Help. My SRT Wheels are peeling!

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clear coat,I think, is peeling off my 2003 SRT-10 Wheels. They have only been hand washed. No acid ever. They have no scratches or curb marks. The car has 10K miles and is always parked in the garage. Does the warranty cover this problem?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be covered under 3yr/36K mile warranty. Do you know when you in service date is?

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few months ago and the dealership sent them out to a wheel refinisher. I tried to get them replaced but they wouldn't go for it. The wheels look great now. Be sure you get all 4 wheels redone because the finish will be a little duller than it was from the factory. My photos were taken after they were refinished. Good luck.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your 3 year 36,000 warranty will cover this. I had the same problem on a few of my wheels. Was the most annoying thing in the world since I think I had it on about 4-6 different occassions. Had them replated the first time (all 4) and then it happened again. Called the dealer and they had the "inspector" come and look at them and then got some replaced. I still could not understand how this was possible. Just normal driving and washing.

If the warranty is expired then you would be out of luck since "materialistic" items are not covered on any other type of warranty, including extended warranties. As long as it works, to Dodge it is not a problem. If this happens your other option is to have the rim redone which runs between $100 & $150, only problem is it does not ever look original again. The peeling part usually seems to be a bit duller than the rest of the rim.

I have given up on the polished wheels and finally just bought chrome ones. Hopefully I will not have the same problem.

1stViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 04 (4000 miles) wheels are starting to look like gun metal and I dont use ANYTHING on them but auto soap and water. Thanks for posting this... I will have to take them in to have them looked at.

Brian

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 04 (4000 miles) wheels are starting to look like gun metal and I dont use ANYTHING on them but auto soap and water. Thanks for posting this... I will have to take them in to have them looked at.

Brian

Just when you think you are doing everything right with cleaning and then it happens. I think some of the wheels were just not made properly or they are just not great quality. Good luck with the fix.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****.

I tried to have my GTS wheels reconditioned, after a lot of heat cycles in them from tracking, and no one can get the clear coat right again. I ended up just buying a 2nd set from someone else I used on the street only. Good luck, and keep us posted. I may be moving over here soon and need to get up to speed on the SRT's

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****.

I tried to have my GTS wheels reconditioned, after a lot of heat cycles in them from tracking, and no one can get the clear coat right again. I ended up just buying a 2nd set from someone else I used on the street only. Good luck, and keep us posted. I may be moving over here soon and need to get up to speed on the SRT's

Same here. Never looked the same again.