Just bought first viper how did i do?

edmontonviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a 94 yellow rt10 off the site with 2900 miles and autoform roof, also has the venom [******] 500 package for $34,000 good deal or not? Also does anyone know what the venom 500 package includes for upgrades and does it increase horsepower.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal to me.....
Welcome to the YELLOW club....

Venom 500 i believe is 1.7 RR exhaust inc headers and smooth tubes and filters..

OP
OP
E

edmontonviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks can't wait to go down and pick her up i fly to North Carolina on tuesday morning......originally i was having it shipped but the truck could not pick it up for a long time so decided to make the 2600 mile journey just hope i have no problems with it on the way home.....are these cars very reliable or like a harley davidson? sorry guys i don't know as i have never even sat in the seat of one....going to ba a long drive home i am sure....lol

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks can't wait to go down and pick her up i fly to North Carolina on tuesday morning......originally i was having it shipped but the truck could not pick it up for a long time so decided to make the 2600 mile journey just hope i have no problems with it on the way home.....are these cars very reliable or like a harley davidson? sorry guys i don't know as i have never even sat in the seat of one....going to ba a long drive home i am sure....lol

From what I have read it will be very reliable just as long as you take into account some of the beast's perks :2tu:
Keep the wheel straight when you really get on it, watch your shifts carefully (but not too much or you'll have less fun driving), that should be all to let the love begin. Oh I forgot, get used to your new celebrity status because people will inevitably take pictures etc ;) :cool:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a deal. Get some pics up asap. The trip back will not seem long, when you get home you'll want to turn around and do it again.
There are quite a few Vs in Alberta, my bro is located in Edmonton, too. Good luck at the border, make sure you've got you're paper work together.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have a local Viper Tech (Tom is in NC) inspect it before to go on a 2500 miles+ trip. You are going to double the mileage of a 12 years old car in 2-3 days. Just my 0.02...
Good luck and ...good deal. :2tu:

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Edmonton, that cheap shot on Mahalek turned that series around against my Sharks, The Sharks should have played Scott Parker,with instructions to maim............Oh, nice car

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have a local Viper Tech (Tom is in NC) inspect it before to go on a 2500 miles+ trip. You are going to double the mileage of a 12 years old car in 2-3 days. Just my 0.02...
Good luck and ...good deal. :2tu:

Good call, luckily I get nervous by nature when I have to cover a great distance in my car (already had to make a few of those trips) and always plan a check-up before doing so. It never hurts to make sure everything is in perfect shape before you leave, better still it makes you feel totally at ease about everything when starting your journey :)
Tell who ever you decide to have your Viper inspected by to not waste any time in thoroughly looking everything over and you should be good :2tu: There's nothing like a long voyage driving such a wonderful car like the Viper.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like an unbelieveable deal to me. If that car was listed on this site at that price it would have been snatched up in minutes. And I second what Topawam said about having it checked out by the viper tech. Congrats!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a long trip like that you just might get rained on.

Be very careful about hydroplaning at highway speed on a really wet road.
Big tires do that. You really have to watch it when the rain is coming down hard.
There have been more than a few reports of this.

Your 94 has no electronics between you and the road. It can come out from under you in a second.
As others have said, make sure the wheels are straight when you punch it or it will break loose.
Your Viper may have old hard tires. These are very dangerous. Take it easy.

If it were me, making that long trip in a Viper, with no Viper experience,
I'd take it easy and enjoy the trip. Don't take any chances, drive it easy.
No tickets, no wrecks.

By the way, the cops often single out Vipers. That just comes with the car.

Kids will want to race you. Avoid that, at least on your trip home.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Shiiiiiii! You haven't gotten it yet?

The drive back SHOULD be fine, but like any mechanical devise, dodo happens.

Maybe look up Dodge dealers and tuners along the route before you leave.

I dove my 2000 GTS from Oklahoma to Florida via North Carolina and met Tom Session because the back glass issue.

Good Luck

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

OP
OP
E

edmontonviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive feedback and yes the tires are original and i do plan on taking it slow until i get home and put the shinny new wheels i bought from a great VCA member that took great care in shipping them to me. Was not planning on driving it and was a little nervous but am starting to get a little excited now....oh and ledfoot yes it was a weak goal but i think the outcome of the series was inevidable......lol....go oilers go and i will get some pics of her when i get it home.

lobo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey edmonton, I just bought mine last week and am a new guy here too. Sounds like a nice ride. I opted to drive mine from Ga to Fl also instead of shipping it...you're gonna love it. Please post some pics when you can and don't forget the Fuzz Buster :) .

