never ending questions.....

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
* What oil do the guys with paxtons use ? 0w40 Mobile 1 ?

* Ive asked about the rear in my car a few times but one more time and I wont ask again...cruising down the hiway at moderate speed when letting of the accelerator it makes a fairly loud whine. Touch the accelerator and its gone , just like the gears were not lashed right. The whine can be heard over the radio set on #20 volume. Does anyone else have this?

* Is there anyone on here from the State College (Penn State) area ? I would like to check out and compare another viper but there just doesnt seem to be any around here. That might shut me up about the noises and stuff, lol.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used several oils to date. Started with 10w30 Mobil 1 and used 15w50 when track use was planned. This year I switched to 0w40 Mobil 1 during non-track periods.

No whine during a cruise. I can hear the drive gears when idling or when under the hood. The predominant noise is a whistle from the airflow at idle and off idle. Lets the nearby cars and passers by know that something is under there. No noticeable noise at cruise. Course I have Mopar race exhaust which may drown out some noise.

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To check out other SRTs, you might consider cruising over to Erie, Pa on August 19 for the 4th annual Quaker Steak and Lube Viper gathering, beginning at 11am. Vipers from Ohio, New York, PA and Canada will be there, and you can check mine out if you wish.

OP
OP
W

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks cc I will check it out.

GR8 the whine I hear is deffinately from the rearend it doesnt make any noise at idle (just the SC). When I touch the accelerator pedal its gone and let off its there but only when Im going down the road.
Brian

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I put the 3.55 gears in my 99 GTS, it had a whine under deceleration - kind of like a big truck. I talked to my mechanic (Ken Klickman @ timerline dodge) and he told me that there was going to be some whine but he could "adjust" under what conditions it happened (decelleration, idle or acceleration).

I had him adjust it so the whine tracked with my acceleration. So much other noise going on then that I don't notice it.

I REALLY noticed it when I first got the car back.

Big thanks to Timberline for taking care of us!

j

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth