Clutch & Flywheel Damage - Need Advise

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the dealer replace the oil pan gasket to fix a minor leak, one of the oil pan bolts came out (wasn't torqued properly) at the back of the oil pan. This was several months after the oil pan fix. At about 35 mph I heard a sudden loud metal to metal noise and thought it was a bearing failure. Stopped and opened the hood and the noise was coming from the back of the motor not the alternator or water pump like I was thinking. The metal to metal noise was still going on so I got back in and stepped on the clutch and the noise stopped. No more noise. Last week I had the oil changed and the first thing we saw after we got it on the lift was a bolt hanging down at the clutch/flywheel inspection cover, and one bolt was missing from the oil pan directly above. The bolt was bent and chewed up. After removing the sheet metal inspection cover, the clutch and flywheel have superficial damage from the bolt. Do you think the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced?? I would describe the visible damage as heavy scratches to light gouges at the OD of the clutch and flywheel. I really hate to let the dealer do the major surgery to replace the damage, so need some advise. I don't want to "blow" the clutch but I don't want to replace the parts unless you guys think it is the thing to do.

Thanks in advance.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Tom we'd need to see pics...

the flywheel being a lot harder probably is ok, and could be resurfaced.

The clutch disk is easier to damage, but then again I am just theorizing, I'd have to see it.

Is the clutch soaked in Oil? that could be another reason for replacement. The oil will damage the material.

In a sentence, I would just tell you to go with your mechanic's advice if you trust him. And no need to go back to the dealer, anybody can change a clutch.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clutch replacement isnt that big of a deal honestly. I would say "even they couldnt screw that up" but since they had trouble doing something as simple as using a torque wrench to make sure they had the right torque on the bolts... I'll refrain from saying it.

anyways, I'm sure the clutch is fine, but if you have higher milage on the clutch and it will need to be replaced sooner or later, might as well make those morons replace and pay for it when they reinstall those missing bolts and hopefully do the job right this time.

Jon

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also guess that the clutch and flywheel are ok..maybe ugly but fully functional.

If you do end up taking it apart look close at bell houseing, make sure it isn't cracked. I've seen loose bolts and dowel pins put holes in aluminum bell houseings.

Sounds like yours just got stuck and didn't actually bounce around inside...so your most likely ok.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tough issue , but since the Dealer made the error what have they said they would do? Key reason, is the clutch is not covered under warranty and if it does go out in the near future, will they just tell you sorry warranty/or service contracts don't cover clutchs. Since you are trying to be very reasonable in the situation, they should reciprocate, and maybe put something in writing to protect you if damage did occur, since it was their error. Hope it works out, and in all likelyhood there is not damage.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper

OP
OP
S

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zorro,
I did not get the word choice correct. The pressure plate OD and flywheel OD were dinghed, not the clutch. No oil excaped so the clutch is dry. Everything seems to be working fine so I will go back to the dealer and have them replace the oil pan bolt that came out and inspect the pressure plate and flywheel. My guess is they are will be OK with the surface scratches. Thanks for your reply.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4