guys buying 1998 gts viper thursday flying to Florida from NJ

bmw1952

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im buying a 1998 viper gts in coral spring fl thursday coming from New jersey. it is a private seller so im flying into ft myers and bringing the car to coral springs. im going to insure the car tomorrow with geico and driving the car to miami and cruising with it over the weekend till monday when the shipping company picks it up. the only issue i have is it needs to be registered and have plates and the guy said he would let me keep the plates on it and have it registered till i get back to jersey. just not sure if thats smart and does florida issue temporary registration and plates

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes, we have temp tags, but if you are not a resident, not sure if that will work.

I have done the loaner plate thing before and it worked out okay...

just make sure you have proof of purchase if you should have an encounter with the law.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hell half the fun of buying a new car is the drive back. My last car purchase had me on a flight out of chicago at 6:15 am landing in jersey at 8:00. Picked up car and left Jersey at 10:00am, made it back to Chicago at 9:00pm that night. It was a long drive. I ate lots of crap food and my ass and knee hurt for days, but well worth the trip. 11 hours in a Vipe is a joy.

V

venms96

BMW1952,

I guess you are saying that the car needs to be registered to "ship it" ? Sounds odd, I thought that the Insurance is the biggest deal. Anyway, the car is currently registered in Florida under the owner's name...you are fine there.
It has a Florida Reg on it, in his name, you are covered there. You just got Geico insurance, I guess you're fine there...:) So, sounds like you are good to go.
You just have to mail his License Plate back to him when you get back home. Simple as that. He can let you use his current Florida registration to drive to NJ really, if you did that. You have good insurance, he has good Registration, the car is cool. No worries.......have fun, lots of open road between the west coast and east coast of Florida !

venms96

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are right, drive it back! i bought mine in scottsdale, az and drove back to the l.a. area.. only 5-6 hrs.. but.. i'll never forget that 5-6 hrs. dr. b.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
flew to nebraska and drove it home here.

i also drove it to florida twice and loved the ride.

and i cant remember the first 6-7 hours of it. it was amazing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R