Break-in and attempted Viper theft update

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made this Post several weeks ago -

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=694462&Forum=All_Forums&Words=10982&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=694399&Search=true#Post694462

I was wrong to consider a biker gang related issue, but Ontario has it's share of them, that's why I considered that assumption, such as -

http://www.autonet.ca/AutonetStories/Stories.cfm?StoryID=11603

2 times I noticed a ricer car with a 20 year old staring at our house and around it slowing down, big wing, custom paint, white & blue, dubs, the whole deal. Several weeks ago, he didn't see me until the last minute standing in our driveway. I told the wifey, what the heck is he staring at? Our Viper and Corvette (my woman works at GM.. sorry) was in the garage.

He did it again last weekend. I jumped in my car and decided to follow him, he took off, must have been going 100 mph +, because of the rolling hills and being a mile from me, I lost him. I must have missed him turn into their driveway because of the hills, blowing by their place about 130+ with the Viper attempting to catch up when he ran, no other cars were on the road, so I let'er rip. It's out in the country, not many houses around. I then later scoured the area, and found his Acura at a backyard pole barn. They were painting up ricer cars, bling bling stuff, out of the ordinary for this country area. I pulled up in their drive and jotted down his plate.

I reported this yesterday, just a suspicion, that's all. They indicated the owner is a convicted felon, jail for dealing drugs too, but due to privacy, no personal details. The Police stopped in at our home this morning and woke me up, 2 cop cars. They found the place vacant. The landlord who rents the place said the tenants cleared the shop and house at night and disapeared a day after I chased the guy last weekend. Coincidence?

I just moved up here, I only had the Viper here for 4 days before they broke into our garage and messed up my steering column, out on a Saturday in the drive for a few hours exposed. These guys use our road to get to their shop, 5 minutes from our house. It is a very nice area, rolling hills, executive neighborhoods, golf courses, etc.. outside of Toronto.

Other than that, you can see in my cow post, car is fixed, and now we are just enjoying the new area. that's it, just an update if interested. My wife is now calling me - Nancy Drew. LOL, I'd prefer Matlock, well.. maybe not. I'm just paranoid!
Mike

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Probably a chop shop. Too bad they didn't get them. Also, unfortunate that a "convicted felon" is even out on the streets. It's bad enough in the US, however, I would think punishment for crime in liberal Canada is even more lacking. Any convicted felons should spend life in prison or be executed no matter the felony.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that IS good news, kind-of. they are now gone and have no address. they on the other hand, still have YOUR address.

i would stay alert, and not let your guard down just yet.

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you. I now have a alarm setup, cameras, etc.. Crazy stuff, never expected it. Now I just need to get back into the regular schedule of enjoying this area and everything as it was before the incident.. shake it off & go burn some rubber.

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garages have no windows (more wall space for picytures), and only garage doors ( elecltronically disabled when not home) and only one 36" door leadind to house from four car garage.

At night I depend on a sweet female brown Pit Bull trained to take orders on German , to search , hold, or at last resort to attack by locking her jaws ond the perpetrators crotch. FURY is her name dark brown w/ black eyes.

FURY is backed up by my .44 Magnum with laser to assist with quick shots.

I also have night vision goggles and a .308 with a heat seeker that will pick out a rabbit at 100 yards

I live in a rural setting with a 3/4 acre pond in front with and tasteful" no trespassing " signs at the driveway entrance, 300 feet down the driveway a sign near a pine tree
"What part of no did you not understand." Finally between two of the garage doors"Unauthorized Tresspassers will be shot"

Backup is 24/7 closed circuit vision system on all entrances.I WAS BROKEN INTO 6 YEARS AGO (THROUGH A GARAGE WINDOW WHICH WAS REMOVED) and TOLD THE MICHIGAN STATE POLICE AND SHERIFF DEPARTMENT , " If there ever is a next time, they will not leave without injuries" The State Police
explained the guidelines of ensuring I am not charged.

