Another one of those I smell something burning threads...

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK guys, I've noticed a burnt rubber smell when accelerating hard at times. Now, it's not from my wheels spinning mind you. I've noticed it a few times. Especially on the freeway when I'm accelerating to pass a Corvette :nana: . Any idea's where it might be coming from?

Bat™

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you had an opportunity to put the car up on a lift to look for hot spots along the exhaust paths? Granted you're saying when you get on it, but all the same I would have a good look for any evidence there to start.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
a couple of things I would check.

1. Your belts. Make sure they are tight and also look at it to see if it's rubbing anywhere.
2. Make sure your belt is not too old...when the car spins at high rpms, the crank pulley may be spinning on a belt that is slipping.
3. Make sure your AC is not locking up....I had this happen to me...burnt up my belt.
4. Make sure your Idler tensioner pulley is not worn or broken.

If you smell it while acceleratin..I would assume its coming from the front.

pescadito

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Andy, Check the sidewalls of your rear tires. They maybe rubbing when you accelerate hard. Dave mention you had to put spacers when you upgraded to the new brake caliper. And since you wheels are already wide I'm guessing the tires are rubbing when your rear squats from a hard acceleration.

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you may be right. I see alittle wear on the tires as well as the top of the wheel well fender. Guess I should get my fenders rolled. Anyone here done that?

Bat™

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper