Stupid Question: How do the side sills go back on?

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like a major incompetent idiot, but I've tried all day to get the side sills back on with no luck. I can get them over the rail closest to the hood, but can't get the rear of the sill to go over the rail. It looks like there is only about 1/4" or less of space for the top of the side sill to go in. I just had mine painted last week, due to paint blisters from the heat. I made sure(hopefully) that the heat shields were in the same location and were all flatened out so they could go around the pipes with no issues. Is it possible they have too much paint on them to clear the rail? I've searched and searched this forum, and it looks like I'm the only person to have this problem. Seems like everyone elses side sills slide right back into place. Any tricks or hints? :(

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall it being very natural as to where they fit when being re-installed. I would think the front would help you. If you look right under the computer on the driver's side you will see the holes where the installation screws go. Given the position of those the rear shoudl follow naturally. If your heat shield have separated from the painted sill you could slip them over the exhaust first then work with the sill separately so the combination of the two does not steer you the wrong way.

P.S. I have felt like a major incompetent idiot quite a few times during the last month of working on my car!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you have them off I would coat the inside of them with some reflective paint.

They can be kind of a pain to put on sometimes. Walk away, go to lunch, come back and try again.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like a major incompetent idiot, but I've tried all day to get the side sills back on with no luck. I can get them over the rail closest to the hood, but can't get the rear of the sill to go over the rail. It looks like there is only about 1/4" or less of space for the top of the side sill to go in. I just had mine painted last week, due to paint blisters from the heat. I made sure(hopefully) that the heat shields were in the same location and were all flatened out so they could go around the pipes with no issues. Is it possible they have too much paint on them to clear the rail? I've searched and searched this forum, and it looks like I'm the only person to have this problem. Seems like everyone elses side sills slide right back into place. Any tricks or hints? :(

I had trouble getting mine back on in the same spot. Placed a flat head screw driver in the rail and opened it up just a bit, it went right on after that.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found it easier to start at front. Top first, then pull down slightly and "peel" it open just enough as you go towards the rear. Make sure the insulation is not jamming the install.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I had issues with the sill not following the track(rail) all the way under the quarter panel. Drove me mad because you cant really see under while trying to force it in - it allowed me to put screws in the front top holes and the front bottom. Flex it around a bit and it should eventually snap into place.

PS - if you plan to remove the sill at all in the future you might want to take advantage of them being off to do a rivit nut install. Cost me about $40 to get it professional done and it makes tighting the sills a breeze.

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news and bad news.

Good news is that I managed to get the passenger side sill on after I did what Viper John did. I put a flat blade screwdriver in and opened the rail up just a bit. I got the sill lined up and then popped it right in. Screw holes were all aligned. :)

Bad news is that I managed to scratch the front top of the drivers side sill after trying to man-handle it into position. :( I got frustrated because I tried everything mentioned here, and still no luck. I know it has to do with the insulation. I took the insulation out and the side sill went on with little effort. I then put the insulation around the exhaust and tried placing the sill over the insulation/exhaust. No luck. I then flattened the insulation out a little bit and put it back in the side sill. I figure it has to be hitting something. I repositioned the exhaust clamps, still no luck. :(

I'm going to try and grab a friend to help out later this week when I have more time. I think if I have someone to hold the front in place(to keep the damn thing from popping out and getting more scratched up), then I can work the back in. Thanks for all the advice.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time is the hardest. Good idea to get a friend to help. Regarding scratches, try 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, with a dab of P21S Multi-surface Finish Restorer. Unless you've gouged the sill, this will take out the scratches.

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like mentioned above, I put the front side on first. I put on the 1st screw in the front to keep it on and then wrestled the rear of it on.

Alex

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R