The word has gotten around and Fury has placed well in some K-9 Attack competitions.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you dont have it, get lojack installed

www.lojack.com

the signal from lojack will help the police find the car that is, if the police in your city support lojack many do. not only will lojack help get your car back as soon as you report it stolen, it will help arrest whoever is in the house or shop near your car when its retrived.

http://www.lojack.com/why/index.cfm

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, I have Lexus Link option which allows GPS tracking within 5 feet plus features such as built in cell,assistance if you breakdown and calling emergency personel if air bags are deployed and you cannot respond.
Wish more OEM's offered it.

Viper and Firebird do have LoJack.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad all is working out in the end..

I was broken into by someone jimmying the garage's small back entry door. I fixed that by drilling a couple 1/2" holes horizontally through the surrounding framework so I slide a couple thick steel rods into the framework and deep into the door making it all but impossible to open the door w/o taking down the wall in the process.

Something stuck into the garage door roller track on each side will stop it from going up when you don't want it to...

- Must be some quick little thing that can be done at night in the underhood side of a Viper to make actually driving it away impossible.

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We think alike :2tu:

I drilled a couple holes in the garage door track, couple bolts with wing nuts.

Within 2 minutes w/a 1/2" box end wrench I can remove the steering shaft coupler. Simply remove the bolts and slide the coupler off. No splines to worry about lining up the wheel afterwards. You can only install it at a 180 degree position due to the shaft design. Once the coupler is off and hidden elsewhere the steering wheel just spins freely. Good luck driving it. Here's a pic with the bolts removed.

You must be registered for see images

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to some of the security measures mentioned, I have a wireless driveway alarm that lets me know when someone comes in my driveway. I have had a couple of strange incidents with cars stopping in front, etc. and a brazen one late Sunday night a few weeks ago with 2 cars parked at the end of my driveway about 600' from my house. I don't think they will be back, they got the message.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar488 - Great idea. Stops them up front. Also consider a motion detector to turn on a spotlight as well. Worked for me many years ago.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garages have no windows (more wall space for picytures), and only garage doors ( elecltronically disabled when not home) and only one 36" door leadind to house from four car garage.

At night I depend on a sweet female brown Pit Bull trained to take orders on German , to search , hold, or at last resort to attack by locking her jaws ond the perpetrators crotch. FURY is her name dark brown w/ black eyes.

FURY is backed up by my .44 Magnum with laser to assist with quick shots.

I also have night vision goggles and a .308 with a heat seeker that will pick out a rabbit at 100 yards

I live in a rural setting with a 3/4 acre pond in front with and tasteful" no trespassing " signs at the driveway entrance, 300 feet down the driveway a sign near a pine tree
"What part of no did you not understand." Finally between two of the garage doors"Unauthorized Tresspassers will be shot"

Backup is 24/7 closed circuit vision system on all entrances.I WAS BROKEN INTO 6 YEARS AGO (THROUGH A GARAGE WINDOW WHICH WAS REMOVED) and TOLD THE MICHIGAN STATE POLICE AND SHERIFF DEPARTMENT , " If there ever is a next time, they will not leave without injuries" The State Police
explained the guidelines of ensuring I am not charged.

The word has gotten around and Fury has placed well in some K-9 Attack competitions.
Haha THATS what i call home security. I pity the fool who breaks into your house because he would have a rude awakening lol

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job Mike. getting involved and calling the cops.
Biggest problems the cops have in preventing a crimes is know body wants to get involved.
Sounds like you may have solved your own problem. Lets hope.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree to definitly keep an eye on your house and garage. But, it sounds like Fury and your .44 would do a great job if someone did try to rob you :2tu:

They don't let you have guns in Canada, but they welcome any draft dodger and AWOL cowards from the US. :rolleyes: :usa:

How I wish the story ended with guys in handcuffs, 5 minutes after you beat the living carp outta them with a tire iron. :2tu: