CLUTCH NOISE - NEED ADVISE

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed a slight, but still noticable, rattle kind of a noise when the clutch is engaged which is most of the time. Admittedly is is slight but I can still hear it. When you push in on the clutch pedal the noise goes away. The dealer replaced the throw out bearing assembly yesterday thinking that a dry bearing might be the cause of the noise. On the way home the rattle noise was still there. Push in on the clutch pedal and the noise stops immediately.

Does anyone else hear this on their car? Other ideas to try next? I thought about headers and a race exhaust so I could not hear anything, but would like to fix the real problem first!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact same thing on mine, when idling with the clutch depressed it goes away, let the clutch out and you can hear a faint "rattling" for lack of a better term, you can also hear it when you are coasting along in gear. I don't think it is anything to worry about, there is a whole lot of stuff moving around right underneath you when everything is engaged. I now have 5600 miles on mine and it hasn't changed one way or the other since new. I intend to drive it...and if something falls out it should be relatively easy to figure out what it was ;)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your problem is being caused by the engine and not the clutch. Your viper engine is an odd firing engine so it runs unevenly at idle. This makes a slight rattling noise. If you switch to Royal Purple oils and lubes your problem will go away.

Robbie

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Your problem is being caused by the engine and not the clutch. Your viper engine is an odd firing engine so it runs unevenly at idle. This makes a slight rattling noise. If you switch to Royal Purple oils and lubes your problem will go away.

Robbie

[******]!!??? Here we go again pulling answers outta your @$$!!

How is "Royal Blue" or any other engine oil going to quiet a noise from the transmission??? He clearly states that the noise goes away when pressing the clutch. That is a tranny noise, period.

In fact, I'd still say it is the clutch bearing. I cannot say anything else without taking it apart, but if it is not too loud and it was just inspected I'd say live with it. Have you always had this noise?? Because the tranny is pretty noisy as is, this is not your average manual car...

Or you may buy a Pine Scented air freshner and it may be the solution... right Robbie?? :bonker:

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does the same, so did my 97 gts. I was told it is neutral gear rattle, something in the design of the trans. That makes sense to me, depressing the clutch will slow or stop the trans mainshaft and quiet it down. It is a little annoying, but doesn't seem to affect anything as far as reliability and so on. I haven't been in a ton of vipers, but a few, and they all did this.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper engine has quite a bit of low end torque, extraordinary for a gas engine, similar to a diesel engine at idle. Typical diesel trucks with a manual transmission require a dual mass flywheel to absorb the vibration (2 piece LUK flywheel w/springs) in order to be quiet at idle in neutral. The springs on your clutch disc are there for a similar reason, to absorb the axial pulsations and action on a hard shift, in such that it reduces stress on your transmission. The rattle at idle I would say is nothing to be concerned about, the clutch disc is absorbing the vibration and it may make a little noise, and may rattle the gears a bit in neutral.

Some opt to swap the dual mass flywheel for a solid conventional flywheel out of diesel trucks and go with the conventional design w/ springs in the clutch disc for strength and reliability, yet they encounter quite a bit of resultant rattle at idle and in neutral (what you are encountering in your Viper), and need to reprogram the ECM and increase the idle up a couple hundred rpm to reduce the low end vibration / rattle (increasing the pulse frequency to reduce rattle). DMFs do not have springs in the clutch disc.

Porsche used a DMF way back to absorb these vibrations (especially with less number of cylinders = lower frequency of pulsations). DMFs don't seem to be reliable with excessive torque, the springs are designed for a specific compression rate, and the diesel guys like myself who crave more torque end up abusing the DMF springs to destruction (due to the high flywheel inertia bouncing around). Most conventional clutch designs incorporate the springs in the clutch disc to absorb this vibration. A little bit of rattle is better than a DMF.

That's what it is, and what it is.. is just an opinion. :2tu:

Edit: Here's a couple pics to describe a DMF vs Conventional, not that anyone asked for this excessive babbling.. I'm just bored at the moment and my wife is at work.

This pic below is a DMF flywheel, hard to see, but it is 2 piece, the springs are inside, the DMF clutch disc below this image has no springs. The bottom image is a typical Viper clutch assembly, notice the springs in the clutch disc, and the Viper flywheel is solid as most are used to working with (not shown).

You must be registered for see images

It would be safe to suggest it has nothing to do with oil or odd firing. Don't worry about it, enjoy the V10 torque pulsations and melt your tires. :2tu:

FloridaInvestor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goodmorning,

I have the exact same 'rattling' noise. I notice it in idle. Sounds like marbles gingling. They replaced the throw out bearing but the noise is still there. Evidently it is pretty normal and common. It doesn't have any effect on the car...I just ignore it.

-Omar

03 SRT-10

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NGR is a normal Viper behavioral trait. When the car is new and the transmission fluid is new, it is not as noticeable. As the transmission fluid and the car break in, NGR becomes more noticeable at idle. Read your owner's manual, use the search function on this site and enjoy.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2003 viper. I changed over to Royal Purple Engine Oil, Transmission Lub, and Diff Lube as noted below at 6000 miles. The problem went away right away. I have 15,000 miles on the car now and it has never chattered after installing Royal Purple Lubricants.

2003 SRT-10 Viper ( check with Royal Purple for your year )

ROYAL PURPLE 01130, 10W30, MOTOR OIL ENGINE OIL, 10 QTS
ROYAL PURPLE 01301, 75W140, MAX-GEAR DIFF OIL, 2 QTS
ROYAL PURPLE 01512, SYNCHROMAX TRANSMISSION, 3 QTS

Web Site: http://www.royalpurple.com/

Robbie

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie said: Use Royal Purple Synchromax synthetic transmission oil. The chart on the Royal Purple site says: Viper 1994 - up, 75W85 GL-4 PN 04874459, Max-Gear® 75W90. Please explain the descrepency between the information in your post and the data on the Royal Purple site. Based on the information on the Royal Purple site and the description of the two products, it appears that you are using the incorrect Royal Purple product for your Viper.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Tremct T-56 trans in our Vipers takes 4 quarts, not 3.

The factory fill is Castrol Syntorq. If you don't use the factory fill, you may void your warranty. This product is very heat resistant, but you should change it regularly.

Hearing some gear noise is normal in these cars. You are sitting right next to the trans.

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:

"Robbie said: Use Royal Purple Synchromax synthetic transmission oil. The chart on the Royal Purple site says: Viper 1994 - up, 75W85 GL-4 PN 04874459, Max-Gear® 75W90. Please explain the descrepency between the information in your post and the data on the Royal Purple site. Based on the information on the Royal Purple site and the description of the two products, it appears that you are using the incorrect Royal Purple product for your Viper. "

Bob,

You are quite correct as to what the Royal Purple web site and catalog says. I called Royal Purple and they told me not to use Max-gear 75W90 gear lube in the transmission after I told them the factory fill was Castrol Syntorq. They claimed the crossover was wrong and that they would correct it in the future. They said to use Synchromax which is the Royal Purple replacement for the Castrol Syntorq, that Viper X noted in his post above. As far as how many quarts to use I was not able to put in more than 3 quarts, in the transmission, and the quarts that I listed above were what my 2003 took in which was on a lift and left draining over night. Please note that different year SRT Vipers use different weight engine oil. As we speak I have changed over to 5W-20 Royal Purple engine oil with no drop in oil pressure. I have also noted a lower temperture on the oil temp gauge from this change.

Everyone has to do what they believe is best for them. I started using Royal Purple products back in 1986 in my NASCAR Modified, Late Model, and Pro Stock. We never had an engine failure therefor I use it in all my cars, boats, and bikes. But like I said before, everyone has to do what they believe is best for them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala