Performance from Supercharger?

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many dealers seem to offer an installed supercharger on an otherwise stock Viper for approximately $10,000 to increase horsepower to 700. Does anyone know the estimated performace times, or have you experienced them in your SRT-10?

0-60
0-100
1/4 mile
top speed?

thanks,

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although actual performance depends on a great many things, Motor Trend tested the Venom 650R package (with 700HP) and got this level of acceleration...

Power Output:
695 bhp @ 5,700 rpm (605 rear wheel hp thru catalysts)
695 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm (605 rear wheel torque)

Acceleration (tested by MOTOR TREND on stock tires):
0 - 60 mph: 2.99 sec.
1/4 mile: 10.76 @ 134 mph

Acceleration (tested by MOTOR TREND on street-legal slicks):
0 - 60 mph: 2.67 sec.
1/4 mile: 10.44 @ 133.5 mph

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0312_2003_viper_srt10_venom_650r/index.html

Your mileage may vary, but getting anywhere near this level of performance for around $10K is pretty impressive! :laugh:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I may sound crazy, but I would be more interested in the Paxton if I could get LESS HP by using less PSI ... for example, if the lowest current PSI setting creates 600+ RWHP, what PSI/pulley would produce 'only' 550 RWPHP (vs. 440 RWHP stock)? and would the stock engine/drivetrain be more durable if it were set up with such a lower PSI ???

(I'm currently running a Mopar underdrive crank pulley --don't know if this would have an impact)

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less pressure in the cylinder would certainly increase the life of the motor. All I know is I had a bone stock SRT Ram and now my SRT Ram with a Paxton. The Paxton woke up the truck. In fact, Woodhouse dynoed my '01 Viper with bolt on mods (2 years ago) on the same Mustang dyno that they recently did my supercharged Ram. The power to weight ratio is now identicle. So...instead of a 14-15 second SRT Ram 1/4 I should now have a 12-13 second SRT Ram. This is based on the Viper performance numbers at Bandimere 2 years ago (12.2xx 1/4 mile).

The tune is EVERYTHING when doing this kind of upgrade. Too lean and KABOOM.

I can only imagine how the Viper wakes up with the Paxton on it!!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure that you could probably get a different pulley to lower the boost, but I don't think that a couple PSI lower cylinder pressure is going to make much difference in the long run.

The Viper's engine is pretty understressed, even with cast pistons it should be able to handle the mild boost of the Paxton blower package just fine. As long as the tuning and A/F mixture is setup well.

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant give you any #'s because i just got it back from DLM and haven't timed it. but what i can tell you is that it hauls freakin butt at just 6-7 lbs of boost.

i'm not sure if its just the way doug tuned mine but you are really going faster than it feels stock.(i mean sometimes stock felt faster but when you look at the speedo you realize you just hit 130 and didnt blink yet) if that makes any sense. also if you leave the stock gears like i did you can easily put, put around and cant even tell what it can do.6-7 lbs is perfect. enough to really go when you need it but i can drive the car at 40 in 5'th and it just cruises smooth and the wife has no clue."honey whats that whislte sound, kinda like a vacum cleaner". " nothing much babe just a better filter on the air box to give it better gas miles, only cost a few bucks and saves a ton"

i definatley think tires play a big roll. runflats really are [******]. total [******] in my opinion. i went down to an 18 inch rim (ccw 505a) and toyo ra1. and its a night and day difference. car handles like a dream compared to stock and after you get the ra1's heated up. about 15 minutes of driving on a hot day. they just stick under almost full throttle in first with the s/c. second they grab the road wot and from there its on. s/c really kicks at about 5k and pulls so hard you almost dont want to shift because it feels like you dont have to. but again, you can still put around at 40 in 5th with the wifey and its very docile.until you want to unleash it.

a well installed and tuned paxton and sticky tires and not much will hold you back from shooting straight as an arrow at awesome speed. must have upgrades in my opinion. unless of course you really like cutting it close with a z06 with a good driver in it. i went heads up against a corvette c6(not a z06) with a magnacharger in it . he spun thru 1-3 and was all over the road. from a 40mph roll in 1st, i hooked and nailed it straight. by the time he caught up to me at the light i could have washed my car. smoked him by a good 15 cars. all he could mutter was. "dude i couldnt get any traction, what the F do you got under that hood" "how come you didnt spin the tires" (duh)

its not just about the power, if you cant stick it to the road.what good is it. i dont even have to feather the throttle when the toyo's are hot.

anyway, i asked the same question before i got mine. yeah it seems like a lot of dough, but i would do it again tomorrow and if i had the cash to spend, i would build the motor so it could handle more like my boy ricksrt10 with the Dlm stage 3 package.

also a key point.. you cant just take it to anyone and bolt on the paxton. oh you could, but trust me you want to find a tuner that knows how to properly s/c you srt. do some research and you will find someone you feel comfortable with. even if you have to ship the car to them because they aren't close. fortunate for me if mine breaks (which i highly doubt it will) i just drive it to DLM at his house or shop and i know he will take care of it.

so go with the s/c and a well known tuner and you will grin from ear to ear every time you dip in to that throttle when needed. oh and dont forget good sticky tires. you may have to down size to 18 inch but its more than worth it. plus the ccw's look killer. just dont forget to slam it, or you will look like a off road vehicle.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Traction is the key.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many dealers seem to offer an installed supercharger on an otherwise stock Viper for approximately $10,000 to increase horsepower to 700. Does anyone know the estimated performace times, or have you experienced them in your SRT-10?

0-60
0-100
1/4 mile
top speed?

thanks,

You may want to give DLM a call. He has his own hi/hp kits that he installs and for a little extra you could have a real deal paxton setup taylored to your needs (at least 800 crank hp)

vd..

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant give you any #'s because i just got it back from DLM and haven't timed it. but what i can tell you is that it hauls freakin butt at just 6-7 lbs of boost.

i'm not sure if its just the way doug tuned mine but you are really going faster than it feels stock.(i mean sometimes stock felt faster but when you look at the speedo you realize you just hit 130 and didnt blink yet) if that makes any sense. also if you leave the stock gears like i did you can easily put, put around and cant even tell what it can do.6-7 lbs is perfect. enough to really go when you need it but i can drive the car at 40 in 5'th and it just cruises smooth and the wife has no clue."honey whats that whislte sound, kinda like a vacum cleaner". " nothing much babe just a better filter on the air box to give it better gas miles, only cost a few bucks and saves a ton"

i definatley think tires play a big roll. runflats really are [******]. total [******] in my opinion. i went down to an 18 inch rim (ccw 505a) and toyo ra1. and its a night and day difference. car handles like a dream compared to stock and after you get the ra1's heated up. about 15 minutes of driving on a hot day. they just stick under almost full throttle in first with the s/c. second they grab the road wot and from there its on. s/c really kicks at about 5k and pulls so hard you almost dont want to shift because it feels like you dont have to. but again, you can still put around at 40 in 5th with the wifey and its very docile.until you want to unleash it.

a well installed and tuned paxton and sticky tires and not much will hold you back from shooting straight as an arrow at awesome speed. must have upgrades in my opinion. unless of course you really like cutting it close with a z06 with a good driver in it. i went heads up against a corvette c6(not a z06) with a magnacharger in it . he spun thru 1-3 and was all over the road. from a 40mph roll in 1st, i hooked and nailed it straight. by the time he caught up to me at the light i could have washed my car. smoked him by a good 15 cars. all he could mutter was. "dude i couldnt get any traction, what the F do you got under that hood" "how come you didnt spin the tires" (duh)

its not just about the power, if you cant stick it to the road.what good is it. i dont even have to feather the throttle when the toyo's are hot.

anyway, i asked the same question before i got mine. yeah it seems like a lot of dough, but i would do it again tomorrow and if i had the cash to spend, i would build the motor so it could handle more like my boy ricksrt10 with the Dlm stage 3 package.

also a key point.. you cant just take it to anyone and bolt on the paxton. oh you could, but trust me you want to find a tuner that knows how to properly s/c you srt. do some research and you will find someone you feel comfortable with. even if you have to ship the car to them because they aren't close. fortunate for me if mine breaks (which i highly doubt it will) i just drive it to DLM at his house or shop and i know he will take care of it.

so go with the s/c and a well known tuner and you will grin from ear to ear every time you dip in to that throttle when needed. oh and dont forget good sticky tires. you may have to down size to 18 inch but its more than worth it. plus the ccw's look killer. just dont forget to slam it, or you will look like a off road vehicle.
I've heard about your car :2tu: :2tu: A few people told me about how nice it is from the car show and Doug's shop. I have to agree it pays to spend the extra money with DLM. My car has been trouble free and I love it!!! Doug is a class act and one of the best guys I've ever dealt with. Get the SC and you'll love it. The performance for the money is WELL worth it.

-lou

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth