Hurst Short Shifter + MGW Gripper Shift Knob - Help?

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Gents!

I just recieved a bunch of goodies today. One being a new MGW "gripper knob w/3d logo". I then recieved a new "hurst billet/plus shifter". Here is my question. Did I order the right combination? Granted I haven't taken the center piece out to see how far down the tranny sites, but when the gripper is screwed to the hurst the overall length looks like it's gonna be too high. I wanted an overall shorter through & lower profile over that 2' long OEM shifter.

Thanks in advance for your respons,

Dag

viper1532

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Install your Hurst shifter and use a 1/2-20UNF threaded ball only. The Hurst
shifter height is perfect. I just did the install on my SRT. Good luck.
Larry T.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did the same thing. I went tried several knobs and the MGW shifter ball works best.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer your question the MGW Gripper knob will fit the Hurst shifter perfectly. You may need to clean up the threads on both with a tap and die which is 1/2-20 sae thread. The height is perfect according to Rich, "Yelloh", who I installed this combination for in his car a few weeks ago. most people find the stock know to be quite low and hard to shift. If you find it a little to high you can go to another shifter like the ones on my web site below.

Robbie

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George Makes three different lengths - one stock length, one short, and one that is simply the ball with no extension. I recommend you call him. He was a big help. Also note that Hurst did produce two different size threads so make sure you know which one you have. I happen to have the one that is the stock thread size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss