Engine Smoke

Viper Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After taking a corner pretty hard then punching it I noticed a big cloud of bluish-white smoke coming out of my exhaust pipes. It's never done that before and the only thing that has changed is addition of roller rockers, 62mm throttle bodies and oil change. The engine only has 20K on it and has been well maintained.

I doubt if the roller rockers or throttle bodies could cause this so I checked the oil and it is a couple of mm's past the full line - at the first "L" in FULL (stamped on the dip stick).

Do you think the hard turn and high oil level caused oil to get in the cylinders and when I punched it, I was probably buring out that oil?

Appreciate any advice :cool: ;

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's common for the car to eat a little oil after a hard braking session(oil moves from the valve covers to the airbox then into the TBs'). I would worry too much about it unless it smokes all the time. :2tu:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As 99RT10 points out, this issue is related to cornering and breaking. PCV system that Viper uses, is poorly designed for this type of car. You should fix it. The oil in the intake reduces the fuel's octane level => engin killer.
Basically you have two options:
- Vent the crankcase elsewhere than the air filter. (Free air, catch can)
- Insert a breather into your valve cover and route it to the air filter.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As 99RT10 points out, this issue is related to cornering and breaking. PCV system that Viper uses, is poorly designed for this type of car. You should fix it. The oil in the intake reduces the fuel's octane level => engin killer.
Basically you have two options:
- Vent the crankcase elsewhere than the air filter. (Free air, catch can)
- Insert a breather into your valve cover and route it to the air filter.

Does anyone have pics of either of these 2 options done? Anytime I hear "engine killer", I get squirmy

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have taken corners in a similar fashion before and have not had this happen, adding on top that you just had an oil change, then I would check to see if your oil level is not too high.

EDIT: I see that you have checked and it was past full. Then you can expect this too happen. Drain off some oil.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have two issues:

The PCV valve under the intake should be blocked and a breather added to the existing oil fill on the valve cover. The PCV valve vents oil mist back into the intake when you go to high vacuum such as engine braking. Merely cap off the two vacuum tubes on the front of the intake and plug off the PCV valve outlet. Sean Roe has the breather that fits the oil fill cap on the valve cover.

The above is not why you blew the smoke. On the front of the valve covers are two tubes that are attached together thru a hose which than tee's off into the intake tubes or the air box. When you do a hard brake or set some G's on a long sweeper on the track, oil flows forward into the tubes, then, out and into the airbox. This is compounded when you go to aftermarket rockers. They flow more oil, therefore, more readily fill the upper cylinder head area with oil. The outlets on the front of the valve covers should be routed into a catch can away from the intake tubes or airbox.

Anyone that tracks a car would be shocked at the oil that accumulates in the intake and the heads. It is an oil film in the intake and it gets baked in as it gets closer to the heads. This has to rob us of some hp. Pull the valve cover outlet hose off at the airbox and see how oily the hose interior is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950