Need Opinions on a 99' GTS

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need Opinions on a 99\' GTS

http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/detail/index.html;_ylt=An59xPp7yqfwADJ5fhVcrC4FEcUF?cid=automobiles-205792832&dst=18.17&rsr=c2JyPWdhLWF0bGFudGEtZG9kZ2UtdmlwZXI-

What do you guys think?
Mods

Short Shifter
Borlas
Oil Cooler
Intake
Shift Light
Header wrap
Stereo
Seat lower
Other minor little stuff

The guy at the dealership told me the previous owner never raced it. :buttkick: not that I mind because I am going to the track within the next week if I get it.

From a viper folks opinion is this car worth 49k? I have seen several models priced at 44k, 43k with similar mileage. Thanks for the input.

BY THE WAY DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT STEALING IT I HAVE A DEPOSIT ON IT :bonker:

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Need Opinions on a 99\' GTS

Its a nice looking car and palmer dodge is great to work with, i bought my car from them. BUT, i think you could a LOT better in terms of price out there. Like you mentioned there are a few other 99 cars out there on here and ebay that are priced a lot lower.

But you have the advantage of buying the extended max care warranty from palmer with this car, as i did. Its worth every penny.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree that price is a few thousand high. I would negotiate. Dealer cars are worth a couple thousand more than private owner vehicle Vipers for lemon law protection alone not to mention possible warranty purchases. If no negotiation, I would continue to shop. At that price it will still be on the lot for a while and you won't lose it. JMHO Good luck.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Negotiate hard. Give them an offer, but lower. Let them come back to you. Do not be afraid to give them a lower number. They may surprise you.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Personally, for that kind of coin I would get the '98 on eBay with more mods and in pristine condition. Might be a few more bucks, but you are getting what looks like a brand-new Viper with a lot more goodies, albeit with 20,000 miles... ;)

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I literally bought this cars sister (funny because there are on only 26 black/silver and cognacs in 99) with 1.7RR, K&N/tubes, Borla cat-back, orignal wheels, mopar PCM and a few other things with 8600 miles delivered to my door for $46,000. I then went to my local Dodge dealership and put 5/50 Maxcare on it for $2460. So, less miles, more mods, and 5/50 for about the same as their asking price.
Negotiate a few thousand off and get it, it is the coolest color combination of all (at least to me) and enjoy running that baby!

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got mine stock with 12k miles on it pristine condition for $48k. I think i got a really good deal. Mine has black interior tho, which i prefer.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys I know to listen to the people that know. The previous owner is a member here. I have seen a few that I like. What are the differences between 98' and 99' and even 97'? I didnt know I could get the extended care warranty if I didnt buy it from the dealer.

How much is the 5 year plan? He told me 2900 was their price for it like it's a great eal or something. Is it.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what would be a good price for this car? 45?

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To me 49 K is WAYYYYYY to high for that car..I just negotiated a bone stock 99 rt10 with 27 k miles on it for 39 K out the door...A GTS of the same year as my rt10 would have been worth around 42K in my eyes...

I dont give a crap about the mods...Every dealership will try to give you less money if your car has modds when they buy it from you so i wouldnt give them one single penny more than 42 no matter what mods it had...

Honestly...2002 GTS FE's go for around 49 grand with the same mileage..Yea you see them listed for 60 grand in some cases but many of them sell for 50-53 grand...49 grand is enough to get one of them so why spend that much on a 99????

And to put it even more into perspective I have seen SRT 10's with 20 K miles sell for 49 grand with a clean title..

Their is currently a 2003 Black srt10 with silver stripes that dynoed 450 rwhp and 500 rwt SAE bone stock and now has around 20 more rwhp over stock in mods that is selling for 54K as the buy it now price...It still has two more years of warranty left.

Thats only a 5 grand diff. but you would have a FOUR YEAR newer Viper that is faster and handles better...

I chose my 99 Viper rt10 because it's all forged and for 39 K i couldnt beat the price..The 2003 SRT 10 I was looking at was 18 K more expensive...If I was looking at spending 49 K though for a gen 2 NO WAY IN HELL would I buy a 99 anything.

Tell them 43 at most.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMO i think that is a little high. I would offer 45,000. Its a nice car though and it does have some good mods!
I prefer the 99' thats why i bought a 99' RT/10. Best year for me IMO has the 18" wheels, newer interior like the 00's, the last year of forged pistons, and a lopy cam. The only thing a 02' has on a 99' is ABS brakes, but they don't have forged pistons so i went with a 99'.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3 years ago i bought my 98 GTS with 9100 miles for $ 47700 at woodhouse dodge and the car was like new and warranty work done by tator before i bought it.

call bill pemberton, he will make you a good deal and ya cant find a better dealership or guy to deal with.

V

venms96

And...I bought my 96 GTS because it's the least desired GEN II of em all !!

AskYourWife has done his homework, but you'll never get to buy that car for 43k. I wish I could find deals like he does.

The pricing stories you read on here are probably all true. Great if you can find a helluva deal somewhere. I don't think it happens everyday tho.

You like this car, is it located near you ? ( no shipping hassles, costs ) the color combo is rare, it's a 99 and everyone says it's the "best" year, (so no wonder the Dealers have the price high on the 99's !!) if it's in great shape cosmetically and no scary past history, make em a fair offer (45-47) and be done with it. But if you really want it, what's another 1k or whatever the difference is. It "appears" to be a nice car. Go for it.

Again, I think we are all being a bit unrealistic thinking 50k is way out of line for these cars. (as long as it wasn't wrecked and raced year after year) The rarity, the frame, the body style, the horsepower, the ATTENTION they get that everybody talks about on here, and then guys think the prices are always way too high. We're killin our own market giving these Muscle Cars away for 38k, etc. I see POS "classic" muscle cars that were wrecked a few times, put back together, no original engine, or original anything under the hood, no known history, and people pay the same or close to what we are paying for the Vipers. Crazy game we're in....

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well now its at $48,000 with reduced price on extended care warranty. $2900 what do you thinks about that?

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Offer them 44k. They wont take it. Let them refuse. Go back the next day. Tell them final deal 45.5k. Give them 24 hours. Don't let them "hold" your money while they try to find a better deal. Make it a cash deal for them.

They will take it, in my opinion. Only talk about warranty AFTER. Dont muck up the negotiations with warranties and the like. Agree on the car FIRST.

Again, I agree with venms96. Lots of stories out there...We are talking about real money.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah I called them on it today and actually found a red/white/black for 43k negotiable. So Im assuming at least 41k for that one even though Red isnt my fav color on a car. Im hoping for black with silver or plain black/low miles/low 40's maybe a 39. If anyone has any leads let me know.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy the Viper that you WANT don't settle for a Viper u don't want over a few grand....

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah I called them on it today and actually found a red/white/black for 43k negotiable. So Im assuming at least 41k for that one even though Red isnt my fav color on a car. Im hoping for black with silver or plain black/low miles/low 40's maybe a 39. If anyone has any leads let me know.

Red isn't usually worth as much unless it's a FE. It's the most common color. They only made like 104 black/silver in 99.

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're not going to find one for $39k unless it has high miles or is in crappy condition.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

http://[******]/classifieds/showpro...000? Quite a bit less than the other one too.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think you're going to get it for less than $45.5K. If memory serves me correct, Palmer bought this car from Atlanta Motorsports through eBay for about $44K. It had some marks on the hatch lid where a wing was once installed. It looks like they've already taken care of that. Given what they paid plus getting it ready to sell, expect that they want to make $1500 or so.

If you're interested, get in touch with Joseph Dell who is in the local area and will be glad to inspect the car for you. I had Joe look at a 2001 Sapphire GTS that Palmer had last month and I couldn't think of anybody else I'd rather have to check out a car for me. BTW - I bought the car.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think you're going to get it for less than $45.5K. If memory serves me correct, Palmer bought this car from Atlanta Motorsports through eBay for about $44K. It had some marks on the hatch lid where a wing was once installed. It looks like they've already taken care of that. Given what they paid plus getting it ready to sell, expect that they want to make $1500 or so.

If you're interested, get in touch with Joseph Dell who is in the local area and will be glad to inspect the car for you. I had Joe look at a 2001 Sapphire GTS that Palmer had last month and I couldn't think of anybody else I'd rather have to check out a car for me. BTW - I bought the car.
Dude I sat in your car. It's in the showroom there (dont worry its well taken care of) They were telling me about you and the car. Car is gorgeous by the way and good luck building that garage.

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I paid $54k for mine a few months ago :-(

It had 19K miles on it, was the right color combo and was local to me.

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Get the color combo you want. Don't settle. If a car is advertised as cheap, it probably has a history.

I purchased my car from Palmer Dodge and had a good experience with them. I was able to get in touch with the previous owner of the car I bought, so I knew to the penny how much Palmer paid for the car. They weren't too happy that I found out, but that saved me thousands. Good luck with your search.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To me 49 K is WAYYYYYY to high for that car..I just negotiated a bone stock 99 rt10 with 27 k miles on it for 39 K out the door...A GTS of the same year as my rt10 would have been worth around 42K in my eyes...

Honestly...2002 GTS FE's go for around 49 grand with the same mileage..Yea you see them listed for 60 grand in some cases but many of them sell for 50-53 grand...49 grand is enough to get one of them so why spend that much on a 99????

02 FE's for $49k?? Tell me where, and how many of then I can buy, and I'll wire you the money.....

Comparing GTS/SRT's/RT/10's is apples/oranges... I think in the end (after the SRT'***** 5+ years old). The GTS will be worth more, even though they are older.. They are much more desirable...

Bottom line... Are you stealing the car for $49k?? No.... Are you getting ripped off?? NO... Your getting a decent buy.. If its the "right" car, and in good shape, buy it.. I had a Black/Silver 2000 with 18k miles for sale about 6mo. ago (black interior)... Good condition, but not perfect... I listed it for $50k and sold it in 5 days... So, there you go.. One thing I think that hurts this car is, the stock wheels missing.... Do they come with the car??

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there's quite a few of us that live near palmer, shoot one of us a PM and we can take a look for you.