Thread: Help. My SRT Wheels are peeling!

Reply to Thread
    Viper Owner

Default Help. My SRT Wheels are peeling!

The clear coat,I think, is peeling off my 2003 SRT-10 Wheels. They have only been hand washed. No acid ever. They have no scratches or curb marks. The car has 10K miles and is always parked in the garage. Does the warranty cover this problem?

VCA Member
    Northeast
    NE Director at Large

Default Re: Help. My SRT Wheels are peeling!

Should be covered under 3yr/36K mile warranty. Do you know when you in service date is?

Viper Owner

I had the same problem a few months ago and the dealership sent them out to a wheel refinisher. I tried to get them replaced but they wouldn't go for it. The wheels look great now. Be sure you get all 4 wheels redone because the finish will be a little duller than it was from the factory. My photos were taken after they were refinished. Good luck.

Viper Owner

Your 3 year 36,000 warranty will cover this. I had the same problem on a few of my wheels. Was the most annoying thing in the world since I think I had it on about 4-6 different occassions. Had them replated the first time (all 4) and then it happened again. Called the dealer and they had the "inspector" come and look at them and then got some replaced. I still could not understand how this was possible. Just normal driving and washing.

If the warranty is expired then you would be out of luck since "materialistic" items are not covered on any other type of warranty, including extended warranties. As long as it works, to Dodge it is not a problem. If this happens your other option is to have the rim redone which runs between $100 & $150, only problem is it does not ever look original again. The peeling part usually seems to be a bit duller than the rest of the rim.

I have given up on the polished wheels and finally just bought chrome ones. Hopefully I will not have the same problem.

Viper Owner

My 04 (4000 miles) wheels are starting to look like gun metal and I dont use ANYTHING on them but auto soap and water. Thanks for posting this... I will have to take them in to have them looked at.

Brian

Viper Owner

My 04 (4000 miles) wheels are starting to look like gun metal and I dont use ANYTHING on them but auto soap and water. Thanks for posting this... I will have to take them in to have them looked at.

Brian
    Just when you think you are doing everything right with cleaning and then it happens. I think some of the wheels were just not made properly or they are just not great quality. Good luck with the fix.

Viper Owner

That sucks.

I tried to have my GTS wheels reconditioned, after a lot of heat cycles in them from tracking, and no one can get the clear coat right again. I ended up just buying a 2nd set from someone else I used on the street only. Good luck, and keep us posted. I may be moving over here soon and need to get up to speed on the SRT's

Viper Owner

That sucks.

I tried to have my GTS wheels reconditioned, after a lot of heat cycles in them from tracking, and no one can get the clear coat right again. I ended up just buying a 2nd set from someone else I used on the street only. Good luck, and keep us posted. I may be moving over here soon and need to get up to speed on the SRT's
    Same here. Never looked the same again.