Took my car out in the rain

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, when I got up at 5:eek:o this morning it was raining ( ok, I'm from SoCal, so to everyone else there was a light mist in the air ) took my Viper out for a cruise ( while the roads were empty ) and got it up to 135 on an open straight strech ( I was little miffed about " the rain " so I didn't want to take any higher)WOW these cars just get better the faster you go .So now that I'm home I get to enjoy polishing my car today ( kind of like a horse, you don't want to ride hard and put it up wet).
:nana:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i try like heck NOT to drive in any rain at al. it happene this spring when i took it for the clear bra..it wasnt fun.

i point the car and hope it goes where i want it to

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in all kinds of rain more times than I can count. Some late fall/early spring snowstorms as well. That's because we do a lot of traveling. Weather has never stopped us from a planned trip. The rules of hydroplaning apply to all cars. If there is actual water on the road surface, and you're going 135 MPH -- the eventual end result will be a fool and his Viper will soon be parted.......hopefully not killing anyone else in the process. For a Viper to go 135, the roads should be bone dry--even a mist reduces your margin of error. You just don't have the same adhesion to the surface.

Steve

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '99 RT/10 has never seen a drop of rain and never will. Well, maybe if I open the garage door and it is raining out and it sees it raining in the driveway from its cozy, dry place in the garage :) . Hydroplaning will never be an issue with my baby.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not smart. I can just the next post about you...

Viper Owner Dead Due to Rain - Speeds in excess of 100mph.
Viper Community Saddened, but not feeling much sympathy.

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've raced in the rain more times than I can remember,I'm a retired racer ( thats why I bought a Viper) the trick is to stay out of the black ( the line ) and don't worry I know better than to try it without prior experience. But thanks for the concern. Rain or shine I'm ridin....
:eek:

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've raced in the rain more times than I can remember,I'm a retired racer ( thats why I bought a Viper) the trick is to stay out of the black ( the line ) and don't worry I know better than to try it without prior experience. But thanks for the concern. Rain or shine I'm ridin....
:eek:

Right now you are alive to say that.

That could be on your headstone.

Good Luck cheating death times two (speed + rain + enough water on road to hydroplane out of control)

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's light rain that does you in. I'm glad you know enough to stay off the line, but heavy rains wash away the oils, a light rain makes a nice layer of oil on water. Can happen way off line in a place that doesn't see much rain, like SoCal.

Most racers I've heard about have way more respect for the road -- even fear it, where they don't flinch on the track -- to do 135 in civilian gear with other traffic. The track is predictable, real life is not. Forget about it being wet. Not even a question.

I'm glad you had a good experience and had fun on your drive. I'm not sure, though, what the point of your post was. You get up at 5? You live in SoCal? You're not letting any damn rain get the best of you? You drive fast? Live dangerously? OK, congratulations.