Footwell Sub box for an RT/10? Please help me.....I need measurements

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to get a FOOTWELL SUB BOX built for my footwell. I KNOW some of you have a footwell sub. Who will be nice enough to take their box out and take pics and measurements? For an 8" Sub.
I am coming home on Sept 14th and i DO NOT want to leave my car for 2 days at some audio shop, when i'll only be home for 2 weeks. So i need accurate measurements and good pics to show the builder so he can build it and have it ready for me.
Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me.
Thanks i'd REALLY appreciate it! :2tu:

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owe you this from a few months ago. I WILL do it this time... ;)

JD
If you do i will owe you BIG time. I want bass so badly but i do not want to be without my car while i'm home. 2 weeks is a short time to be home! the more time with my baby. The better !!
Thanks! I will really appreciate it! :2tu:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a quick fix, you could alway's use the 8" Bazooka. I did this for a while in mine, since I already had it from my 94 RX7.

Sounded great, just did not leave a lot of room for the passenger's feet. I could just take it out when needed though.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just uploaded pics to my gallery. Too many to post. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions about these!!!

Passenger side footwell sub box for my 99 RT/10...

JD

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph~ Thank you very much. I owe you.
I have a few questions,
1. How much bass is it really? Does it hit HARD?
2. Is your sub facing TOWARD the passengers feet, or AWAY facing towards the footwell?

Does anyone know what hits better? UPWARDS, OUTWARD or INWARD toward the footwell?
I've seen these three different styles and was wanting to know what would work better?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recomend toward the footwell from my past experiance. It will muffle more, helping to create more cabin bass, instead of it flowing out of the car and also hide any distortion. Also it will protect the sub from getting kicked in.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frog~ Thanks for the recomendation. Still not sure what way i'm going. From the pics you sent me, is yours facing towards the passengers feet? How hard does it hit?
I want some nice feeling bass, right now my RT/10 with a new Alpine headunit and all focal speakers hasvery little bass but sounds really good and clear. I'm hoping by adding this footwell sub it will complete the total sound and make me happy.
I want to feel the bass!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
w/ my unit, the speaker faces up towards the feet area. I have a grill cover which i didn't photograph but that is where the passenger puts their feet.

my 8" hits pretty hard with the top ON. w/ the top off, it is more of a bass you feel than hear. of course, that is at 80+mph on the highway.

JD

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a 6'2", 300lb friend of mine found it uncomfortable. a 5'5" woman didn't notice it was there.

If you have the MOPAR/viper floor mats in the car, the box comes out just to the top of the VIPER logo. you can see the entire logo.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a 6'2", 300lb friend of mine found it uncomfortable. a 5'5" woman didn't notice it was there.

If you have the MOPAR/viper floor mats in the car, the box comes out just to the top of the VIPER logo. you can see the entire logo.
Who built your box? I'm having a tough time finding someone near me to build it, they keep saying they need the car. I was like HELLO build it to the specs of the pics, whats so damn hard about that?
So heres some questions:
1 Who built your box?
2. How much?
3. How much was that sub?
4. Does that sub hit better then a 8W3?

Sorry for all the questions! thanks again!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this back in 2000, so I don't recall the costs. It wasn't hard... just go make friends w/ a guy at a stereo shop and he'll show you what you need re: carpet. I made the box from home-depot parts based on the specs of the sub. I bought the sub [at the time] with the smallest space requirement. .96cf, i think...

My hourly rate now is much higher now then it was back then. Yes, it is sealed.

This ain't rocket science... the physics aren't that hard. and you now have all the specs to make a box (from my pics) so just get someone to make you a trapazoid-looking contraption like mine.

Of course they want you to bring them the car... they want a perfect fit. b/c they are paid for that. Mine is pretty perfect.

It just came to me. about $400 for parts and sub. I think. or was it 280?

JD

JD

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess i have no choice but to drop the car off for 2 days to let them measure and build a box! What a pain in the butt. I'm only home for 2 weeks and i hate being without my car, i mean it can't be that hard to build a box to the specs of those pics, can it?
joseph. I'll pay you to build me one? uh huh huh? Wadda u say?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frog~ Thanks for the recomendation. Still not sure what way i'm going. From the pics you sent me, is yours facing towards the passengers feet? How hard does it hit?
I want some nice feeling bass, right now my RT/10 with a new Alpine headunit and all focal speakers hasvery little bass but sounds really good and clear. I'm hoping by adding this footwell sub it will complete the total sound and make me happy.
I want to feel the bass!

No, mine is NOT facing the passenger's feet. I directed mine towards the motor and it allowed the bass to bounce around in the footwell area between the box and footwell. Then the bass would come around the box and up towards the passanger. The passenger REALLY felt the bass hit, but I could too as the driver. It was something that a few cars in front of me would hear at a stoplight. At a car show, I could open the doors, pop in a DVD and it sounded like a showcar with a nice complete system in it. You can feel the bass indeed. Through experimenting over the years, I have found that when you face a speaker in a way it can bounce off something, weather it be a hatchback or a trunk, the bass usually sounds BETTER in the cabin of the car. When the woofer is pointing directly at you, you hear more cone movement and not as much bass.

Trust me, I have had MANY systems over the years and just had a setup with an 18" sub in my daily driven Mustang. I just went to two 12" because I blew the 18" and hit 133Db's on two 12's with a low powered 400 watt system. When it comes to feeling bass, I have done enough experiments to set something up so people hear it. I have been through many other systems throughout the years like, two-18" speaker setups, four-15's, two-15's and two-18's, four 12's, etc.... I REALLY hate how my Viper is limited, but I found a way to get the best bass for the room with my DVC 8" sub. I'm not trying to say I know everything about systems, but with the near 100 speaker enclosures I have built and all the expreiments over the years, I found how to make things work at their maximum potiental.

Here's my recient 18" setup. Notice how it is not facing the driver, but bounces around in the trunk first.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to feel the bass!

No, mine is NOT facing the passenger's feet. I directed mine towards the motor and it allowed the bass to bounce around in the footwell area between the box and footwell. Then the bass would come around the box and up towards the passanger. The passenger REALLY felt the bass hit, but I could too as the driver. It was something that a few cars in front of me would hear at a stoplight. At a car show, I could open the doors, pop in a DVD and it sounded like a showcar with a nice complete system in it. You can feel the bass indeed. Through experimenting over the years, I have found that when you face a speaker in a way it can bounce off something, weather it be a hatchback or a trunk, the bass usually sounds BETTER in the cabn of the car. When the woofer is pointing directly at you, you hear more cone movement and not as much bass.
Got it.
But i'm confused, because in the pic you showed me, the woofer was pointing towards the passenger? Is that the same little box you sent in the pics that you have now?
What sub are you running?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it.
But i'm confused, because in the pic you showed me, the woofer was pointing towards the passenger? Is that the same little box you sent in the pics that you have now?
What sub are you running?

I think the picture you saw was when I was showing how you stick the setup into the footwell. Here's how it sits in the foot well.

I'm 6ft tall in my cheezy ass shorts.

The bix is not really noticable with the door closed

Closeup shot: You can see the magnent facing the footwell area, towards the engine. The bass enters this cubby hole area, making it sound better, so by the time it gets to your ears and out of the car, it's as deep as possible with no distortion.

I was pushing 200 watts on this dual voice coil speaker and it hit! I'll sell you mine and build another one for myself later if you are interested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper