The Horror...We Have Volkswagen Parts on our Vipers!!!

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was installing a set of Silverstar head and foglamps today when I noticed on the inside of the foglamp bezel had VW/Audi logo on it, stating made in Germany..I was a little stunned....wondering if there are any other foreign objects on our Vipers...AL... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's lot's of other car's parts on the Viper. Check the forum past history. If DCX had to come up with all original pieces the car would have cost twice as much. Or half as much profit...

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GR8 is right(forgot about that), BUT there is another FORD part also. (not much $$$, but very important)

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you like driving your brand new Volkswagen Rolls Royce :shocked: It's common place now to share parts. Keeps costs down.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's lot's of other car's parts on the Viper. Check the forum past history. If DCX had to come up with all original pieces the car would have cost twice as much. Or half as much profit...

If it came to double the price or DC making 1/2 profit, I think Dodge wouldve chosen the latter

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gerald, that hurt......

No, actually it the wheel studs. found them for 98¢ each at advanced auto, or you can buy the factory parts for around $9 each at dodge.

They are the same wheel studs used on mustangs.....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think the GTS air conditioning controls are stock Ford stuff....

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of VW parts, the MAF from a jetta is the same as the MAFS on my BMW M5...

56 bucks from VW

400 bucks from BMW

LOL.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headlight switch is indeed a Ford part, but not a US Ford part. It's from some overseas Ford.

My favorite is the front side markers. They are made by Petersen for trailers and such. Wal-Mart has 'em for under $3.00. I bought replacements for my trailer and found them to be indentical down to the part numbers on the lense.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
side mirrors are mitsubishi

But then again, the Stealth/3000GT deal was ORIGINALLY issued by Dodge (if I remember the books about the Viper correctly though :eek: ) :p

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Light switch.

The Gen I and II headlight switches are actually from a Ford Contour/Mystake. They're made by Eaton (now Delphi) with a Viper specific knob.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used an old knob from a dimmer switch to replace the pedal adjustment knob that never came with the car when I got it. Does it count? ;)

Santo

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Gen I and II headlight switches are actually from a Ford Contour/Mystake. They're made by Eaton (now Delphi) with a Viper specific knob.

I drove my sister's Ford ****** once and I think it has the same light switch. I thought that was kinda odd. It was slightly different as I don't think fog lights came on when you pulled.

Santo

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headlight switch is indeed a Ford part, but not a US Ford part. It's from some overseas Ford.

My favorite is the front side markers. They are made by Petersen for trailers and such. Wal-Mart has 'em for under $3.00. I bought replacements for my trailer and found them to be indentical down to the part numbers on the lense.

Peterson Manufacturing,(not sure if it's son or sen) one of the worlds leading lens and light makers, is Headquartered, and manufactures less than a 1/2 a mile from my place of business! I know one of the owners, good people. Just a few years back he built himself a stand alone car museum on his property and now keeps a full time mechanic to care for his car collection. He has mostly Studebaker's, a Ferrari or two, and a few other oldies. I think he keeps 40 cars in the museum. He also started a roundy round die cast business gomotorbids.com but I hear it's not doing as well as the parent company, Peterson Manufacturing.

Anyone need me to go grab a hand full of side marker lenses next time I'm there? Never mind, Don won't let me back in if I grab and run!! :D

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Light switch.

Anyone know if the year of the Contour/Mystake matters? My switch seems to have a short in it and I need to get it replaced. The Ford dealership here stocks millions of parts, Dodge stocks maybe 20 (and no Viper parts) lol.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V10 Speedlover. I dont know if the ford part will fit but I just ordered a new headlight switch from dodge and I paid $45 for the KNOB only. (my old one just falls off. I cant turn my fog lights on since the knob just comes off) New one still just falls off. Maybe I'm missing something else, nothing looks broken under the knob. Any ideas from anyone out there?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$45 for a knob only? Great. Meaning the whole switch assembly should only probably be $100 :curse: Since mine is a Gen 1, the headlight switch only controls the headlights. The foglight switch is 1 of the rocker switches in the center console. Maybe that'll make it cheaper..but I doubt it. I'm sure the Contour part would be $25 max. Noone out there knows what year Contour/Mystique have the same switches as Gen 1's?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Danno,
if I remeber there is also some type of clip that is at the end of the knob. your new knob may be okay but the actual switch retainer may be broke.

Mine broke also, and I relied on friction (read: electical tape) to fit interference on broke knob. so far, 1 year and knob is just fine.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. A Ferrari has a lot of Bosch parts in it. Yep they are 1/10 of cost of the same part in a Ferrari box. Viper tax? Believe me you have no idea and wouldn't believe Ferrari tax. Ok an example. You get a mini mag lite in the tool kit leather case or your doccument case. It has Ferrari printed on it(decale).The batteries were never checked and left in for 10 years. Absolutely cannot be repaired per mag lite due to the extreme amount of internal damage. New one decaled ferrari if you can find one for sale $130.00. Yep I bought one that didn't say Ferrari for $12.00. GTS Bruce

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh