Front license plate.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Oregon we have to have a front license plate. I have been getting by without one on my Miata for several years with only one warning but I think the new Viper will get a bit more attention than the Miata. Anyway I would like to see any Vipers out there that have a front plate so I can see what I would be looking at if I get nailed. Any pictures???? It would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Pics as soon as it gets here. (Saturday the 3rd I hope)

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got tired of being harassed about no front plate and ordered this from partsrack.com as it required no drilling into the front fascia.

5397HPIM4627.JPG

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, the one from partsrack is the only way to go. Just leave it in the trunk and if you get pulled over say you took it off the last time you washed the car and must have forgot to put it back on. Then you pop it on in 5 seconds. :2tu:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake bite has a good idea there. We also have to have a front plate in Illinois but i said the hell with it because i can't stand the way it looks. I just take my chances. (knock on wood)

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. That's a great idea. I think the Parts Rack is right here in Oregon too. I am already going to order a skip shift thing so I'll order the license plate frame at the same time. Thanks again.

Mark

V

venms96

At least you are being cool about the subject, and not like others who, recently, used this issue to bash some guys profession.

If you know you need a front plate, and you purposely don't have one because of cosmetic reasons, that's fine. But don't get on here and bash a Cop when you get caught, when you knew all along you were trying to get away with it. Lame.......

I don't think that great looking Sapphire GTS looks too bad with a front plate. I thought it would be worse actually. And it sounds like the Parts Rack is the way to go.

venms96
1996 GTS

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you know you need a front plate, and you purposely don't have one because of cosmetic reasons, that's fine. But don't get on here and bash a Cop when you get caught, when you knew all along you were trying to get away with it. Lame.......

venms96
1996 GTS

Not true at all in my case. Before I got the partsrack plate mount I was singled out simply because I was in a Viper and pulled over infront of a croud of people and ticketed. As I was getting my ticket there must have been 30 cars drive by without plates. Noone ever gets that ticket. Just that guy in the viper.

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO,
I have to agree with SNAKE BITE. There is a difference when the Police officer goes out of his way to single you out. That is exactly what happened to me. I know it is the law but there is something called "discretion". Instead of focusing on the real issues such as crime and the numerous reckless drivers. They target the bullsh*t infractions because it makes them feel good. I have respect for police officers but not the ones that go out of their way to make a point and give you the smart ass comments about how you must obey the law. Now off my soapbox.

Bandit400

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I rec'd my only front plate ticket (which at the time almost resulted in a second ticket for "improper seat belt placement" as a result of the officer's ignorance) I took a walk into my local precinct to complain about a particular officer that kept hounding me.

I was told by the Captain (with whom I have some standing) that there are a few police units that are assigned to write equipment and registration violation tickets. That is their specific job. They are sent about to different locations typically where there's traffic slowdowns where they can take their time to walk down rows of cars and ticket violators.

I post this only to suggest that it may not really be the fault of the officer, but more a problem with the overall policy.

Since that explaination, I simply stop well before I cross any bridge or tunnel (where I now KNOW these little equipment sting operations set up) and throw the front plate on. So far, so good.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here`s a close up of what I`v done.Behind the lower plate I`v glued carpet and at the center,so not to harm the paint.Add it 117 mph at the drags with no problem.

You must be registered for see images

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"put the plate on .why give them an excuse to write you a couple of tickets"

Exactly.

I don't want to give them a reason to stop me.

I believe that the red light cameras are the reason for more strict enforcement than there might have been years ago.

Before the cameras, not having a front plate was just a rule, no real solid reason for it, just a rule.
Now, it's a big deal.
Those cameras bring in big money.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, the one from partsrack is the only way to go. Just leave it in the trunk and if you get pulled over say you took it off the last time you washed the car and must have forgot to put it back on. Then you pop it on in 5 seconds.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least you are being cool about the subject, and not like others who, recently, used this issue to bash some guys profession.

venms96
1996 GTS

YEP, LAME is a great defination for the cry babies.....I have to agree with Venms96 with his reply. The FACT of the matter is that it is the law for some states.....so put in on or pay the fine...NO need to whine like you are being mistreated....or you feel special and immune because you drive a Viper, and are "singled" out...Face reality.

And I agree with City Snake's (well stated). I learned something from his post, about the the different job duties of officers.

What is the difference between running a stop sign or not using the front plate...you are still breaking the law either way...and are aware of it.

Dave

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the difference between running a stop sign or not using the front plate...you are still breaking the law either way...and are aware of it.

