have thought about that "before you bought a car like this." Gotta love haters.....I told him that I would just budget an extra $160 a month for plate fines!!!! The whole thing is so stupid....what a dumb law!!!! :p

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I'm in NC without that kind of stupid law! You guys should get the laws changed!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys should get the laws changed!

Exactly. Plea to the state about how much money other states save by only issuing one plate instead of two and that the savings can go to...are you ready for this?...THE CHILDREN!

Yes! It is not sports car owners that suffer from having a front plate, it's the children. Money better spent on schools, and teachers, and education, and shoes. It's those poor, poor children that suffer from these front plate laws. The states with front plates are children haters.

In fact, a study done by the Institute of Chuck revealed that every single state with a front plate law had worse schools than states without the law. Feel free to use this highly thorough and scientific study in your argument.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Think I'm going to write my local congressmen.........
I talked to a few people on Friday about the "Exemption" in Ohio and they told me Ohio doesn't have the exemption.
I just wish I had the time to really put 100% in to this.
What doesn't make since is that Some state require it and some don't......Either make every state require it or no states. Is it for traffic camera reasons? I doubt it.
Is it for law inforcement? What is the real reason some state require 2 plates? Where is the equality?lol