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey bro....'92-'96 Viper Roadsters are inadmissable into Canada.
You maybe able to get around this if you can get the child tether anchorage hardware from DC before you come back across the line.
Let me know if I can help?
Tracy Jensen

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bro....'92-'96 Viper Roadsters are inadmissable into Canada.
You maybe able to get around this if you can get the child tether anchorage hardware from DC before you come back across the line.
Let me know if I can help?
Tracy Jensen

Child tether anchorage obligated in a sportscar like the Viper :confused: ? I guess you learn something new every day :)

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know it's horse [******], but I know a guy from Toronto that bought a Red '94 RT a couple years ago when I was selling my '94. He bought it in TX and got to customs and they wouldn't let him bring it in to Canada. My ol man bought a Testarossa in Washington two years ago and had the same issues, although the Ferrari was to do with bumpers.
Even the new GT40's are inadmissible. That's all about bumpers, so take it for what it is worth guys.
Just don't shoot the messenger! :eek:

OP
OP
E

edmontonviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
tracy thank you very much for the heads up as i don't plan on leaving it south of the boarder.....how can i get this kit and is it easy to install any help would be greatly appreciated thanks again.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to the link I provided. There is suppose to be more info on the cover pages (I haven't had time to research) and see what it says. Then I would contact your local Dodge dealer to see if they can provide you with some documentation that it has been ordered or better yet, contact those a$$hats at Canada Customs.
Also here is another site that would be helpful.
http://www.riv.ca/
Good luck and I hope all works out.
Again, I hate being the one with bad news. But if nothing else, I hopefully saved you from alot of wasted time, money and headaches.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is something else I was able to find. Lots of reading for you, but better now than later.

So far this is what I have .
www.riv.ca is a major site , but some things may be confusing for the average joe.

Step 1. Make sure you can import the car.
Here is a Direct link for adobe on what cars are ADMISSABLE a.k.a cars you can import.
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Many cars that are in the US market do not meet Canadian safety standards (Yes even new cars) and are not importable at all.
So in order to get your car here from the states you need to understand a few things (Yes its a bit long to do , but I really think it is worth it!).

First off Canada has hired a private firm to allow cars to be imported and it is the company we know as RIV or Registar of Imported Vehicles , you can also reach them at 1-88-848-8240 you SHOULD call them just to double check if you can import the car you want.

Step 2. Things you need to do prior to importing.

You will need

- I think the new law is in , you need a Canadian Passport. If you have say a British passport , you will have more hassle and possible could need a Visa LOL.

-US Title to the vehicle

- Bill of sale/transfer of ownership (Basically like any normal car sale)

- You will also need a written notice from the manufacturer of the vehicle stating that any recalls that may be in effect have been done to the car .. This letter does not include dealerships , so it could be a little pain in the ass.

- Orignal stickers stating that it meets the Federal safety standards in effect of the date of manufactoring.

- You need to contact the US customs at least 3 days in advance telling them that you are going to exporting a vehicle from there country. http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/impoexpo/impoexpo.htm
You also might need to provide the original title or a certified copy , and 2 additional complete copies of the title at least 3 days , you should also Contact them to double check this ( I will be this week) this might change. (EDIT: You can just fax them this. For Alberta , you need to fax it to "WHITELAST MONTANA")
-Also when you call Whitelash station , they will fax you a peice of paper to fax back to them . It bascially just has your name , sellers name , car vin , ect...

Side note: Be very careful that the car does not have a lean on it , you will NOT be able to bring the car to Canada.

WHILE IN THE US - Go to a DMV (Road registry) Tell them you need an exporting pass , it costs $15 US and is simple to fill out. The only hassle is waiting in line at the DMV.

Step 3: Crossing the damn boarder.

---GET GAS IN THE US ITS CHEAPER , then cross.

You must cross the right boarder , do not make the mistake like alot of people do by trying to cross the wrong boarder (charged more) so like I said before call the Canadian customs a head of time , its simple and saves alot of hassle. (I crossed at Coutts AB)

Next when arriving at the CORRECT booth , explain to the Customs officer what you are doing . And you will have to go into a Customs office. They will scan your passports , ask your price , ask for bill of sale.

At the CANADIAN BOARDER
You will need to fill out a bunch of papers . Like I said before you will need the title , bill of sale (duh) , mileage , and on the door jam , manufactor date. Once that is done , it is time to open up the wallet. Now when I went there , they got really snoopy and asked where I found the car , what internet site i found it on. So be prepared for these questions.

Step 4: Empty your wallet, 7 Percent and 6.1 percent on bill of sale price. (DONT LIE ON BILL OF SALE)

Everything is in CANADIAN $ .

- Paper work - $182 - This can be mailed and payed for later.

- Duty Tax - Duty tax is 6.1 % but does not include Canadian or US built cars.. Its best to call a head of time to double check what your car falls under. - Here is a phone Ive pulled off another guide 1-800-461-9999.

- Excise Tax - AC tax aka a bunch of [******]. $100

- Tax - Yup you have to pay 7% on what the car is worth DO NOT LIE ABOUT THIS , THEY WILL INVESTIGATE IF THEY THINK YOU ARE LIEING.
You will be charged 25%+ on the portion you have lied about

Simple and easy. I will be doing this month , And I will be takeing pictures of areas to go to (Alberta) and pictures of all the forms and how to fill them out properly. I hope this helps people who plan to import , it can be intimidating but its defiantly worth it!

Also , I will be researching on towing companys.

ONCE IN CANADA THINGS TO DO

I totally forgot to post this. Yes you have a Canadian Car , BUT YOUR NOT DONE YET!.

Things you need to do with in a months time of haveing the car in Canada

- Installing Day time running lights ( This can be done at alot of places and is fairly easy to do - Canadian tire can do this.

- You will need to get a car inspection (I believe the paper can be bought at a registry for $18) - They will check basic things like , lights , how it drives ect ect , this is pretty damn painless , and sometimes they might *cough* forget to do it and pass you.

- Get your damn insurance RIGHT AWAY

- Getting your plate - After all the necessary paper work is done ,you will need to go back to the registry and show them the paper work and importation papers - they will then hand you a plate.

- Provincal Inspection to completed , you have 10 - 15 days to complete this once you have applied for the inspection (This is how you can register the car.

-Federal Inspection sheet , 10 days after you import your car , you will get form 2 in the mail , this inspection you have to do at Canadian tire. You have 45 days to complete this.

-Getting insured -My insurance company was very easy on this , they didnt look at my car ..nothing , they just asked the make and model and it was done .

Gotta go now, it's my birthday and I hear a keg of beer calling my name. Check your PM, I left you my cell number in case there is something I can do to help you out.

OP
OP
E

edmontonviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow Tracy thank you very much you have bein a huge help and i will give you a call if i need further info....THANKS AGAIN.....this site is a real gift.

Sheldon

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the deal with the Gen 1 being inadmissable to Canada was because the child tether package was not obtainable through DC. You could get those same parts from a Canadian wreck but since the manufacturer could not supply them, Canada Customs excludes the car outright. So even with the pieces on, the car may not get to the inspection stage. I cleared my 2002, paid the GST etc at the Customs office at the airport in Edmonton but I guess you can try it at the boarder. Here is a link on point. Good luck.
http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=124352&Forum=UBB14&Words=importing&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=124352&Search=true#Post124352
If you can PM or more likely email Vindicator who posted the above, he can let you know if they found a way to beat the Customs rules. Otherwise save yourself the trip south and look at reselling it.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did all you Alberta/Edmonton Viper owners come from? I never saw any of you when I lived there!

Edmonton Viper Congrats on the Viper! BUY SOME NEW TIRES BEFORE YOU DRIVE 2500 miles!!!! I picked up my 92 RT/10 with the original tires and they are CRAP! You will have a much better drive on new pilots or PS2's. I have driven from Norcal to Edmonton and back in a viper 3 times now ( Last tie through55 miles of blizzard on the cocawhatever in BC ) and I can tell you from experience that a Viper is a great long distance vehicle, have a great drive, but as others have said get Tom Sessions to go over your car before you drive that far. You do not want to get stuck in Bugfart anywhere with a broken down Viper.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal to me.....
Welcome to the YELLOW club....

Venom 500 i believe is 1.7 RR exhaust inc headers and smooth tubes and filters..

The Venom 500 did not have aftermarket rockers. My 500 had headers, exhaust, tubes, 1/2 stock cats, filters, 3.55 rear, mats, badging, shifter.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did all you Alberta/Edmonton Viper owners come from? I never saw any of you when I lived there!

Edmonton Viper Congrats on the Viper! BUY SOME NEW TIRES BEFORE YOU DRIVE 2500 miles!!!! I picked up my 92 RT/10 with the original tires and they are CRAP! You will have a much better drive on new pilots or PS2's. I have driven from Norcal to Edmonton and back in a viper 3 times now ( Last tie through55 miles of blizzard on the cocawhatever in BC ) and I can tell you from experience that a Viper is a great long distance vehicle, have a great drive, but as others have said get Tom Sessions to go over your car before you drive that far. You do not want to get stuck in Bugfart anywhere with a broken down Viper.

A Viper surviving a blizzard? Wow! I've been in a blizzard myself when I was in Germany but even with my lower performing car I got VERY nervous if everyone else would be equally cautious and not get overcouraged and go over the safest possible pace of just 40-50km/h where the limit was 130 :eek: You can see pics of how bad it was in the thread I made in the Driven section when clicking the link I provided in one of the bottom posts.