Hurst shifter help!!!

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok this is the third time I am posting for this problem. I replaced my stock shifter with a Hurst short shifter. Installation went fine, however, the shifter doesn't return to the center all the time, sometimes it will stop between 1st and 3rd. If I slighty tap on the knob it pops back to the center. This is very annoying, it made me miss from 3rd to 4th from time to time, by going into second. I called Hurst to see if they have any higher tension springs, they sent me the same replacement springs. Can someone please help!!! Thanks in advance. Derek

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm did you grease the plastic cap before inserting the hurst, or maybe the shifter is binding on the metal shaveing, from drilling out the rivets.

OP
OP
D

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
negative, I tried turning the shifting linkage left and right with my fingers, it's perfectly fine. So I narrowed it down to the Hurst shifter itself. I really think some higher tension would solved this problem. Thanks for your input.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you put the stock shifter back in? If this problem goes away with the stock shifter, have Hurst send you a new one and send them your old one back.

OP
OP
D

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the stock one back and it's shifting fine

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to say its the shifter. Mine works great..almost intuitively notches to the gear I'm selecting...no hunting & pecking from 2-3/3-4. Centers in neutral without effort/sticking. Got mine off E-bay...but at the time I was concerned that maybe some of these "new" ones for sale on-line might be factory rejects picked up at some discounter action. Ever wonder what Hurst does with the percentage that do not pass QC checks?? But, mine works great...whewww.

OP
OP
D

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put it all the way to the left, hold it, then let go slowly. Does it centers itself, or does it get stuck between 1st and third. Mine is really start to piss me off. Thanks for your input. Derek

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Center's just fine. It was a ***** at first getting into reverse with the stubby Hurst knob, but that seems to have resolved itself (or I just learned that it requires more force than the stocker). Also, I modified the OEM knob to fit on the Hurst and that gives a better feel as well. I'd really be pissed if I was having the problems you indicate...especially after the cost, time, labor. These aftermarket items are suppose to increase the ownership enjoyment...not make it a PITA.!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456