Paxton VS. Roe Which is the better for my application?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on the power you will be happy with, the kind of racing or drving you do etc....

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both are pretty popular around here. Roe system is especially popular if you like doing the work yourself. Paxton seems more common among dealers / tuners.

I'm on my 2nd Roe car and love the instant on nature of the Roe. Boost is available anywhere in the RPM range and I think that makes it a more fun ride.

I also had a Paxton SC car (but it was not a Viper). HP built with RPM, so at around-town driving almost the same as stock, it's only when you were in the car hard HP level went way up. Probably has more potential MAX HP than a Roe but it's up in the RPM range - maybe 4000+.

Have a go with the search feature... This is an oft asked question and there's no right answer. Pick either and you'll be amazed - but if it were me, I'd pick the Roe!

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paxton has much more potential...will make more peak power, and most importantly is intercooled and runs cooler** Area under the curve is less than the roe, however cars this powerful and torquey you WANT to have a linear powerband anyway IMO :) ...the roe is a great bolt on though, and you can't beat the price* :)

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93-96 get a Paxton. 97 on up get a Roe. Paxton's are better suited for the Gen1 cars. Pros and cons for each system. I like the fact that the Paxton has it's own fuel system and has an intercooler. Roe's doesn't have either. You have to buy each seperately if you want it and both are VERY important in my mind. Either system is nice and the instant on power is spectacular!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 pound Roes don't need the water/**** per Sean. I don't have it(I also need that space for traveling)and have 3500 miles and one track event to date. I also like the fact that I don't need high RPMs for max power. I try to shift around 5K now......although with 3:45s and Fidanza flywheel..1st and 2nd gear seem to melt away instantly. ..Hard to catch it at 5000 RPM, but I'll continue to deal with it ;)

I think the Paxtons work well on Gen IIIs as well, but from the research I did, the Gen II Paxton really needs to put on by a Paxton guy. The intercooler is a very nice feature.

I installed and tuned mine myself with excellent support from Sean and a couple other Roe guys. Because of the temperature extremes we see here, I will probably have 3 cards. 30 degrees to 50. 50 to 70 or so and a hot card for 80 and above.

Steve

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were my car, Id get the paxon because on street tires, I believe it will have more usable power. The roe will give you instant torque but it may break traction easier than the progressive powerband of the paxton.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a weekend driver you cannot beat the "Bling-Bling" factor of ROE.

3114IMG_9449_copy.jpg

If you want more power than Roe can give you (Over 600-700HP), go Paxton.

OP
OP
D

Da1cop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys...Looks like im going to have SVS do a set up for me. This will work nice because they are only 3 hours away.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys...Looks like im going to have SVS do a set up for me. This will work nice because they are only 3 hours away.
In THAT case definitely go Paxton. You won't regret the advantages of having a well tuned **intercooled** package. :)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were my car, Id get the paxon because on street tires, I believe it will have more usable power. The roe will give you instant torque but it may break traction easier than the progressive powerband of the paxton.

Slow first gear roll with Kumhos and I have good traction.....better then a stocker on Michelins.

Are there any DIY type stock motor Paxtons ?? Do they not race ? Where are the et's ?
Are there any in Atlanta.....lets settle this with a video camera.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my friend in the local club,MCVO, just dynoed his self installed paxton on a stock car(with only other additon besides paxton being a mopar performance exhuast). 690rwhp and 620rwtq(on a dynojet). dont know what kind of drag times he'd do though. he is more of a road course guy

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always read these deliberations with some sense of misunderstanding. I have Sean's setup (perhaps an unconcious bias) and must be misunderstand the meaning and use of the widely used term "street use".

"Street use" to me suggests LOWER genarally lower RPM use. In a Viper, (again) to ME, that would suggest an RPM band from 500 to say 4000.

For "everyday, street use" in that RPM band range, why anyone would go with a centriffugal supercharger over a twin screw bolt on system that's far less costly and provides more HP and far more torque?

Obviously, if my prior understanding and application of "street use" is incorrect, then so is my argument.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always read these deliberations with some sense of misunderstanding. I have Sean's setup (perhaps an unconcious bias) and must be misunderstand the meaning and use of the widely used term "street use".

"Street use" to me suggests LOWER genarally lower RPM use. In a Viper, (again) to ME, that would suggest an RPM band from 500 to say 4000.

For "everyday, street use" in that RPM band range, why anyone would go with a centriffugal supercharger over a twin screw bolt on system that's far less costly and provides more HP and far more torque?

Obviously, if my prior understanding and application of "street use" is incorrect, then so is my argument.
I think your general remark about street use is correct* It's what most people think and what tuners cater their "street" labeled mods for...the low and mid-range power curves as oppose to all out high end.

However, MY philosophy is; in a Viper when you want your power(increase) you'll down shift and give it all it's got in a race. I buy $7,000+ mods to WIN RACES, not to just to look pretty or have great torque/power during "off-rpms" or in an off gear. You have plenty of power/torque in a viper already to chug around town with...what I want is to beat/blow away the competition when they roll up beside me to challange me on a vacant highway (which is what happens 90% of the time). And as far as "street" is concerned...then appropriately I will assume you'd be on some [******] "STREET" tires too (michelin pilots, pirelli's, etc.) ...i don't know about you guys, but my Viper GTS has [******] traction in 1st and most of 2nd gear on its stock pilots at the strip and my only mods are exhaust and intake. I can only imagine how ridiculously poor my traction would be with a roe blower giving me full boost by ~2.5K rpms, my times and acceleration would suffer on my stock pilots up thru the 330ft mark. A centrifugal supercharger, on the other hand, would give you little or nothing down low <2K rpms and then *progressively* give your more and more to redline, making for a "usable power curve" on "street" tires. Lastly, it has an *intercooler* unlike the roe which makes for much lower IAT's and more stable HP gains with little heat soak issues (unlike the roe).

Real world, let's stage a race...a 6.5 pr 8psi roe car vs. a paxton...my money would be on the paxton on *street tires.* And regardless of tires the paxton would "walk away" from the roe once traction isn't an issue anymore where top-end & HP rule the game... ;) :2tu:

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The water/methanol IS the intercooler for the Roe system and is both inexpensive and easy to install. My blower inlet tubes are COLD, AFTER a dyno pull. If you run a Roe without W/M, you are missing out big time.

As far as controlling low end torque, I use the gas pedal.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harrier Jets have used water injection right into the front of that big beautiful Peguses engine for years...especially landing VTO/L over the hot deck of a LPD/LHD...so its not like W/M injection is some weird science. For me at some point, its the ROE system for my creampuff.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does having to replace the front cross member to install a Paxton system mess up the handling? It seems the replacement part it far less sturdy than the stock piece.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont like the paxton replacement at all. it HAS TO be less sturdy and especially at high speeds.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go with a Tuner setup, go with Paxton IC setup.
Great, streetable power, intercooler and easily upgradable to massive amount of power!

Roe makes a great system too though.

SVS does TTs too, and that would take a SC out of the picture totally.

Here are a couple pictures of my pre-TT, SCi setup that Heffner used to offer.

1494snakes_011-med.jpg

1494snakes_014-med.jpg

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have any real world numbers on the two? Similarly modded cars at the strip?? Any races between the two?

Say if you have a creampuff, with the basic bolt ons and a Roe VS a creampuff and simple bolt ons with a Paxton???

Would love to see that data

--wes

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any real world numbers on the two? Similarly modded cars at the strip?? Any races between the two?

Say if you have a creampuff, with the basic bolt ons and a Roe VS a creampuff and simple bolt ons with a Paxton???

I have a creampuff with basic bolt ons.....3:45s/Belanger headers/3" pipe/Fidanza flywheel/tubes/filters/Roe 5 pounder---no water/**** (no room--need the trunk space for traveling)

I am very happy with this set up. 4000 miles on the blower to date since May. Adding another 3000 in the next couple weeks. The blower was self installed and tuned--no dyno. May never see a dyno---too far away. A good tune can be accomplished without a dyno by doing actual log runs and making your own cards. If you're looking for big HP numbers at high RPM...go for the Paxton. I like the big torque down low for street and road track use. My car has only been down a drag strip a dozen times or so in 60,000 miles. I typically don't ever go over 5500 RPM and actually try to shift around 5K or a little higher if I can catch it. With the gears and flywheel, 1st and 2nd literally melt away. The engine will last longer not going all the way up. My shift points are Sean's recommendations. It's not often you'll get to exercise the Paxton full power on the street. The Roe should perform just about the same for 90% of the driving you do on the street. In a 3rd gear pull from 50-100, a Paxton with 150 more HP does not pull a 5 pound Roe by much. (So says a friend of mine with a high HP Gen III Paxton who just did such a thing). He walked the Gen I Roe car above 100 in 3rd gear once he starting spooling up. I should add that the Gen I Roe car is still running the factory supplied 6D card. No tuning done yet. I'll bet there's about 25% more in that car with a good tune. My Gen II factory card was very rich from the factory. (high 9s/low 10s)

You have to ask yourself...what percent of driving your going to do at triple digits on the street unless you plan on getting friendly with local police.

What I've read on this forum, a GenII Paxton install/tune is not for the do it your selfer. The Roe was a little challenge, but I'm smarter for it and know a lot more about the car than I did.

Steve

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve. I thought Dave had a 6 1/2 psi or something like that pulley, and not a 5. Regardless it did pull very well at lower rpms. I doubt 25% was still in the bag (over 100 hp!) but I could believe 10 or 20 hp easy. But I still have that much in the bag as well.

Overall I agree with your assertions except one. That is I get into the power each and every time I drive.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed the roe system on my 97 GTS this summer. It was a great time if you enjoy this kind of thing. I think that for my style of driving I made the right choice. I plan on going down to see Roe next summer to have him do a tine to see what power it can really make.
Do a lot of home work and ask a lot of questions and you will not go wrong for you driving needs.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve. I thought Dave had a 6 1/2 psi or something like that pulley, and not a 5. Regardless it did pull very well at lower rpms. I doubt 25% was still in the bag (over 100 hp!) but I could believe 10 or 20 hp easy. But I still have that much in the bag as well.

Overall I agree with your assertions except one. That is I get into the power each and every time I drive.

Hi Ron,

Dave and I are down in Twinsburg for the annual event--heavy rain for a couple hundred miles on the way down. We're all set for the parade with last year's passengers.......but to clarify......I meant 25% more of the advertised Roe power--like 25+ more HP or so. I know tuning the car to 11.5 was a very noticable SOTP feel from the factory 6D card. I thought you said you're at 11.5 now? More in the bag? Are you holding out muh man?

The last I talked to Dave, it was a 5 pounder he was putting on. Maybe he bought the next one up.

....and yes, you do like to exercise your beast frequently. ...With a couple tickets in the last 3 years, most of my action is in the area where the Roe shines.;) Each system has it's advantages. The self installed Roe is cheaper, doesn't wind the engine up as high to make good power, and I think just as good for most street use. I'm quite satisfied with my little 5 pounder.

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456