Wanting Gen III Viper convert

Viperlady

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, but would like some input on which year of Gen III is better, the 03's or 04's? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and hello from just down the road in South Carolina!To answer your question,I don't think there's much difference between an 03 and an 04.All else being equal,you might want to go with an 04 just because it wasn't the first year of genIII production.There have been some issues with crank damper bolts backing out on 03's *** 04's-there was a thread on here recently about that-I think they changed the bolt in mid 05 production.
There are a lot of low mileage genIII verts out there on the market right now.If you want to get one from a dealer try Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge.You can go to their website and check out their inventory.Good luck with the search-hope you find one you like.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what you are going for, lower mileage or cheaper car...They are almost identical. :cool:
BTW, welcome to the club. :2tu:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Red Calipers in '04

Other than that, just age!

I believe both will have the advantage of the 7 year warranty standard.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been some issues with crank damper bolts backing out on 03's *** 04's-there was a thread on here recently about that-I think they changed the bolt in mid 05 production.

The 03's didn't have issues with damper bolts since their bolts were larger. All that started with 04's. If the choice is 03 or 04 your probably better off with the 03s'

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is GenIII forum but I just looked at that Viper Buyes Guide on a 1998 (which I own)

1998 RT/10
Exterior colors: Red or silver
Interior color: Black
New hood from GTS w/NACA ducts and vents
New GTS front fascia
New lower-force airbags with cut-off switch
New tubular exhaust

1998 GTS
Exterior colors: Red, red w/silver stripes, silver, or silver w/blue stripes
Interior color: Black
new lower-force airbags with cut-off switch
New tubular exhaust

New Hood in a 1998 RT/10? Didn't the 97 GenII have the GTS hood?
What about textured dash?
What about alarm turn off switch?
What about emergency enter/exit handles?
What about change of header design and lighter headers?
What about stronger and better polished 17" wheels ?

?

G

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a word of caution. If you buy an 03', make sure the valve issue was taken care of by a dealer. Good luck! Also, I think the calipers on the 04' are red and the 03' are black.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Hood in a 1998 RT/10? Didn't the 97 GenII have the GTS hood?

3992DSC00867-med.JPG

7715MazMan_97-med.JPG

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the 03's and 04's have a standard 7 year warantee??

Bc

Yes. 3 year 36K bumper to bumper and 7 year 70K Powertrain warranty. I would say 2004 is the year to buy. This way you get the red calipers and get away from the bolt issue.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, you still have the bolt issue in 04, but it is an easy fix if even needed. But you don't have the valve issue or the first year assembly glitches. I also would buy an 04 if those are your choices.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry. Did not even realize that. It was 04 too. I would still stick with an 04 for the same reasons Kwiksilver stated. First year glitches can be a pain!

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a word of caution. If you buy an 03', make sure the valve issue was taken care of by a dealer. Good luck! Also, I think the calipers on the 04' are red and the 03' are black.

I did a forum search on the 03 valve issue..........and came up with nothing.

So I ask "what is this valve issue?
Does it effect all 03's or just certain production date cars?
I have a 03 that seems to enjoy the Mobile 1 oil too much.
Alittle help what be great.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I ask "what is this valve issue?

2003s:

A batch of SRT-10s built in spring of 2003 received valves, which were not ground correctly, causing a loss in horsepower. Dodge issued a recall to replace the valves. Plus headlights are known to flicker off and on. A recall was issued to reprogram the computer.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, and surprisingly, the 2003 had very few issues. Yes, there were a few that had a second grind missing from the valves, but that was an easy swap that immediately increased the missing HP. There was a flash for a bog and headlight flicker and THAT'S IT. The other year issues have had catastrophic failures with the crankshaft bolts and such.

So - if I could find the right deal - I certainly wouldn't shy away from an '03 - in fact, I might prefer one.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 RT/10:

The 1996 RT/10 was a transitional car. Team Viper gave the roadster the new lighter and stiffer chassis with cast-aluminum A-arms, cast-aluminum five-spoke wheels, and rear-exit exhaust from the coupe, but retained the original body, interior, and engine.

1997 RT/10:

The 1997 model received most of the rest of the updates from the GTS coupe. New interior, outside door handles and power windows, and the 450-hp engine. This was the final year for the "smoothie" hood.

1998 RT/10:

Dodge completed the transition to the second generation for the RT/10 in 1998 by switching to the GTS-style hood with its NACA duct and vents.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the valve info. I'll have to check the build date on the car. I was not they original owner. I did check with the dealer before and they didn't say anything about the valves, but they did replace the fan/fan housing under a recall. ( the thing shook like a *****, when it came on).

NOW WHEEL HOP IS ANOTHER ISSUE :curse: