For the love of god, why can't I get a test drive??...*MICHIGAN OWNERS*

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the love of god, why can\'t I get a test drive??...*MICHIGAN OWNERS*

The most annoying thing is when a younger person tries to buy a nice vehicle and the dealer doesn't take them seriously. I have been trying to test a drive an SRT-10 and the dealers are always giving me crap about it. I am 25 and looking to get into either a C6 Z06 (which I have an order on, incase I do not like the Viper) or an SRT-10. I have driven a C6 Z06, and now I really want to drive a SRT-10 so I can see the differences before i finalize my C6 Z order.

Is there ANYONE in MI that is willing to let me test drive (while you, the owner is with me in the car, of course) their SRT-10?? This would be much appreciated. And if not, does anyone know of ANY dealers that will not give me crap about it and let me take out an SRT for a test run? Thanks everyone.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: For the love of god, why can\'t I get a test drive??...*MICHIGAN OWNERS*

I'm assuming most dealers will let you test drive an SRT IF you agree to do the paperwork and get approved 1st. I've gone to a Dodge dealership before (in the Viper) and they still wanted me to "do the paperwork" before they let me go on a test drive. I can see their side of it, but I wont let anyone run my credit on a car until I'm sure that its the car I want.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Assuming you are talking about a new Viper there is no need to test drive it. It is rough riding, loud and hot. It does not have the creature comforts or "training wheels" the Vette has.

The two are like only in looks and performance, not in feel.

But you should know all that already.

If you liked the Vette, buy the Vette.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't test drive my Viper.

I've known I wanted one since they were first introduced.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can rent one here in Vegas. The weather is nice so come on, fly on down, rent a Viper (SRT Track Exp. is this weekend in Vegas)take it to LVMS and really have some fun. Oh and don't forget to make your donation in one of our fine establishments. Don't feel bad, I'm over 50 and they wouldn't let me test drive one either.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking for a test drive in a Viper in January/February in Michigan will get you zero offers. No matter who you are.

I never test drove a Viper at a dealership either. When I purchased my first Viper the dealers would not even let you sit in their show room model. No age effect at all.

Based on what I read into your post I say follow through with you vette order. You are probably looking for a year round daily driver. The Viper is not that.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My dealer didn't allow test drives period.(in vipers) Bought it anyway, never looked back. Had a C-5 with about 450 HP and the SRT-10 is 10 times the fun to own and drive. I hate to agree with chuck, but if you like the chevy, then it might be right for you.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

May I recommend, if you can, rent a Viper for the day. There is no way you can truly appreciate what this vehicle has to offer by a simple test drive. Just be careful because it ain't your every day car!!

You are going to love it!

Good luck
Patrick

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did not test drive my car till I ordered it and it was sitting at the dealership. Bought the car and did not take delievery for three months. Wanted nice weather as it was January. Flew in for a weekend to just check the car and then I got to drive it but that was about it. Did not really think to test drive it. Just wanted one since introduced.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Assuming you are talking about a new Viper there is no need to test drive it. It is rough riding, loud and hot. It does not have the creature comforts or "training wheels" the Vette has.

The two are like only in looks and performance, not in feel.

But you should know all that already.

If you liked the Vette, buy the Vette.

I am talking about an SRT-10, 2004.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking for a test drive in a Viper in January/February in Michigan will get you zero offers. No matter who you are.

I never test drove a Viper at a dealership either. When I purchased my first Viper the dealers would not even let you sit in their show room model. No age effect at all.

Based on what I read into your post I say follow through with you vette order. You are probably looking for a year round daily driver. The Viper is not that.

Spring, summer, fall, winter, it doesn't matter. Can't get a test drive.
Yes, I am looking for a car I can drive a lot. I don't see why a Viper can't be that. My friend drives his 98 RT/10 everyday (unless it is snowing). I have a daily ****** I use, but the Viper I would drive all spring and summer.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate to agree with chuck, but if you like the chevy, then it might be right for you.

I know it is right for me. But just because I liked the vet doesn't mean I wont like the Viper

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

May I recommend, if you can, rent a Viper for the day. There is no way you can truly appreciate what this vehicle has to offer by a simple test drive. Just be careful because it ain't your every day car!!

You are going to love it!

Good luck
Patrick
I wish I can find a place that rents them out around my area. I looked for ages and can't find anything

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fadi:Most new viper buyers who buy in the showroom want "******"cars with little or no miles. I looked for a showroom perfect car and would not have paid top dollar for one with user test miles. The dealers know that well and realize a viper with 100 miles of user test miles must sell for much less. Let 3 or 4 test drives and the miles add on. Also a short test drive over gravel will do a number on the sills(pits). This does not bode well for most prospective Viper(new) buyers who want a mint condition looking car.
There is also more exclusivity owning a Viper vs Z06. You will sense that when driving around and spotting dozens of Vets. It my two years of ownership I have only seen three Vipers on the road.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Drove to my local dealership here in my 2000 gts, wanting to test drive the 05 copperhead, they got the keys, I left my car and I test drove the copperhead. No paper work no nothing, I was amazed, I didnt like the vert option, just really wanted to get a feal of the new 05,06. Ended up buying a new 06 coupe but not from them,

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipers can get away from a person too easy. Trust us if you like torque, you'll love the Viper. If you love easy driving and a car that blends in with others, buy the Vette. Two different worlds. One is for the few, the other is for the masses.

