Dumb Question but Mom said there are No Dumb Questions

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.

But as for GTS, I have nothing to contribute. That's why I bought an RT. It was easier to remember... :)

JD

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In that case what's an RT stand for? I have a Gran Touring Sport, so I wouldn't have to worry about RT or SRT. ;)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Dunno about GTS, but on old Pontiac GTOs, it stood for Gas, Tires, and Oil.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It actually an Italian term GTO- Gran Turismo Omolagato(sp?)
loosely translated grand touring homolagation ie: made to homologate a race car buy building a certian number of cars to satisfy a sanctioning body(FIA, ALMS, USRRC, IMSA, ect...)so a car will qualify to run in a particular racing series.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It actually an Italian term GTO- Gran Turismo Omolagato(sp?)
loosely translated grand touring homolagation ie: made to homologate a race car buy building a certian number of cars to satisfy a sanctioning body(FIA, ALMS, USRRC, IMSA, ect...)so a car will qualify to run in a particular racing series.

Yep, knew that, but I thought "Gas Tires and Oil" was funnier. :)

One funny thing about Enzo Ferrari, he would try and trick the sanctioning body into believing his race engines were somehow related to production sedan engines, in order to get the GTO designation.

Of course, a 60s Pontiac wearing the GTO badge doesn't mean a thing, its just marketing b.s. I know you knew that!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno about GTS, but on old Pontiac GTOs, it stood for Gas, Tires, and Oil.

HaHa... Only you Vic :nana:

GTO' and 'GT' are European racing classifications. The Italian term, 'Gran Turismo Omologato', means Grand Touring class production vehicle, homologated for racing. The name came to mean a large, high-performance sports car comfortable enough for long trips or 'touring', as opposed to the smaller, less comfortable 2-seater 'true' sports cars.

Ripped that right off GTO Heaven a web site. Although your definition is probably easier to remember.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets