I'm a Viper owner!! Pics inside.

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m a Viper owner!! Pics inside.

I'm very excited to now be the owner of a '99 Viper GTS. As I had written before, I owned a FFR Cobra replica for over 4 years, but after the birth of my son and my changing jobs, I found that I never drove it. I loved that car to death and was very active with it (my wife and I founded the local club). I wanted something that had a little more practicality, such as windows and lockable doors, heater, roof, you know...the basics. But I wanted it as close to the Cobra as possible. So my natural choice was the Viper. I went with the GTS because the lines are simply stunning. Convertibles are a ton of fun and I like the RT/10, but my wife and I decided together that we'd like the coupe.

I bought this one from someone in Arizona who was selling it because he bought a blue/white GTS. It's got 43,000 miles and has been well taken care of. The transport company was phenomenal. Express Auto Transport. I called them for the first time on Friday night and they had it here at my house on Wednesday evening. Door to door for $1700, in a gorgeous enclosed tractor trailer. But I also want to say that Ralph, who I think goes by Forged Horseman on this forum, was also very helpful and would have done the job just as quickly and for a little less (I had already gave money to Express).

My first impressions of driving the car are excellent. It's deceptively fast. My Cobra was excessively noisy, smelled like exhaust, rode really rough and was very windy. Those were some of the things that I really liked about the car, it's "raw" driving experience, but you certainly felt every mph you were going. I got on the gas in the Viper and at first didn't really think it was super exciting. Then I looked at the speedo and realized I was going 80mph!!! :eek: :D This thing can fly!! Took it on the highway today and was thrilled that I could just cruise at 80mph, turning just over 1500rpm in 6th. It's damn fast, handles great, comfortable, rides nice (remember, I'm comparing it to my Cobra which could knock out a filling) and I am in love with the looks. To me, it looks evil in black, and at the same time looks sophisticated and stealthy. Plus the wife really likes it.

The only complaint I have so far is....who the heck designed the pedals in this thing??? For me to be able to fully depress the clutch I have to slide my seat so far up, my right leg is uncomfortable. I'm fighting trying to find a good compromise.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. As you can tell, I'm excited. I loved having a Cobra and really enjoyed getting together with fellow owners. I'm really looking forward to getting together with you guys too!

Steve

You must be registered for see images

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m a Viper owner!! Pics inside.

have you tried adjusting the pedals. I had a 2000 gts and there is a Knob in the center knee bolster. Clockwise to bring pedals forward counter to bring them back. I dont know how ever if the 99's had them. Like I said I had a 2000 gts.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my 98 has the knobs so im sure the 99 does.

great looking car and welcome to the club

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Play around with the adjustable pedals and seat position, you'll get comfortable with it. I had some trouble relearning the clutch/brake position after coming over from a Vette, now it's natural.

Congrats on the car, it's beautiful!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Given the beauty of black on the GTS body (if you are prepared to live with black) and that you have that magic year that has the Gen II interior upgrades AND forged pistons, and of course that the GTS is the greatest Viper ever (ducks!) it is not crazy to argue you chose the best combination Viper.

Adjust the pedals, but I have shorter legs for my height and with the pedals all the way toward me I feel a bit close to the steering wheel even with my preferred "ghetto lean" seating position, so no you are not crazy!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

awesome!

im looking for the same car... haha

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Thats an awesome looking GTS! They look absolutely SINISTER in black!

(and thats a good thing!)

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulatons,

Nice pictures, I also own a 99 Black GTS.

Now all the tinkering begins, it's addictive.

Alan
AlansPerformance.com

V

venms96

And yet, another PA. Viper Owner!
Let us know if you figured out those pedals yet.....

Great looking car, haven't seen many all Black.

Congrats

venms96
1996 GTS-Stock
SDMF

OP
OP
K

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks all.

OK, so don't I feel dumb not knowing it had adjustable pedals. I was actually thinking that when I was driving the car....my wife's Ford Taurus has adjustable pedals and I was thinking these should adjust too. I should have checked the owners manual. Du'h. Thanks for the info though, I'm going to go right downstairs now and adjust on it.

I have really grown to love the all black look. Originally, I wanted a blue/white car. Then I saw this car and fell in love. Yeah, I know about caring for a black car. My wife's last daily driver was black. But for this toy, I'm willing to put the work in. The look is just jaw dropping.

Steve

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Congrats on the purchase!

Not to be tacky, but I saw this car in the autotrader a little while back and had sent the guy selling it numerous emails about the car with no reply (never mentioning purchase price) and was wondering what you purchased the car for. This could help me with my future purchase!

Thanks!

Crom

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations on your new purchase. The car looks great.

The pedal adjustment only controls the gas and break pedals. If you want to lower the height of the clutch pedal go to roeracing.com and buy the clutch pedal linkage kit which really helped me get comfortable clutch placement.

Enjoy!

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Klayfish, CONGRATS on an awesome Viper...looks fantastic! Best of luck!!!

Where is Pennsburg, Pa?

Dave

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've only driven my GTS about 200 miles, and I don't know if I could ever get used to the pedal positioning. It's almost like you sit facing the driver's door :)

Mike M

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nice Viper! The pedal setup does take time to get use to. You can also individually adjust each pedal by taken the cam knob off. There are direction on this forum on how to. I did this and raised the clutch all the way to the top and adjusted the gas pedal to where the clutch grabs, then raised the break pedal a little higher than the gas.

Also, if your gas pedal raddled, it is the cam plate the gas pedal is attached to. I wedged a piece of foam between the cam and the metal part of the pedal to fix the problem.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great pick. Black GTS looks like pure evil on the highway.
7328JEFF01_copy1-med.jpg

7328JEFF021-med.jpg

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Beuitiful car Steve. Thanks for the kind words. The timing was bad. But if you ever need me for a transport let me know. I'll make it happen for the right price and with the right care that Vipers deserve. My Black and Silver 8,600 mile 99 GTS is still for sale as well.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats! The pedal setup is definitely, um....different. Doesn't matter though, it's still a blast to drive, ain't it? ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4