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bought both my Vipers sans test drives. With a Viper you love it and buy it and drive it. You are not buying a commodity, but rather a lifestyle on the edge. The raw sensuality and mystique of the Beast are what attracts you to it and as you learn more about the Viper you will love it even more.

I have owned Vettes, Maserati,s, Mercedes among others and there is no comparison the feeling I get when hopping into the Viper. It is a dangerous car and you must be on top of it at all times, I love that about it.
If you do not covet the Viper prior to buying it you should buy the Vette
eagles

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< I am 25 >>

unfortunately, i think you answered your own question. yes it sux, but your age is your liability right now. i agree with the others, if you really want a test drive, you may want to rent one somewhere even if it is in your parents name if you have a problem there too.

they probably think you are just some non-buying punk wanting to go for a joy ride. i bet if you bring in some kind of pre-approval letter from a lending institution, there attitude will change quickly. good luck.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If your really serious about it, then as stated above, fly out to Vegas and rent the car. If you have $80,000 to spend on a car, whats the big deal in spending an extra grand to solidify your decision. Besides you can make a weekend out of it. H$ll, I spent more than that in gas driving all over the West coast looking for my car. I got plenty of test drives, but I never even asked to drive any of the cars. I always wanted to be the passenger, because I can concentrate on all the sounds, feel, gauges, etc. without being distracted by the owner. Like most of you, I knew I was buying the car period, no possible alternative.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought mine without even asking for a test drive. Do you really think a little spin around the block at 40 mph is going to tell you something? The dealer is not going to let you hammer it so whats the point?

There is so much information here on these boards that if you study it enough you will already know the answers. If you are doubtful than it's probably not the car for you.

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Test Drive, that's what I did on the way home after writing a check! And my first was a used RT/10. Test drive, that's what I did when my new SRT10 was unloaded from the enclosed trailer AFTER I had written another check.

If you really need a test drive, buy a Vette.

Bill

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am 25 and looking to get into either a C6 Z06 (which I have an order on, incase I do not like the Viper) or an SRT-10.
What could you discover in a test drive that would stop you from buying it? I test drove a Viper before I decided to but one, but I had pretty much already made up my mind I was going to own one. Whatever problems the Viper had, I would fix them or live with em but one way or in other, I was going to own a Viper.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like how everybody is giving advice but no offers for a test drive. Here's mine;I ordered my '03 SRT 10 before they were available picked it up in January and didn't drive it until Spring, with exception of into the trailer. That being said if you want to drive to almost the Ilinois/Wisconsin border you can test drive mine, assuming to weather is nice that weekend. Send me a PM and we can set it up.

Steve

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like how everybody is giving advice but no offers for a test drive. Here's mine;I ordered my '03 SRT 10 before they were available picked it up in January and didn't drive it until Spring, with exception of into the trailer. That being said if you want to drive to almost the Ilinois/Wisconsin border you can test drive mine, assuming to weather is nice that weekend. Send me a PM and we can set it up.

Steve

Thanks so much. I will def. keep you in mind if I don't get a ride soon.

Thanks again for the kind offer.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's no excuse for a dealer to not let a serious buyer take a car out for a test drive, no matter what it is. The buyer should always be able to know how the exact car he's going to buy feels on the road.

If we go in Fadi's C5 Z06, or the RT/10 to get a test drive, there shouldn't be any question about the seriousness.

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My first ride in a Viper cost 62,000 dollars
the cost of the ride consistently gets better
from there--------------

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like most everyone else, my mind was made up that I was buying a Viper before I drove one. I knew what to expect for the most part and wasnt going to settle for anything else. I drove to NC on a Friday night, met the seller at his office on Saturday and he let me test drive the car. It kinda surprised me, but he let me go alone and stayed at his office. I'm sure that was only b/c he knew I had a fat cashier's check in my back pocket and I had 2 family members of mine there he could hold hostage if I didnt return the car lol.

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not being able to test drive a car is [******]. And it is not a big deal to put 10 miles on a car as the dealer rides along with you. Even if I was buying a new Ferrari, I wouldn't buy it without a test drive. I got my SRT vert from Palmer Dodge in Atlanta and the first thing that they did when I showed up was get the keys and let me take it out. What really closes the deal for them is when the buyer drives it, not looking at it on the showroom floor.

If I lived closer, I'd be happy to let you rip off some miles on mine. Maybe go to a place that has a used one, beat on it, then order your new one. I have never driven an 06 Z06, but I am really happy with the Viper. I would prefer a coupe to my vert based on looks and the stripes, but I can't give up being able to put the top down. I drive the car every day and it is never uncomfortable until you have to get in and out. As far as looks go, three people gave me the thumbs up today and two came up to me when the car was parked and asked a bunch of questions. Vette owners don't get that kind of attention. Peace.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny story but when I first went to the dealership with my Yukon, trying to get a test drive was like trying to get Pamela Anderson to make a home movie with me........

Second time around I showed up with my Porsche Turbo and I couldn't say no to offers of test drive.

Thats the society we live in folks!

Patrick

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought 2 vipers, not really test driving either one of them. 1st one, my test drive came after I signed the papers, not that I wasnt offered a test drive, it was that it DIDNT MATTER what it felt like, what it drove like. It was my dream and the euforia lasted just over 3 years. Buying a viper is an emotional decision, if you dont love the car for being what it is, then a test drive wont do anything for you. The second Viper I bought, I paid cash (think about how scary that is if you dont like it), and only drove it around the block to appease the dealership, when I had already decided I was going to buy it.

Test drives dont sell vipers.... Vipers sell vipers. Owners will understand me.

Jon