Running a stop sign can cause a wreck or you could hit a pedestrian. The front plate law some states have is just another money maker for them. Red light cameras could be positioned where they could photograph the rear tag (Atlanta has it set up this way for those who try to avoid paying on toll roads).

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive around with no plates at all sometimes. No tickets yet. Sometimes I forget to put the rear plate back on after a good wash and wax.

Maybe they can get a picture of that.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to post a picture of a solution I saw a long time ago but link no worky: make a duplicate plate out of vinyl and stuck it on the car. Does not goof up the lines of the body.

I have even heard about a 996TT in California that painted his front plate on and buried it in clear.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Running a stop sign can cause a wreck or you could hit a pedestrian. The front plate law some states have is just another money maker for them. Red light cameras could be positioned where they could photograph the rear tag (Atlanta has it set up this way for those who try to avoid paying on toll roads).

We all know what can happen running a light or stop sign, I was stating in general. Perhaps I need to rephrase this for you....What is the difference in commiting any "traffic violation" or not using a front plate...NONE ..it is still against the law. And I stand on what I say in my posts. Just telling it like it is.

**** IT UP and stop WHINING about it. The law is the law...if you don't like , move to another friendly state...or buy a volkswagon

Dave

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YEP, LAME is a great defination for the cry babies.....I have to agree with Venms96 with his reply. The FACT of the matter is that it is the law for some states.....so put in on or pay the fine...NO need to whine like you are being mistreated....or you feel special and immune because you drive a Viper, and are "singled" out...Face reality.

Dave

You live in a FANTASY LAND if you think people haven't gotten "singled out" for this exact reason while driving a viper.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here`s a close up of what I`v done.Behind the lower plate I`v glued carpet and at the center,so not to harm the paint.Add it 117 mph at the drags with no problem.

Man, that hurts just looking at it!

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave

You live in a FANTASY LAND if you think people haven't gotten "singled out" for this exact reason while driving a viper.

LOL, No andy, the ones who are living in a "fantasy land" are the ones who drive without the front plate and KNOW that it is wrong...and have the balls to whine about it.....please...the facts are the facts.

The first day you got your viper...you were singled out...both in a good and bad way.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We all know what can happen running a light or stop sign, I was stating in general. Perhaps I need to rephrase this for you....What is the difference in commiting any "traffic violation" or not using a front plate...NONE ..it is still against the law. And I stand on what I say in my posts. Just telling it like it is.

**** IT UP and stop WHINING about it. The law is the law...if you don't like , move to another friendly state...or buy a volkswagon

Dave

Hey hero,
so you've never speed, right? Let say you do, by accident of course :rolleyes: What's the difference between that and capital ******?! They are both against the law :bonker: :bonker:

It's called perspective, have some why don't you :evilmad:

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mad0953(Mark)...sorry for the detour of your post....over and out. :usa:

99rt/10, there is NO difference in speeding and capital ******....Just ask OJ

hero?....NO , I'm your Huckleberry :buttkick:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, the one from partsrack is the only way to go. Just leave it in the trunk and if you get pulled over say you took it off the last time you washed the car and must have forgot to put it back on. Then you pop it on in 5 seconds. :2tu:

Our "Rubber Clothes Pin" Snap-on plate bracket truly takes about 5 SECONDS to install or remove, and does NOT look like a cancerous appendage. It has made life simpler for hundreds of owners in stickler-states. We 'invented' the car-wash ploy years ago as a way to pass an 'attitude check' that all cops make us go thru.... IT WORKS. Make sure you leave a couple dead bugs on it.

I've had a few vette owners ask us to make one for them....

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This pic is like haveing a girlfriend who is so ugly you show yours friends what she looks like from a distance. Because from 100 ft she dont look half bad. You get my drift!!!!!!!!!!

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score

venms96
1996 GTS

YEP, LAME is a great defination for the cry babies.....

you are still breaking the law either way...and are aware of it.

2BADD 4U, easy to say when you don't have to worry about installing a front plate on your car.

Do you cross the street between cross-walks? You are breaking the law!

IMHO, flawed logic.

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes, looks like I hit a soft spot with a lot of you guys. I ordered a frame from Parts Rack yesterday and will carry it in the trunk and use the car wash alibi. I get my car today so I am pretty jazzed right about now. I have a list a mile long of who wants a ride. I'll be busy till July 4th. Oh well.....better than watching the NBA right? Talk about whiners.

Art is in the eye of the beholder and I know if I get a ticket it's my fault. I work for the county here in Oregon and hope that works when a county mountie pulls me over.

Will try to post some pics tonight.

Mark