Front end swaying????

DviperX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GTS. Some times not always it feels as though there is slack in the steering and the wheels dart left or right. Just as quick as it does that it becomes tight with no movement. Could it be tire problems or what?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Miles ? Past accident / repair?

Somewhat Normal in rutty roads with OE alignment

PS pump.
PS Pulley / serpentine
Steering Rack

Could be Dangerous. get it checked.

ZOOMBI U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could be feeling the ruts or groves in the road. High performance tires generate alot of grip and responsiveness, the wider the tires the more they get tossed around in grooves left on heavenly used highways.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 02 RT/10 and feel the same thing. It almost feels like it pulls to the right or left almost like the steering stabilizer is preloaded and putting pressure on the linkage. If it’s pulling right or left a slight turn the opposite way will terminate the feeling. I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS ALSO....I will have it looked at before spring, if I get an answer, I will definitely post it.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I beleive what you guys are experiencing is the result of WIDE tires on a road commonly traveled with NARROW tires. Normal stuff guys.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are they the original tires? Check your tread on the front and see how it is wearing. I had the same feeling in my car, especially on the highway. I had michelin pilots that were feathering or cupping on the inside of the tread. I purchased new front tires and it made a huge difference. I then had an alignment and did not notice any more improvement, but I didnt want tires to wear that way again.

Vipera

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to Viperworld! You heard the saying this dog will hunt? Well Vipers hunt as well, not unusual for your snake to dart back and forth depending on the pavement below you. You'll get used to it...

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't the technical term tram-lining or something? or track-lining? can't remember...I know there's a real word for it though. :p

OP
OP
D

DviperX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I called a viper tech and he said the same thing about the wide tires and smaller tread tracks. Now if it does it on a perfectly "new" smoothe road then I should have it checked out. Living in Louisiana all of our roads are bad :)

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine darted bad with 80% worn tires. Once the new tires were on, darting was gone. It seems to have a tendency to increase with 50% or more worn tires.
If the road has narrow grooves, caused by other cars, it will dart no matter what.