Need advice on Woodward Dream Cruise

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the deal-

This is my first time going to the Woodward Dream Cruise. Saturday is the day I will be there (plan to stay the entire day). Mainly going as a spectator, as I will not be bringing the Viper. My goal is to see/hear as many cool cars as possible.

1.) How bad is traffic coming into Detroit - From East (say mid-day)?

2.) What is a good time to arrive?

3.) Where the heck should I go? Is there a good lot to park at and spectate?

4.) Is there a parade at any point in the day? What should I expect at this event?

5.) Smart items to bring - flolding chair, cooler, etc... ?

6.) Any must see's.

7.) Any lots where Viper or other exotics meet up?

8.) Any schedule of events?

9.) What should I expect?

As you can see, I am clueless. Any insight will be appreciated.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) How bad is traffic coming into Detroit - From East (say mid-day)? Not sure it shouldn't be too bad until you get close to Woodward.

2.) What is a good time to arrive? Anytime before 11am it should still be fairly sane. After noon it is crazy crowded. I suggest getting there before 10 am to get a prime spot.

3.) Where the heck should I go? Is there a good lot to park at and spectate? A good spot is somewhere around Maple (15 mile rd). It's close to the action and there's a lot of places to eat within walking distance.

4.) Is there a parade at any point in the day? What should I expect at this event? The cruise IS the parade. Expect overheated cars, cops, crowds, cops, crowds and cars... Since Detroit doesn't have the Gran Prix anymore most of the corporate budgets have been redirected to the Dream Cruise. Each year the corporations are sponsoring more and more stuff.

5.) Smart items to bring - flolding chair, cooler, etc... ? If you want to be stationary a chair and cooler would be good. However there are lots to see if you walk around. There are a lot of corporate booths, cars parked at various lots up and down WW.

6.) Any must see's. I would say anywhere between 13 and 15 mile is where the main action is. However if you want the full experience you need to start at 8 mile and work you way up to Pontiac (along 16 miles of WW)

7.) Any lots where Viper or other exotics meet up? We have a reserved lot off of 13 mile west of WW at Shrine high school. People can park their cars there and walk around. I believe the club also hangs out at the Bennigans at Square Lake.

8.) Any schedule of events? Not sure maybe the website may have some things.

9.) What should I expect? See above.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lots of cool stuff to see try to pick up a local paper from thurs or fri and get info on auto company stuff. downtown birmingham is usally full of great stuff. the cruise does go from pontiac to ferndale(approx 16 miles!) check out the information on line(search woodward dream cruise 2006)

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info. Really looking forward to the event.

One more newbie question. Once I park my car, is it really a 'walk everywhere' type deal, or do you hop in the car and drive to check out other areas? 16 miles is a long stretch, so I assume the car will be needed to see as much as possible. Like I said, I plan to stay all day.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a drive and park scenario. Drive until you see a lot with stuff that interests you and then pull in.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a walk everywhere event, to see everything(not really possible) you'll will also need(or want) to do some driving. In peak traffic areas/times driving a manual trans car is a real pain in the a$$. in past years i have had it take 2 hrs to drive less than one(1) mile