"Observe Memorial Day"

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
\"Observe Memorial Day\"

Please, don't just take the day off, without at least a private moment or two of contemplation for how and why we have this extra day of rest.

Freedom is NOT free......and hundreds of thousands of U.S. Soldiers have paid the ultimate price for our right to Bar-B-Que, Worship, Live, and drive how and what pleases us. If you ever get to visit Arlington, or The Wall, or any US Military Cemetary on Foreign soul, only then can you comprehend the depths of sacrifice our countrymen have paid....and continue pay.

We are the envy of most of the world......because a few hundred thousand have paid with their lives. And because millions more were WILLING TO.

Our freedom was paid for. And installments are still occasionly due.

On MONDAY, Until NOON, Flags at HALF STAFF PLEASE....Say that prayer, and HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.

[ I'm BBQ-ing Sturgeon and Monkfish............and celebrating the 10th anniversary of the VIPER GTS as INDY PACE CAR, TODAY, MAY 26th! ]

Note: Since this is an "international" forum, some may NOT know that this is USA-Memorial Day Weekend. A National holiday, Monday 5/29. Other countries may share this same date, or have similar holidays to honor their war-deaths.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

As an ex. Marine ('66 - '70) and Vietnam Vet ('68 '69), when I visited the wall it was just too intense for me. I went with a cavalier attitude and came away shaken to the core. When you first descend, it represents the years of the escalation, and then you turn the corner and slowly climb out of the pit as the dates increment and casualties decrement, culminating in the end.

Before descending, you are confronted with a statue of marine grunts in typical combat attire, looking as bewildered and weary as I remember.

Remember, in this country the military does not declare war, that is the perogative of congress. We often lose sight of that, and during unpopular wars like Vietnam, the public ends up despising the military, as if it was their decision to go to war.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

<< Remember, in this country the military does not declare war, that is the perogative of congress. We often lose sight of that, and during unpopular wars like Vietnam, the public ends up despising the military, as if it was their decision to go to war. >>

so true. it really saddens me knowing that so many of you were treated so horribly when you returned. i think GUILT is why so many people go out of their way nowadys to welcome home the troops.

i only saw peace when i was in the Navy mike. i could NEVER imagine what you went through and saw. it has to be a bit scary knowing that so many of your comrades never made it home when you see that wall. i am glad you are with us today.

You must be registered for see images

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Thanks alot Jon. I am still in.... Just a pinch over 34 years time in service. I have both the Southeast Asia service ribbon and the Southwest Asia service ribbon among a ton of others.

There have been too many good men and women that have been lost during that time. Please take just a minute bow your head and at least say thanks.

Then as the "gunny" would say Carry on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62