Tips/Tricks to Change Spark Plugs

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Figured that since many Vipers are coming out of hibernation that I would start a post on tips/tricks for changing spark plugs as I just did mine yesterday. Would really like to hear of any tips to get at #9.

My first tip that makes changing 6, 8, & 10 easy - remove the air box. It's only 4 nuts and makes a HUGE difference.

Second tip for #1 - I used a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer and a 1/4" extension which allows for better clearance to get by the cooling tube on my Gen 1.

Third Tip - Patience and one Cold Beer per spark plug!

Good Luck!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prior to removing the plugs, use compressed air to blow any grit away. The base area can hold a lot of debris which can fall into the cylinder after removing the plug. Also use anti-seize on plug thread and there is a product for applying an anti-seize around the tip so the boot will not stick to the ceramic. Check to verify gap as many plugs are off from the factory. If you accidently drop a plug, throw it away.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harbor freight (and others I guess) sells a 3/8" extention with a swivel plug socket built on the end......only $8/$10 and worth $100 when changing plugs.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
After taking off A/C airbox, I had no problems whatsoever getting all 10 plugs out on the '98 GTS. Some needed an extension, some had to be removed w/o the extension. No prob......

Now getting the new plug WIRES into their little clips and organized neatly was a little more tricky.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third Tip - Patience and one Cold Beer per spark plug!

Good Luck!

Whoa! I can change my spark plugs in about an hour, but I don't think I would do so well if I drank ten beers in one hour!!!! :eek:

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't even realize there was issues about spark plug changing on Vipers when I did mine. Particularly compared to some other sportscars I've had.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa! I can change my spark plugs in about an hour, but I don't think I would do so well if I drank ten beers in one hour!!!! :eek:

An hour! It only takes me 10 minutes. That's a beer a minute... I think I would spend more time chugging then wrenching.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone read my mind today! Damned if I wasn't going to ask this exact question! Rocket you are DA MAN! I'm picking up a 98 RT in a couple weeks with 10,000 miles on it, the question now is, is it to soon to change the plugs? One other question here as well, I hear/heard that if your going to be racing (I won't) that you use 9 quarts for an oil change, if not you use 7. Never heard of such a thing, what's the deal with leaving a pan 2 quarts low if your not going to be ******* it? Thanks!

P.S. I know to use Mobil 1 synthetic oil but what is the best plug?

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Rocket62. These types of posts are some of the most valuable. I would stick with OEM plugs as I have seen others here get wrong sizes. Would hate to do that with my engine. Others may disagree. Can anyone else chime in as to what plugs they use?

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
DanAuito - might want to double check this, and I believe that the capacity for the 98 was 8.5 qts. This may change +/- based on how much oil you let drain out of the oil cooler.

From my research many seem to think the stock champions work well unless you are adding Super/turbo/nitrous. Might be the one part you can buy without a Viper Tax.

Hardest part is #9 and getting the plug wire back on. I added a little bit of die-electric grease to the plug boots to help them slide on.

Good Luck.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use champions as well. i tried the bosch platinum II's and went back to champion. i think people go a bit overboard with what they put on these cars. if it's not broke don't fix it. i.e. unless you change something like put nitrous that calls for a different plug or a supercharger don't be so worried that your losing hp. people seem to go out and blow money for stuff they don't need. i use to be that way but buying more expensive bosch and finding that the champion work better taught me a lesson.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456