5 pt harness obsolete?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know the details on the phase out of 5 pt harnesses (for 6)? Is this a rule by some sanctioning body or just industry standard? jc

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Nope, everyone is still selling 5 points.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Eff Feb 2005, LAST YEAR, SCCA announced in the GCR (General Competition Rules)
that effective 2/5/2005, a minumum level of SIX point belts will be required in road-race cars, after the certification expires on belts made prior to that date.

So.... you can still buy 5-pt belts and use em where they are accepted, but if you try to pass tech in SCCA road race applications (Not Auto-X) then you need 6 or 7 or 8-point belts once belts built before 2/2005 expire (2 years)

Since FIA and SCCA are the leaders, expect others to follow.

(anyone who has compared the safety and car-control benefits of 6 vs. 5 knows why...so does anyone who has CRASHED, especially in a rollover)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't beat 6 points and will never get a GF or wife to use them.The 5 points are a compromise and not a good one but far better than the 3 points.Going racing for real?Only a retard would use 5 points.Yep I have 5 pts due to wife's input. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be a retard to even ask (or consider them, although they are acceptable to Viper Days series and my buddy has them in his F40LM).

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have ever crashed really hard, you'll understand how much better 6 points are than 5. Take a look at sky divers. Their harnesses are, for all intents and purposes 6 point harnesses. Can you imagine a five point harness with the fifth squarely over the family jewels and you pull the rip cord? Think about the opening shock which is much less than crashing at high speed and where the crotch strap is going to end up.

6 point harnesses are merely the latest advancement in driver safety, just like the Hans device or full face helemts and the use of nomex instead of chemically treated cotton.

I guess they call it progress.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trouble is with the 5 points unless you had a race seat you can never really have the anti submarine belt work properly when used with stock seats.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you installed 6 pts with stock seats? I am thinking of doing so until I get some opportunity to try out some different racing seats. Archer says its a PITA. Your impressions?

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed 6-pts in my GTS with stock seats... worked well.

I now have sparco race seats though because you still move around a lot in the stock seats (although much better with 6-pts) and I was tired of coming home with a bruised left knee after a weekend of driving!

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I got Team Tech 6 pts on order, from someone who claims to have tons of Simpsons laying around that have been removed from CC's due to being a very uncomfortable harness. I guess I will take the voice of experience to heart here. Glad to hear you guys had no install hassles. Hope mine goes as well! See you on the track! Jim

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a stupid comment but if you are using a stock SRT-10 seat, on the street only, what about using a 4 point harness instead of the uncomfortable factory seat belts. I have has these in my Ferraris in the past. It is true that girl friends and wifes will not use the 5th belt.This has to be safer than the factory setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper