Stock wheel & tire. Tire slipping on rim !

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first car I have experienced tire slip while on the street. My GTS w/stock tire & wheel will spin the tire on the rim when I dump the clutch from a stand still or hit a hard 1-2. Strange, the tires are not 'old' either. I remember there is a 'home' remedy that works very good. Is it lemon juice on the bead before mounting?

Guess that last sentence sounds strange....but I need to solve this. It is driving me nuts to have unbalanced wheels all the time. Any help would be much appreciated!

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got tired of being out of balance on a frequent basis....so I marked the tire to the valve stem. The mark moves a hell of a lot, ends sometimes 180 out. So it could actually be spinning, not just moving.

I am going to balance again this week and try some super glue before we bead it. Crazy, but I've heard it works.

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the slipping certainly is worse at lower tire pressures. Not sure if the more slipping at lower tire pressures is because the tire's traction improves with lower pressure...or they slip more because the 'tire bead' against the rim is 'less' due to the lower pressure. :eek:

Anyway, I have varied the tire pressure (cold) from a low of 24 to a high of 40. And hitting all psi number between like 26, 28, 32, 36. The tires 'spun' on the rim in all cases. Just crazy I tell ya. Even with the slipping, the GTS is a beast out of the hole. :D

But I really could use some help on this subject.....how to stop the spinning ! Any ideas to try other than super glue? :confused:

Thanks !

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'cept in this case, we're talking about the stock rims and tires...on the street. So drilling holes in the stockers is out. Thanks though...

.....still looking for an answer.

I am thinking the tires may actually be the problem, while they have been well maintained, and only have about 2500 miles on them. They have been mounted since 2/2002. Soooo maybe their age is handicapping their ability to 'hold' to the rim? But 4-year old tires just does not sound too old.

What really gets me, is that based on the responses....this is not a big problem for everyone. Which is hard to beleive since I have a plain 'ol vanilla 2002 GTS with a VECII and smooth tubes. Not like I am throwing down 600 HP to the tires.....yet :shocked: ....the TNT kit is anxiously awaiting a solution to this spinning problem.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 dodge ram had this problem, the guys that mounted the tires lubed the hell out of them to help make it easier to put on the wheels. When we figured out what the problem was they then broke the beads and cleaned up all of the soapy residue left. They also had a different kind of lubricant that they use for this problem it was more like a grease than the soapy stuff they normally use. I would look into this. Hope this helps. :2tu:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As ridiculous as this may sound, do you apply any tire dressing? Could it be possible that dressing has weaped into the bead area, and is acting as a lubricant? Or as C-Note described, sounds very likey. As wide and short sidewalled as these tires are, an installer may have done a no-no, like using WD-40.

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab..............now we're talking. I'll check on that today.

tony1 - valvstem moving? OK I'll fess up. I went to Texas A&M. So I did have to think about that one ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave