transmission oil mopar synthetic or Mobil -1 or others

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article in the viper mag states that Mopar synthetic 75-85 be used. This is a GL-4 rated oil. The Mobil-1 is a Gl-5 rated oil. I recently tried the Mobil-1 in the tranny. I found that the Mobil-1 oil shifted smoother and the shifter handle was cooler to the touch than with the Mopar synthetic.
However, I heard that the Gl-4 spec oil has an additive that prevents corrosion
and is better for the non ferrous metals in the tranny. Is the any truth to this? Is anybody else using Mobil-1 or any other brands with better results than the specified Mopar oil. :cool:

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some GL-5 oils contain extreme pressure additives composed of sulphur and phosphorus, these compounds are corrosive to brass synchros and thrust washers in the transmission.

This is true of dino lubes but maybe not with synthetics. I would consult Mobil to see if their gear lube contains these ingredients.

BTW, the Mopar synthetic is repackaged Castrol Syn-Torque.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too read that blerb in the viper magazine and was wondering about the mopar synthetic vs other lubes like Mobil 1. Is Tom anywhere about? He always gives us the good "poop". :2tu:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be changing and analyzing mine shortly. All Amsoil. There will be 38,500 miles on the tranny oil and 23,500 on the 3:45 rear end with several track events, quite a few autocrosses, and some drags included in the usage.

All past analysis of all the Amsoil products in my car have come back with excellent results. The last Blackstone report I got for my engine oil told me to extend the drain interval further than the 10,000 miles I sent in for testing.

Steve

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: transmission oil mopar synthetic or Mobil -1 or others

AMS also warrants their product. I wrote and their lawyer got back and confirmed that it even covers when used for Viper Days or similar HP driver's events. Not so if you have a chip or drivetrain enhancement, however, so use at your discretion there.

pescadito

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm using Amsoil in the tranny and diff too. I can really tell a difference. Shifting is a lot smoother.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mobil-1 synthetic here, but I think the bigger issue is the frequency of the fluid change. All those bolts hiding the drain plug don't help.

OP
OP
S

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anyone know if Mobil-1 is ok for sure in the tranny? Anyone had any experience using Mobil-1?
Where can you buy Amsoil MTG?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can buy AMS direct by the case for the price of about 4 qts of other syns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave