MOPAR Race Engine Controller

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just read in another post that about 1/2 of the MOPAR Race engine controllers were defective in not operating the air-conditioner ... is this true? are they fixed now? I thought earlier posts said this was the way these things had to be ... if it's 'fixed', I want one ...

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Mopar race ECU does not operate the AC system at all. They are not defective, they just don't have the AC function.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Mopar race ECU does not operate the AC system at all. They are not defective, they just don't have the AC function.

that's what I always thought ... but another thread said there was a corrected 'defect' ... so that it now operates the AC

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think it was a defect, they were just not designed to be used on the street,and race cars dont usually have a/c, although new lemans(closed body)will

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need to hear from GTS-R 001 on this ... (as per the other thread)

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that by Valaya Racing, the unit was the Mopar performance controller for SRT10, not the comp coupe controller of which there are 2 , one for world challenge and one for VRL.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow ... now it's even more confusing ... i'll need to research this (find part #s etc.)

mark1962

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone been using this controller on the street for a while? My dealer knows next to nothing about it and I'm leaning towards installing the Race Exhaust and Race Controller (dealer refuses to install any non-Mopar parts) but am curious:

1. Does the controller prevent the check engine light from coming on (assume it does)
2. What happens with the O2 sensor?
3. Is the adjustment to the air/fuel mixture accurate if not using the cam that is part of the Mopar "Power Kit"?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call JonB at PartsRack he sell and has lots of info on these. Another option is to buy a new pcm or have yours sent to someone like westcoast vipers to have them reflash the pcm to change whatever parameters you choose, you will need to supply them with a baseline dyno including air/fuel mixture. by doing this the car will retain all stock functions you choose. you can change redline, remove skip shift and change or modify lots of parameters

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing the Mopar race exhaust and race engine controller today. I will let you know later what happens. I'm curious now.

Bob K

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
send your pcm to cragin along with a list of your mods

but what happens if the dealer ever needs to check a code or something? does everything get screwed up?

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob K, did you get a chance to find out? I too have Mopar race controller & exhaust ordered however I might reconsider this set up if A/C becomes an issue.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Mopar race exhaust installed (still needs some adjustment) but the REC has not arrived yet. I'm also waiting on the K&N intake system. Hopefully these will be here by tomorrow. The exhaust is loud but to my ear does not sound as good as my '96 (headers, catless and borla). We'll see after everything is installed. I will report back.

Bob K

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Comp Coupe WC controler requires 100 octane unleaded. Others will work with 93/91 octane.

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless there was a factory update for you pcm , the dealer would have no reason to re-flash your vehicle . If there was an update , you would probably want it , in which case you could send the pcm back and we (or who ever flashed your pcm) would re-apply your original mod's .

- Chris

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AC is not the big issue THE FAN WILL NOT EVEN WORK, ie no cool air period , no hot air, no clearing the windshield in the rain ( for you guys that drive your viper in the rain. Best thing is to have a place like DC reflash your PCM, won't screw up your mileage in your car computer either which could jeopardize your warranty.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I'll just wait for someone (like JET) to come out with a more simple plug-in, piggy-back unit ... I don't want a tune that's too aggressive anyway ... it doesn't have to be, because the stock tune is so weak that there's so much to gain with just some basic fuel & timing tweeks

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What does DC use to reflash the PCM? Can he adjust the fuel trims and the timing? The VEC2 can only adjust the fuel. What other options are there for controlling the timing and the fuel trims other then an AEM?

HPTUNERS apprently are working on a package for the Viper, similar to their LSX software. This is what they told me at the SEMA show.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: I got the race exhaust adjusted (real pain in the a$$ because of where the hanging brackets where welded on), Race Controller installed and K&N intake system on. The check engine light went off (was on with just the exhaust), no other lights came on and the heater/defrost fan works. I didn't run the AC. I will try to run the car a bit heavy this evening before the dyno tomorrow. The weather has been sucking off & on today and I had a bunch of errands to do so not much time. I will follow up after the dyno tomorrow.

