Interior swap in progress

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interior swap!,My buddy is in the middle of swapping out my interior for me so i thought i'd share some pics. Out with the old UGLY cognac and in with the sleak BLACK interior pieces!
You must be registered for see images

It's coming along nicely! I can't wait till it's finished. I will post more pics as we progress!

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys need to get a garage or at least a driveway. Someone is going to take off your door working in the street. :p Kidding, should look great when it's done. How do I find friends that will wrench on my car when I'm working?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're swapping out the beautiful rare $750 option Cognac Connolley leather interior with the all-leather seats for stock black vinyl ones??? <sigh>

OTOH (on the other hand...she had a wart - haha), there apparently were only 116 black '99 RT/10 Vipers with the Cognac Connolley leather interior made. Now there is one less, which raises the value of mine ever so slightly. ;) The company that made them has gone out of business, making this even more rare.

I thought from your thread back in January that you'd decided to keep the Cognac and that it was in great shape.

Swapping Cognac Interior with Black

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cognac interior is so much classier, better contrast then just plan black interior especially on a black viper, its much rarier too, your crazy..

Whatever makes you happy go for it

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cognac interior is so much classier, better contrast then just plan black interior especially on a black viper, its much rarier too, your crazy..

Whatever makes you happy go for it
In my eyes, cognac interior looks like baby puke. I cannot stand the way it looks. I was embarassed to have my top off, i don't know, its just not a color for me. BUt i will agree in some cars it looks classy but not in my Viper. I'm not a cognac type of guy!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're swapping out the beautiful rare $750 option Cognac Connolley leather interior with the all-leather seats for stock black vinyl ones??? <sigh>

OTOH (on the other hand...she had a wart - haha), there apparently were only 116 black '99 RT/10 Vipers with the Cognac Connolley leather interior made. Now there is one less, which raises the value of mine ever so slightly. ;) The company that made them has gone out of business, making this even more rare.

I thought from your thread back in January that you'd decided to keep the Cognac and that it was in great shape.

Swapping Cognac Interior with Black
but then i decided i didn't care about how much my baby was worth to someone else, because i'm never planning on selling it. Cognac just ins't for me! PLUS its getting worn out looking so i've decided to make it like i want it!
Now theres only 115 left :2tu:

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres some more progress pics, the swap to black is almost complete.

http://xs305.xs.to/xs305/06346/viperinterior14.jpg[/img]

Only a few more things and she will be done, door panels, steering wheel, and dye the e-brake handle. The clean it all up!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JUCD, I'm with you on this one. Never really cared for the tri-color viper (black with silver with cognac). I think the Batmobile had a similar problem being tri-colored and I believe Bat also ripped out his interior which gave Bat one of the nicest looking Gen 2's on this board. Black interior was a good choice.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see what you mean by "worn out". The steering wheel leather looks awful. Glad you're happy with it. Looks good! :2tu:
Well the other interior pieces were no where near as bad as the steering wheel. The car only has 24,ooo miles on it and the steering wheel wear looks like about 100,000 worth lol. Maybe the previous owner was scared and gripped the wheel really tight all the time? :confused:
Just recieved the black steering wheel today!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD, I'm with you on this one. Never really cared for the tri-color viper (black with silver with cognac). I think the Batmobile had a similar problem being tri-colored and I believe Bat also ripped out his interior which gave Bat one of the nicest looking Gen 2's on this board. Black interior was a good choice.
Yah it just wasent qworking for me. So i had to swap to black and i LOVE the way it looks now!!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how hard is it to replace the steering wheel and ebrake handle to black?

LOOKS GOOD JIM!
Its not hard, i just didnt have the pieces until today. Were going to just SEM DYE the e-brake handle. The new steering wheel came in the mail today, so it will all be on and finished shortly!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD, if it were my car, I would have done the same thing. I'm not a fan of the cognac.
Thanks, I just couldn't stand the cognac any longer. I mean it looks ok on some cars but it just dosent suit me. I wish i would have done this swap a long time ago lol!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD - Some of the "in progress" pictures looked kind of bad (hate to see the disassembled car). The car shaped up nicely however. Personally, I like the black. Matches the exterior of the car. You will have to vacuum it all the time to keep white lint out, but it will look great for years to come.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD - Some of the "in progress" pictures looked kind of bad (hate to see the disassembled car). The car shaped up nicely however. Personally, I like the black. Matches the exterior of the car. You will have to vacuum it all the time to keep white lint out, but it will look great for years to come.
What do you mean looked kind of bad? Are you talking underneath everything, how the car looks?
yah it did come tofether nicely, everything matched up perfectly. it should be done in a day or so, don't worry i'll keep it vaccumed lol!
I have a spare set of carpet also just in case this one ever gets to dirty!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looked like TONS of work still to be completed. I would have expected it to be easier. One of those jobs where you get into the middle of it and say, dang, this is going to take some time. Not making a disparaging comment about your car at all. Just the amount of work that was needed to pull it off. Impressive outcome.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i see what your saying. Yah its alot more than what meets the eye, nothing to complicated just more than what you would expect by looking at it. I.E removing panels, replacing carpet BEHIND the seats, things like that.
Right now all thats left to do is..
Put the driver and pass door panel and speakers back in
Hook the amp back up
swap steering wheels
SEM Dye the e-brake handle
The basically clean the whole interior, armor all everything and vacuum and she will be all done!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More progress pics...still have to install the steering wheel and dye the e-brake handle. Doors are on now and lookin good!

Were almost done, only a few more things to do and it will be complete!!!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking good!! I agree, I am not a fan of the cognac at all either. :( Even though I don't think it was as bad as the Gen I stock tan color. I think the Gen I tan is the worst interior color ever.

I changed mine out two years ago, and while it was a lot of work it was not that bad and well worth it. :2tu:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really don't like Gen I tan? I think it looks pretty good. Not as nice as the custom stuff that you do, but not bad to me.

If it looks good on any color it would be the Green Gen I's. Not a fan of it in the yellow or Red. That is just my taste. Like JUCD Viper, I had people that liked it and told me to keep it.