Screeching sound when accelerating?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...and I'm not talking about the tires either. :p I have a '97 GTS with 8100 miles on it. I know I have to get my brakes done (squeal when coming to a stop), but I wonder if they're also responsible for the similar sound when I step on it. I'm not talking about a full "pedal to the metal" acceleration, but a casual spirited one.

I hear a sound very similar to worn brake pads, but sometimes when I push the accelerator down even more, the sound goes away...weird. Is this the intake sucking air or wheel bearings, or just the sensor coming into contact with the rotors?

I only notice the sound when my windows are down...they're noticeable, but not loud or anything. Thanks for all your help. I can't stop driving this thing, even with the ridiculous gas prices here in L.A.! :nana: :nana:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could it be more of a light "screech" or "whistle" that happens ONLY under medium throttle? If you've put smooth tubes on the car, this is a common side-effect of the smooth tubes on a Gen II engine's intake; something in the changed air pattern causes the whistle. I have the same whistle under part throttle that I knew would happen when I put on the smooth tubes - I don't like it much either and would love a solution - not enough to remove the smooth tubes, though.

Otherwise, normally such squealing is a loose "fan" belt, but I've never heard of a serpentine belt as the Viper has doing this (especially with the automatic tensioner that it has). If the belt or a pulley, then it should also do it in neutral just be revving the engine.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'd guess clutch, but more throttle would probably make it louder? Unless there is some kind of resonance band between torque and friction that only makes it squeal under part throttle.

Ok, I'm scratching in the dirt..... :confused:

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could it be more of a light "screech" or "whistle" that happens ONLY under medium throttle? If you've put smooth tubes on the car, this is a common side-effect of the smooth tubes on a Gen II engine's intake; something in the changed air pattern causes the whistle. I have the same whistle under part throttle that I knew would happen when I put on the smooth tubes - I don't like it much either and would love a solution - not enough to remove the smooth tubes, though.

Otherwise, normally such squealing is a loose "fan" belt, but I've never heard of a serpentine belt as the Viper has doing this (especially with the automatic tensioner that it has). If the belt or a pulley, then it should also do it in neutral just be revving the engine.

The intake seems to make sense. THeyre not smooth tubes however (stock). I guess "whistling" is a better way of describing it. Its not too loud and only somewhat audible with mid-throttle and with the windows down.

However, I don't really hear it if I'm in neutral and just revving the motor.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like K&Ns to me.

That's possible. I'm gonna have to take a look. Dealership said stock, but I wouldn't be surprised if a K&N drop-in passed the inspection. Time to investigate.

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 96, sounds like a loose chain being dragged around, not loud but, defiantely noticeable. I hope someone can chime in on this one. Where Chuck.