Hi guys, newbie here wanting a Viper, I think.......

BarryBum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here, just found this the other day. I have always admired Vipers from afar, but now I think I am ready to get a little closer. But to do this I would have to sell my Plymouth Cuda. To a prospective Viper owner, what would you tell him to look for both good and bad. The earlier RT/10's are the ones in my price range of 30k-35k.
Either talk me out of selling my Cuda and buying a Viper or talk me into it..........
Here is a pic of my Cuda (not for sale, YET, but possibly soon)
You must be registered for see images

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personaly, I'd keep that Cuda, if I were you. IF you were in a situation where you had to choose which one to buy, I'd pick a Viper...but the fact that you already own an amazing treasure, I'd keep it. My 2cents

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it meant getting rid of that Cuda to get the Viper, I'd definitely pass. You don't get rid of a car like that unless it is an absolute necessity.

Mike M

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
d-a-m-n, that is PERTY. tell us more about it. eng size, goodies, interior color, etc. and we need more pics.

i too would try to keep it, and do more saving for the viper if that is what you really want. if you do sell it, i am sure you will be kicking yourself later.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to add to the party pooping....but I'd keep the Cuda. Again, I LOVE my Viper and would recommend one to anyone, but it's more difficult to find a classic like that than to find a nice viper.

That said...if you need a daily driver and can't afford to keep the Cuda and another car then I would recommend the Viper. I use mine as a daily driver and absolutely love it!

Another quick note. It will be very difficult to find a good used Viper between 30-35K unless there are problems with it. Most Gen I/II will go for at least 40-45K in excellent condition.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the Cuda for a little longer... they seem to still be rising, sell it at it's peak, then by a Viper while banking the rest to buy another Cuda when prices fall back to where they really should be :) If you look at nearly all the rise in fall of car prices, they peak when the "kids that wanted one" hit their peak earning years, and fall off after that (just my humble opinion).

Vipers do seem to be approaching a solid bottom and good cars are beginning to rise in price.... largely due to the muscle car mania that has driven much lesser older cars up in price above the price of a good Viper!

Um, I can buy an older restored muscle car, be scared to drive it for fear of it depreceating, or pay less for a Viper... Viper!

I have an older muscle car and want a Viper.... sell at the peak!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
71 340 cuda is a keeper. NO way would I give up that Cuda. I can tell you that the viper feels really good and does so many things better than my roadrunner, but still cannot replace the classic.

Also, if the challenger does get relaunched, the price of E-bodies will probably go up even further.

I would be patient and wait until you can have both.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep that car! You'll regret it later. Take everyones word for it. We've all been there and are now being reminded of our earlier mistakes in letting our treasures move on. You still have a chance. Don't do it!

OP
OP
B

BarryBum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow guys, not the responses I was thinking I would get but I really do appreciate your compliments. I am getting a lot of resistance from my wife as well about the possibilities of parting with the Cuda.
The Cuda is a 72 model, Cuda 340, Pistol Grip 4 Speed, it has been completely gone through with new almost everything. It is 1 of 1701 340/4 Speed Cudas built in 1972. Here are a few more pics, hope you like em.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That cuda looks awesome! :2tu:

How long have you had the Cuda? If you've had it for a long time, then I might side with keeping it. If it's only been around for a while then, move to a Viper and you'll be very happy!

Good luck! Either way, you are in GOOD shape! :headbang:

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, that does it. The last few pictures did it for me. There is no way you can sell that thing!! Keep it fer godsakes!! That car is immaculate!!!

OP
OP
B

BarryBum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
according to NADA collector car guides (if you consider that 100% accurate) rates it at this
Low- $19,750
Average- $33,250
High- $61,375

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I love those old classics they don't come close to the fun of a Viper. Just my opinion.

BTW that is one of the prettiest Cudas I've ever seen.

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KEEP THE CUDA...!!
Who cares about it's value now or in the future, it's a classic, and I bet it turns just as many heads as a Viper! Save up and have both, just be patient!

OP
OP
B

BarryBum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a shot of the engine that I forgot to include in the earlier post with the other pics.
By the way, you guys have convinced me into keeping the Cuda......but I still am in awe of the Vipers......maybe someday :2tu:

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll pay the average so the first bid has officially been beat. I'll also offer you the right of first refusal if I ever sold it. How can anyone say no to this! Heh Heh Heh

KEEP IT!

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BarryBum:

My advice.. do whatever makes you happy. You only go around this dirtball once. If a Viper would make you happy do it!

I can tell you as someone who has had alot of muscle cars that while they are very cool and fun, the overall performance and expierence of owning a Viper is much better.

OP
OP
B

BarryBum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input guys. I guess I'll just keep the Cuda, a Viper is not a very good car when you have kids that love to ride anyways.....they would always be fighting over who gets shotgun and trust me, if I had a Viper there would be constant blood drawn between the kids to see who gets to ride..... BUT, WIFE BE WARNED, I have one getting his license in 5 months and one that is 10. Just as soon as the 10 year old gets his license and he will be able to drive on his on and it will just be me and her, I WILL be gettting a Viper and adding on to the shop so I will have room to park my 97 GTS blue w/white striped Viper BESIDE(notice I said beside) my B5 Cuda!!!!!
So I guess I better start saving now...... :2tu:

That is unless somebody has a GTS that they want to trade me now and in that case, drop me a line....... :nana:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper