Will there be any problems registering it in Cali?

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will there be any problems registering it in Cali. I was told that a used car has to have at least 7500 miles in order to register it. :confused:

Ive never heard of such a thing?

OP
OP
H

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look what I found............What do I do now?
What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Exceptions

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah...it *****. This is a fairly new law. Try calling the DMV and find out. Maybe you can register it as a "new" car? Sorry, wish I could help. This law prevented me from picking up some potential out of state candidates. :(

OP
OP
H

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah...it *****. This is a fairly new law. Try calling the DMV and find out. Maybe you can register it as a "new" car? Sorry, wish I could help. This law prevented me from picking up some potential out of state candidates. :(

If i could register it as a new car I would have to pay $3000.00 gas gusler :evilmad:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would prob be more trouble than its worth, and you'd REALLY have to trust someone, but you could find someone (a friend or VCA member), give them the money, and let them buy the car, drive it til it has 7500 miles on it and then get it from them and have the title switched over to your name. That way, you will be able to get around the part of the law that says "If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law." b/c it will look like you bought a car with 7,501 miles on it and the title will not already be in your name thus tipping them off that you tried to circumvent the law.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456