Starting and Radio Issues

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my first dilema with the '05. It's got almost 19K miles. Now, that's because Jon told me he'd take it away if I didn't drive it (not a real big armtwisting here)!
In any case, here's the gremlin. Last week I noticed that the radio just stopped playing. Like Jon, I like to blow my hearing to oblivion and we discussed that the amp may be overheating and temporarily cutting off. The only problem is that it should have cooled and functioned. However after the following day, this weekend, it still did not make a sound other than the CD going through the motions showing track location and going to the next song but no sound.
This morning I go to try it out and the damn thing plays. I proceed to crank it up and, voila, the relay/starter (?) starts to clack away like a weak battery and on release the radio is dead again. However, it comes back on when I turn off the ignition and turn to the precrank position, but repeats the silence when I attempt to crank the car.
Now, I'm thinking, initially, that it's a battery issue, but the relay (?) chatter is too rythmic to be a weak/corroded problem. From past experiences with British and other iron, the battery gives erratic pulses if it's corrosion or weak charge.
My guess it's either a ground issue or a relay problem. I want to have a reasonable cause before I introduce the issue to Dodge Service. Anyone have a good dealer to go to in the Western North Carolina region, particularly around Hickory?
Thanks, Max

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing here on my '05 with only 831 miles? Radio goes out after 30 minutes of driving and in 831 miles of ownership, I've killed two batteries. Also, intermittent poping/static sound coming from the left door speaker.

Anyone out there knows if there's remedy for the radio problem? :confused:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My speakers make churping noises with the radio off, all the time.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

06 VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem with my 06'. Took it back to dodge and they said I blew the right door speaker. Two weeks later i bring back to install new speaker. 10 miles down the road radio kicks out and high pitch sound comes from dash tweeter. Took back again and now waiting for this "tweeter." Very frustrationg!

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it does appear that there was not enough juice. I jumped the car and it's running. I assume this may tie in to the radio problem and may also relate to your radio problem especially if they occurred around the same time you replaced your battery. I assume you're under warranty and therefore the speaker issue should be brought to the dealer's attention

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it does appear that there was not enough juice. I jumped the car and it's running. I assume this may tie in to the radio problem and may also relate to your radio problem especially if they occurred around the same time you replaced your battery. I assume you're under warranty and therefore the speaker issue should be brought to the dealer's attention

Get a new battery under warranty :) See if that fixes the problem?

I heard your son gave another equally deserving family member a viper too? himself :) ....

Jon

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, you heard right. But, the jury's still out about the "equally deserving". You just can't believe everything you read!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh