$$'s for Viper studio rental.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$$\'s for Viper studio rental.

I have been providing my Viper for studio use. Once for a commercial, and once for a CSI show. They have been paying me, but I do not know what the going rate is for studio use of a Viper. They want my specific color and model. I am going through a broker.

Does anyone know what is a reasonable and customary fee to charge for the services. They pick up my car at my home, flat bed it to the shoot, and bring it back next day. The car has come back cleaner than when I sent it out. Only hand washed.

Anyone that has experience in these matters, please let me know if there are any issues that I should be careful of when providing my car.

"The car is the star". :2tu:

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: $$\'s for Viper studio rental.

I would not like to tell right now what I am receiving, just as a professional courtesy.

We are basically splitting the fee on a % basis, but I have no way of knowing what is reasonable in an industry I am not familiar with. I am happy with the deal, but don't know if I should be getting more.

Hopfully someone with knowledge if the industry will send me a personal message to enlighten me.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I rememeber there was a site that specialized in locating vehicles for shoots but I can not rememeber the name. Apparantly it was a big business.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Paul, what contractual protections do you have if they wreck it?

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A few years ago my vipers were on a list of "available cars" for TV, movies etc in Vancouver. As I recall they were paying about $1,000/day and that would be for about a 10 hour day. The car would not leave the set and they had a team of drivers who were the only ones allowed in the car - no racing, spinning tires etc. unless they wanted to buy new tires!
I also had a 75' sail boat that they used in the movies. They would pay $3,000/day and never left the dock! Was a sweet deal!
My only advice is to make sure that the cat does not leave the set - you don't want the producer taking it for lunch!

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i would also want to know if your insurance company would still cover the car if something happened to it or someone else got hurt by it some how. since you are getting paid, does that mean the vehicle is now commercial use instead of just personal? would your insurance cover it, or do they provide some kind of coverage in their contractual agreement? as for pay. i would think atleast just as much as it would cost to rent one by the day. even if they dont put any mileage on it. around south florida you can rent a viper for anywhere between $500-$750 per day. plus a hefty deposit and insurance.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In my case the movie company covered the boat/car with their insurance and provided documentation to verify. This covered any problems that might come up.

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks everyone.

Your rates are right in line with what I was offered, so I feel very comfortable now.

The money is kinda nice, but the real bonus is to see your car on TV...PRICELESS!

They have promised me a DVD of the episode.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was wondering, is that your car in the magazine radar detector commercial? Siver SRT. I think it says "Is your car Beltronics material?"
As to your question I think the only thing I would worry about is insurance. And I would not waste my time arguing that the other side has to cover it, I think they would find a way to get out of if they wanted. I would tell my insurer what is going on and ask am I covered. As to what it is worth to do this I would not worry about the last penny. I would be negotiating for the rights to be there in person when Jennifer or Pamela or Angelina sit in your car! Or if you really, really want to know about the going rental price cold call one of the ususal companies that rent cars to the movies and see what they would give you to handle your car if they were your agent. Take that price and at least triple it if you are doing it on your own. You probably will still be low. Top end is maybe 10% they would be paying you as your cut. I think the prices mentioned above sound fair though. We're going to want to see that DVD at VOI!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was wondering, is that your car in the magazine radar detector commercial? Siver SRT. I think it says "Is your car Beltronics material?"
As to your question I think the only thing I would worry about is insurance. And I would not waste my time arguing that the other side has to cover it, I think they would find a way to get out of if they wanted. I would tell my insurer what is going on and ask am I covered. As to what it is worth to do this I would not worry about the last penny. I would be negotiating for the rights to be there in person when Jennifer or Pamela or Angelina sit in your car! Or if you really, really want to know about the going rental price cold call one of the ususal companies that rent cars to the movies and see what they would give you to handle your car if they were your agent. Take that price and at least triple it if you are doing it on your own. You probably will still be low. Top end is maybe 10% they would be paying you as your cut. I think the prices mentioned above sound fair though. We're going to want to see that DVD at VOI!

I doubt the 10% figure, that would mean they would be charging the filmers $10k a day?!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth