!@#$# Just locked my Keys in the car, no Spare.. Question

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lot I park in when I go to class puts the car in a handy cap spot, but I leave the keys on the floor just incase a Chicago cop decides to cop ticket it, they can move it. Well this morning, for some reason I threw the keys on the floor and closed the door, but the doors we're locked. I have no spare set. Is there any specific thing I can do, I called the dealer, he said they cant do anything. If I call someone who can get in, is there something specific they should know, basically anything you guys can tell me Thanks in advance

P.S Worst morning ever

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know of any great solution. The dealer should be able to make a new key for you (they can look up the key code). You probably need proof of ownership to get it though (or so I should hope).

Didn't your car come with 2 keys and fobs? The fob should get you in as well.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Your dealer CAN help.

They need the VIN number, and they can build a new key (no fob needed)

Use the "secret" key opening in the driver door panel to open the door... grab 'yer key....

and don't ever do that again!

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling dealer now. Good thing is my first class ends up being cancelled! Something finally goes right. [******]!!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am looking over the schematics now... it appears in Gen-3, they did not leave any provisions for opening the doors by any other means than the Key, or the BCM via the Fob. All wiring is contained within the dash, with no accessible points.

Good and bad I guess...haha

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph Houss thanks man. You had me outside the car looking around the door like " What the hell is he talking about" Than finally I crouch and see this "secret" key hole. Delightful! Dealer made me a key, my friend has class tonight downtown where im at so im just killin time until he gets down here. Thanks again fellas for the super quick replies. Cheers

Naz.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a reminder. When using the "secret" keyhole it helps to push in on the door while turning the key. Makes it much easier to turn.

It may feel like you key will break off, but it takes quite a hard turn to unlatch the door.

A big thank you to Dodge for including the "secret" keyhole. It has saved quite a few of us.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph Houss thanks man. You had me outside the car looking around the door like " What the hell is he talking about" Than finally I crouch and see this "secret" key hole. Delightful! Dealer made me a key, my friend has class tonight downtown where im at so im just killin time until he gets down here. Thanks again fellas for the super quick replies. Cheers

Naz.
While your killin time you should read the manual that came with the car ;)

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
While your killin time you should read the manual that came with the car ;)

[/QUOTE]

I understand where your coming from, but being a college student, I do enough reading. The last thing on my mind when I picked up my Viper was, " Let me drive her home and read the manual" but I think I eventually should. Maybe if they make a GEN 4, ill read that manual.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While your killin time you should read the manual that came with the car
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand where your coming from, but being a college student, I do enough reading. The last thing on my mind when I picked up my Viper was, " Let me drive her home and read the manual" but I think I eventually should. Maybe if they make a GEN 4, ill read that manual.

It'a amazing how many people never read their owners manual. I always tell them, they will find at least 3 things they didn't know about their car if they do.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, Paul hawker told the best advice.
I knew about the key hole but the day that i needed to use it I screwed with that key hole for 20 minutes almost breaking the key off and then finally i was leaning against the door with my shoulder getting pissed and i turned the key with alot of pressure on my shoulder and the door popped right open. So now I know to push on the door when using the key.....

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can actually open the car from under the hood. If I remember correctly you probe the green& white wire onthe control terminal block and touch it to the plus side of the battery and the doors will pop open. Check this with a previous thread for the exact details but it can be done from under the hood for sure.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note to self - set alarm any time I park near Steve Loudin :)

P.S. I recall the thread as well. I think we were concerned about that hitting the internet and the method was passed in personal note form. I remember saving it but just cannot remember where. Damn age.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave