What's your choice of fluids?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What\'s your choice of fluids?

Howdy folks, I'm trying to get an update on fluid choices for our Vipers. I have a '97 GTS, and will be replacing the fluids shortly. I have the service manual, but I thought I'd check up with VCA incase there have been any breakthroughs in fluid choices.

For the Transmission, it states Dex II or Dex III (I'm guessing a stamp on the housing will tell me which one to use? Is this true?) Any of you guys use something else? Any friction modifiers or additives?

How about the diff.?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s your choice of fluids?

Redline fluids all the way. Redline ATF in the tranny, 75w90 in the rear end. And something like Prestone Extended life anti-freeze with distilled water and 2x bottles Redline Waterwetter in the coolant. Also Redline Power steering fluid.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mopar diff and tranny.
Prestone
Redline PS
Mobil oil, Mobil filter
Any DOT 4 brake fluid/clutch for street.
Castrol SRF for track.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I no longer put RP or Redline into my street cars - heard some nasty things about their lifespan. MobilOne and Mopar lube my baby.

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bonkers I don't know where or what you have heard about Redline but if you check the SAE spec sheets, Redline exceeds Mobil 1 in all categories. Some by a large margin. Most Mobil 1 weights do not even meet the new European oil requirements and the others (0W-40, & 15W-50) barely meet them. MGH

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear that somebody was bad mouthing Redline. I have been using Redline in my Porsches for over 15 years including a lot of track time. And the Society of Automotive Engineers seems to agree with me as their oil tests show that Redline exceeds every Mobil 1 as well as most other oil specs by a large margin. If you use Mobil 1, I would suggest the 0W-40 (they call it "European car formula" black top) as it scored higher in all of the tests compared to the 10W-30.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "Society of Automotive Engineers" does not endorse engine oil. The car companies, through their organization of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) and working the the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) develop the engine and bench tests. Joint committees of the oil companies, additive companies, and OEMs then set the test specs. SAE lends its name to the viscosity grade categories.

BY DEFINITION, these engine and bench tests are PASS/FAIL, and an oil cannot pass "better" than another oil. Any discussion or suggestion of being better in a Sequence test demonstrates complete misuse the testing, quality, and certification procedures.

While European formulations add performance credentials, and they typically do provide better quality, you would always be advised to investigate what the added performance means. OEMs in Europe and in the US have a habit of bundling - so an oil that meets the latest cleanliness requirement also has to meet a low phosphorus limit, meaning that engines build for high phosphorus might be at risk. The phosphorus is an indication of the anti-wear additive treat rate. There may not be much choice (could use diesel oils or motorcycle oils), but a Viper's late 80's engine was designed when oils had 50% more anti-wear additive.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're quite welcome, I didn't care much for flipping through the manual all the time to get the capacities, etc., then get on here and filter through various posts to recommended brands, way too much trouble, thus the chart!

As noted, it is based on the 98, so be sure that you note any differences for your model year, if any.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mobile One 10-30 Oil and filter (new filters are now called "extended guard")
Mobile One ATF tranny fluid
Mobile One 75-140 gear lube

Mopar positraction additive

Motul 600 brake fluid

Cannot remember what coolant I put in when I swapped the radiator but I remember it does take four whole gallons now.

Reminds me I need to check my power steering fluid.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Miller Highlife

Man if you put Miller Highlife in your Viper, you might as well give it to me. Come to think of it, if you're drinking Miller Highlife, I'm surprised you have a Viper :bonker:

Cal :hitfan:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Miller Highlife

Man if you put Miller Highlife in your Viper, you might as well give it to me. Come to think of it, if you're drinking Miller Highlife, I'm surprised you have a Viper :bonker:

Cal :hitfan:

Agreed, MHL is the nastiest beer on the market. More suited for the Vette driver :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950