Bob K

Bob K

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from my understanding is that with the race engine controller and exhaust you are not getting maximum benefit unless you have also done a cam swap. i'm very curious as to you dyno result. did you do a baseline run before any mods?

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What does DC use to reflash the PCM? Can he adjust the fuel trims and the timing? The VEC2 can only adjust the fuel. What other options are there for controlling the timing and the fuel trims other then an AEM?

HPTUNERS apprently are working on a package for the Viper, similar to their LSX software. This is what they told me at the SEMA show.

I thought the VEC2 was able to advance the timing also ...

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob K

I just purchase a 2005 with the Mopar Race exhaust, Mopar controller and K&N Filters. The ac is working.

Carleton

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SylvanSRT: Yes, I did a baseline last weekend with the Ferrari Club. Car had only 650 miles and had not been run at WOT before the dyno. Results - 434.3 rwhp and 465.1 rwtq. This was lower than I had expected.

Carleton: Good news. How do you like the sound? have you put it on the dyno?

Bob K

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob K

I just purchase a 2005 with the Mopar Race exhaust, Mopar controller and K&N Filters. The ac is working.

Carleton

... you bought the car new, and had the dealer 'upgrade' the pcm, before you took delivery? are you sure you now have a different 'race' pcm in the car?

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob

I Like the sound alot. I was at Dan Craggins today for an oil change but did not have time for a dyno. Maybe next time.

V-man

I did not buy the car new. It only had 800 miles on it and the orignal owner did the mods.

Carleton

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought the VEC2 was able to advance the timing also ...

We have our own set up to reflash the pcm . Yes we can adjust the fuel trims and timing .

The AEM is a stand alone pcm . Other options include Perfect Power (can only remove timing) , Dastek Unichip (unreliable for srt's) , and split second (can only remove timing) , VEC2 (timing and fuel - best piggy back out there for the viper) , APEXi safc , etc . I don't recommend any piggyback fuel control on the 04 and up SRT vehicles due to the fueling strategies these cars have . If you are going for timing control , something like the VEC2 should work well .

- Chris @ DC Performance

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob K

Carleton

There is some confusion about the a/c function with the mopar race controller . Your a/c will work with this controller . The problem with the race controller is that it does not talk to the a/c control module . The race controller (engine control module) is what controls the radiator fan . Normally , when you turn on the a/c , the a/c module shares that info with the engine control module , and commands the radiator fan to increase it's speed to pull air through the a/c condenser . Being that the race controller does not have that function , you don't get an increase in air flow from the radiator fan when the a/c is on . If it's cold outside or the car is moving fast enough , there will be enough air flow to keep the condenser cool . If your sitting there idling or in stop and go , the condenser will build up too much heat and the a/c will not cool well or at all . I have seen cars build up enough heat to pop the safety valve on the a/c compressor .

- Chris

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is some confusion about the a/c function with the mopar race controller . Your a/c will work with this controller . The problem with the race controller is that it does not talk to the a/c control module . The race controller (engine control module) is what controls the radiator fan . Normally , when you turn on the a/c , the a/c module shares that info with the engine control module , and commands the radiator fan to increase it's speed to pull air through the a/c condenser . Being that the race controller does not have that function , you don't get an increase in air flow from the radiator fan when the a/c is on . If it's cold outside or the car is moving fast enough , there will be enough air flow to keep the condenser cool . If your sitting there idling or in stop and go , the condenser will build up too much heat and the a/c will not cool well or at all . I have seen cars build up enough heat to pop the safety valve on the a/c compressor .

- Chris

Sounds like the Race PCM might be ok for Vipers up north, but a risky idea for those of us in places like AZ, TX or FL ...
... wish there was another way to switch the fans on earlier ... then the Race PCM might be ok ... my C5 vette used to be able to do this ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave