Dry clean only?

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody here clean their car without using the traditional bucket of soapy water? I have been using the car duster to remove the top layer of dust and then I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer and microfiber towels to clean.

This seems to keep the car looking really good, but I am wondering if I should use the hose and bucket ever.

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people say never to wash with soap and water bacause it gets in so many places, other say that if you dont use soap and water, its too abrasive to clean with spray and towel. ( I agree with the second )

Obviously if the car gets filthy, or sandy, your going to want to use water . If its a light coat of pollen or road dust, spray and wipe away.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need soap and water to do it properly. The only reason your car still looks good and you are getting away with this is because your car is silver, if it was black it would look horrible from all the swirling you are creating. JMHO.

OP
OP
S

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need soap and water to do it properly. The only reason your car still looks good and you are getting away with this is because your car is silver, if it was black it would look horrible from all the swirling you are creating. JMHO.

How do you figure? I have had my car under florescent lights and did not see any major swirl marks. I am using the duster to remove the little amount of dust off the surface and then microfiber towels and the Quik Detailer to clean. I do this just about every time I drive it so the amount of dust is very minimal.

Mark

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't get the road contaminants off your car, your duster will pick them up and become sticky over time. I think that would scratch your car eventually. Then again, you live in San Diego and it's 40 and raining here, so maybe I should ****.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh, wrong. I do the same method - dust and Maquire's quick detailer - on my black RT/10, and the results are actually better than soap and water. And, you can definitely tell the difference with a black car, but the dusting and quick detailer method make the black car fairly low maintenance.

I drive my car daily (except when it rains), year round (California), and the last time it was washed with soap and water was about 8 months and 10,000 miles ago. Granted, I do cover it while at work, but thats more to keep bird droppings and junk from getting into the car itself (with the top off). I do use soap and water when/if it gets really dirty, but that doesn't happen unless I drive in the rain, or catch a particularly heavy concentrations of bugs on the highway (which doesn't happen unless I go about 100 miles from here).

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody here clean their car without using the traditional bucket of soapy water? I have been using the car duster to remove the top layer of dust and then I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer and microfiber towels to clean.

I do the same without swirls.

I use the duster every 3rd day. ( Daliy Driver)

I quick detail after the dust. ( Spray fairly heavy.)

The trick is to let the leading edge of the mirofibers pick up the dirt. NOT the center of the towel.

I rarely wash. I do break out the hose to do the wheels once in a while.

If it rains and you get mud splash and other stuff on it, try this. http://www.superiorcarcare.net/pbsaw16.html

This is one step up from a QD.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You never use dish soap to wash a car, any car, it removes wax. I have owned my Viper for 4 years and have washed it a total of 2 times! Use the California Duster and lots of detail spray.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Dark blue and Black cars would love to get away with only two washes for four years. For the darker side here, it is just not possible to do that.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This seems to keep the car looking really good, but I am wondering if I should use the hose and bucket ever.

Mark, yep I agree with you 100%

I can't remember the last time I washed my Viper...it is swirl free....under flourescent lights or the sun.

Dave

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Dark blue and Black cars would love to get away with only two washes for four years. For the darker side here, it is just not possible to do that.

Have to disagree with you on your comment....I have a friend who has a Black 99 RT/10.... He never washes it...just a Cali. Duster, Z-6, Pinnacle and Micro fiber towels. Viper has a perfect finish.

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the california duster - is it true you're not ever supposed to remove/wash the rag on it?

OP
OP
S

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the california duster - is it true you're not ever supposed to remove/wash the rag on it?
Taken from the California Car Duster website:

Because of a special permanently baked in paraffin treatment, The Original California Dusters are made to provide years of effective service without the need for cleaning. Simply shake them out before and after each use. The "dirtier" they get the better they work

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2BADD 4U thanks for the opinion. I should clarify and say that "I" could never do that. As per your statement, others do and I would not challenge you on that. Maybe my opinion is "all wet" here, pun intended. You may have helped others out with countless hours of needless work.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You aren't reading this thread very closely. :cool: Note that some of us have already mentioned we use this method and have dark cars. In 9 years of driving a black RT/10, I've actually washed either Viper only after getting caught in the rain and/or a heavy bug concentration.

As a specific example, since getting my current RT/10 15,000 miles ago, I've washed it with soap and water a grand total of three times; two of which were one because of rain and mud, and the other due to catching a lot of bugs while driving from California to Texas for VOI8. This is a nice weather daily driver, which, other than the past two months, is normally at least 15 days of commute per month.

I use the Maguire's Spray Detail on my wheels (the 2000 wide five spoke stockers) with great results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave