Viper as Daily Driver?

K

Kaya

I am waiting on my new 2006 coupe....I use my Z06 as my daily driver and I will be trading that for the Viper....any thoughts on the new car as a daily driver?

My Coupe should be here for my birthday and excited doesn't even begin to describe it!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people say it is not a daily driver... My plans were to just use the snake on the weekends but since purchase - feb - it has been my daily driver ... and my 6 year old and 4 year old fight over whose turn it is to go for a drive on the weekends.. Removing the crossover pipes helps with the heat and the mgw shifter helps to transform the snake to a daily driver... O i also put on the clear bra ... even behind the front and rear wheels...O and if u like to keep it clean then change the pads (also upgrade rotors if u want a partially drilled look)... that post was longer than i originally intended

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people say it is not a daily driver... My plans were to just use the snake on the weekends but since purchase - feb - it has been my daily driver ... and my 6 year old and 4 year old fight over whose turn it is to go for a drive on the weekends.. Removing the crossover pipes helps with the heat and the mgw shifter helps to transform the snake to a daily driver... O i also put on the clear bra ... even behind the front and rear wheels...O and if u like to keep it clean then change the pads (also upgrade rotors if u want a partially drilled look)... that post was longer than i originally intended
I agree mostly.My kids always fight over who gets to go in the Viper.I changed
my exhaust to Random tech cats and a Corsa Track system.Wow! What a difference in temperature.But now is loud!I still don't know that I could drive everyday.

Sleepersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my Viper since August 2005. I drive it every non-rainy day. Why buy such a nice machine just to look at it in the garage? It is like putting plastic on your furniture. Are you keeping it nice for someone else to enjoy in the future?

OP
OP
K

Kaya

You sound like me!!!! How is it to drive daily? I am not a picky person (I also drag race)...I don't care if its rough....and I am planning to drive mine rain or shine....

Are the seats reasonably comfortable? I know I need a new shifter and to change the intake and exhaust (from what people say). Otherwise is the car a pleasure to drive?

I love my Z06 and I am thinking the Viper will be similar.....we also have a 2000 Z28, a 72 Buick GS 455 and a 87 Buick GN so I am no stranger to torque monsters. I figure this car has a lot in common with the 12 sec Buick GN.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to drive my 2003 daily now I drive my 2005 daily, even in the rain.

I used to own a ZO6... it's not quite as easy to live with as that but well worth the little additional effort.

OP
OP
K

Kaya

I drive 7 miles each way mostly highway and a little dowtown driving in the medical district. I have a safe parking area. My current Z06 has 37k miles and I have driven it everyday for 4 1/2 years.

I am hoping the Viper is at least similar....I don't want to spend the money and not enjoy the car......

Hehehe...the Buicks are the garage queens around here....

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 2200 miles on my new Coupe in one month. Drove it in rain/ light snow flurries, bumper to bumper CA traffic as well as several track days. I think it could be a daily driver.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a car business and have access to hundreds of cars. I bought a Charger SRT8 for my daily but find myself hopping behind the wheel of the Viper everyday. It makes the drive to and from work much more enjoyable, even if it is raining. Last summer I had a 98 GTS and an 05 Ram SRT. I drove the GTS everyday and parked the Ram. With three youn kids I dont get to drive the viper much on the weekends so every Monday morning it comes back to life. I honestly could not imagine having such a fun car sitting in the garage and only using it occasionally.
The most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...have averaged 1550 miles per month, during the 6 month driving season, all 6 years we've had the car.

Steve

Robsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my ZO6 last year and drive my SRT every day. My commute is about 70 miles round trip.

As long as I leave early enough to miss the SF traffic -- this is a very comfortable car to drive everyday.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drive either the RT or the SRT (mostly the RT), 80k+ on the former 3k+ on the latter.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is definitely possible with a GEN III. Do not get me wrong, one can do it with the GEN I or II but it is not the same. I did it for the first six months of ownership and loved it but the only problem I had besides where to park it, was the clutch got annoying in traffic and the hardtop leaked A LITTLE BIT but in the GEN III the clutch is A LOT easier and you have a coupe. Only thing you have to worry about is the attention and where you are going to park it. Good luck with your choice.

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have to drive to work (I work out of my home) but take the Viper out daily. If I'm stressed out or upset with someone at the corporate office I jump in the Viper and go for a nice long ride - then return with a big smile (and on a few occasions to change my underwear). I do, however, try to avoid driving in the rain with the run-flats.

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use to have a Corvette EB 03 Z06 as a daily driver. Since the weather in California has been wet and slippery the last few months, I have not been driving the Viper, but another car.

However, when the weather gets better I am planning to use the Viper as a daily driver. The few days the weather has been good, I've driven it to and from work a few days a week. I agree with everybody on this thread, for such a beautiful car, it's a shame to just keep it in the garage.

I do have my own parking space where nobody will park next to me and covered. My commute is less than 20-15 minutes with no traffic on the highway. At first, I was a little apprehensive about using it as a daily driver, but the more I drive it, the more I enjoy the experience of owning a Viper.

I believe everyone here will agree!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a better daily driver than the Gen1/2 that's for sure. My Gen2 is a halftime driver, and it can be tedious in bumper-to-bumper traffic or rough roads. Having it lowered doesn't help. :eek:

...but once you get it out in the open, it's wonderful. There's nothing else like it. :2tu:

1 cole

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars are built to drive.Living in Wi.I have driven in all kinds of weather,the car handles just fine.For me life is to short not to drive it.If you can drive your car daily, more power to you. ENJOY IT!!!!

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm retired and we have a Pacifica also so I'm able to drive mine every day if I want. I avoid rain and in the winter drive it as long as the weather is good and roads are clear which in Central Illinois has been pretty often. If it's sunny, winds below 15 mph, temp above 40* in the afternoon I'll put the top down, turn the heater on and take her for a ride. I'll put about 5K miles on her in a year.
CB

OP
OP
K

Kaya

Awesome...that's what I was hoping to hear!!!!! I have a place to park without worry!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a Gen 2 GTS or Gen 3 could both be daily drivers as long as you're extremely careful in bad weather. Gen 1 & 2 RT/10s have too many issues with leaky tops to be practical in bad weather

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would drive it everyday and everywhere if people would just stay away from it. They just love to hang all over my VIPER. Actually you gotta love it! We have a really great car. In New Jersey you hardly see one on the road but every 2 0r 3 months..... go figure ??????? I go out every day I can for at least an hour or so. No rain tho, don't want to get the beast wet ever !!!!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my new FE Coupe in the rain. It handles just fine...just keep your foot out of the gas and drive smart. It handles way better in the rain than my friends new Z06- that car is scary in the rain even with the traction control. Hydroplanes going down the freeway- the Viper never does. And believe me, its been raining like crazy the past few months here in Northern CA.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Rules of Daily Driving (rules generated from 38,000 miles of GTS driving):

1. In stop and go traffic expect very poor gas mileage. ( You can almost see the gauge move.LOL)

2. In stop and go traffic, it will run a little hot. Don't worry. This is normal.

3. Get used to people taking pictures of you on the highway, in parking lots, etc. On the highway it can get a little dangerous when they speed up to come along side you to snap the picture.

4. Get used to ignorant,young people speeding up behind you and, in general, acting like fools, to either get a look at the car or try to get you to race them or show them what the car can do. Smile, wave and ignore them.

5. Do not park next to any other cars in parking lots. Vipers do not get dings. Vipers get chipped.

6. Be very careful when parallel parking to avoid curb bruising your wheels - particularly if they are OEM wheels.

7. Be very careful if it is straight in parking to avoid scratching the underside of your front fascia on the curb. There are protective applications available but they are not fool proof. Also be careful of silent policemen aka speed bumps.

8. Do not preoccupy yourself with activities that you might engage in in another vehicle, e.g., dialing your cell phone while driving, fiddling with the radio, etc. Keep your eyes on the road. The Viper is a race car first and demands your attention. Many have been snake bitten who have not paid attention to this rule.

9. Learn how to answer the same questions over and over again graciously. Among them will be: "How fast will it go?" "How much did it cost?" "How many horsepower does it have?" I ususlly smile and state "Fifth Amendment"; "I do not disclose price data"; the actual HP.

I am sure others can add to the above list. You will become addicted to the car like many of us. After the addiction sets in, you may need a number of excuses to say to your significant other to leave the house for a brief Viper ride. Among those excuses are: " I forgot something at the office"; "I need gas for tommorrow"; " I want to go to the book store to look at the magazines"; "I heard a funny sound today and I want to test the car to make sure everything is OK", etc. You will only need these for a short period of time. Your significant other will come to accept the fact that your Viper is an automotive " mistess" and come to terms with the relationship and laugh about it. If you are lucky, like I am, your significant other will like the car from the getgo and immediately understand.

Good luck and drive safely!

OP
OP
K

Kaya

Hehehehe...this sounds exactly like a true Z06 owner. I have driven my Z06 every day for 4 1/2 years. I get all the same things...that was a hysterical list.....but true even for the Z06.....

I am the queen of the buggy collectors at the grocery store and soon to be the Empress

:p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave