[pollstart]
[polltitle=Which car should I buy?]
[polloption=00' B/Congnac GTS]
[polloption=99' B/W GTS]
[pollstop]

my poll wont work for some reason.

00 Black GTS with Cognac Stripes

10k miles
Corsa Exhaust, K&N Air Filters, smooth tubes, high intensity head lamps, EBC green brake pads and cross drilled rotors- front and back, flip screen CD/radio, MGW control knobs, and short throw shifter

does not include BBS wheels

You must be registered for see images

99 Black GTS with White Stripes

17k miles

Short shifter
Smooth Tubes
BBS Wheels
Shift Light
Headers and Exhaust (Borla I think)
sub
3:55 gears

Cars would both be about 45k. I love the 2000 because of the low low miles should be an easy resale. The odd colored stripes I dont know if they would be good or bad for resale. The 99' has the forged internals obviously which I probably may do some modding in the future but I think they are pulling my leg about this car being raced before. I mean WTH puts a shift light and wing and doesnt race. And the interior looks a little worn for 17k miles. Majority vote in this poll will more than likely decide the outcome.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dunno...I'm not a fan of stripes in any color but since the cognac ones don't stand out as much I vote for it. If it were me I'd replace the cognac stripes with royal blue. I thought the batmobile car around here somewhere looked pretty nice.

Non-stock colors may adversely affect the resale value someday, although if you plan on keeping it for a long, long time it isn't that important.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno...I'm not a fan of stripes in any color but since the cognac ones don't stand out as much I vote for it. If it were me I'd replace the cognac stripes with royal blue. I thought the batmobile car around here somewhere looked pretty nice.

Non-stock colors may adversely affect the resale value someday, although if you plan on keeping it for a long, long time it isn't that important.

I thought the stripes would affect the value as well. I really like them though matching the interior and all. I do want stripes though.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this hood look a little too crooked to you?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Probably just not latched all the way on that side. Mine does that too if I'm not careful. There are a few good threads on how to adjust that. I need to print one of them out and tweak some things out in the garage.

Here's a link to the Blue Batmobile I was talking about with the royal blue stripes.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That blue is really nice! Im gonna request the dealer fix hood if I pick that car.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
keep in mind...the one with cognac stripes has been for ale for a long time...i saw it for sale nearly a year ago...so it looks like it will take a perfect buyer or a lesser value.

also...didn't the 2000 viper have some motor problems...and most of the problems were with the black ones...check this out before buying...

the 99 still has forged internals if you are looking to upgrade!

keep all of this in mind!!!jmho

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
based solely on looks, I would go with the black/silver, those cognac stripes are unique, but they made me vomit a little in my mouth. I personally don't care for Palmer Dodge based on word of mouth.

If those two were my choices I'd keep looking. I know Mike at Ringgold Dodge (Ringgold, GA) has a nice '02 FE that looks great and its listed in the Classified section here...

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if it is the same car... I spoke to the guy who sold it to AMS (the 2nd owner) and he told me that the entire car had been clear coated when new by the original owner. I lost interest at that point, why would anyone clearcoat a brand new car?

AMS does bid and buy a LOT from e-bay, every car I have bid on, AMS was there....

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the consensus is that I shouldnt buy either car? I am concerned about resale value at this point but that could change as mods come along. I have searched nearly every where and I want black 97-99 prefferebly 99 with low miles. Also between 40-45k. The only other color I would accept is blue/white stripes and an 01' or 02' with abs but there is no way I will find one for 40-45k. So if you guys are gonna shoot my ideas down at least help me find what I'm looking for.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question, have you seen the cognac interior personally or just in pictures? I personally did not like it even though its a VERY nice leather.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question, have you seen the cognac interior personally or just in pictures? I personally did not like it even though its a VERY nice leather.
I have the cognac interior...well not anymore since it's being torn out and black is going in the car. I HATE it, it makes me want to throw up lol looks like baby puke IMO. Although i must say the leather does feel good! But the color is horrible.

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the cognac iether, black is by far the best intereior color IMO. I love the blacl/black silver stripe... That was what I wanted, actually still do...

Anyone want to trade for a red/black/silver 02? lol

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the cognac interior...well not anymore since it's being torn out and black is going in the car. I HATE it, it makes me want to throw up lol looks like baby puke IMO. Although i must say the leather does feel good! But the color is horrible.

I think cognac looks good in only one color, red. It gives it that 80's Ferrari look. Are you selling your interior when you go black?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think cognac looks good in only one color, red. It gives it that 80's Ferrari look. Are you selling your interior when you go black?
I Dyed some of the pieces already with SEM dye and they look great (door panels&knee bolsters)
I have the center console and seats for sale, along with carpet. All of the interior is out of my car right now, except for the carpet. Were in the middle of the swap right now.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you guys are gonna shoot my ideas down at least help me find what I'm looking for.

I think we are all just trying to help you out. Honestly, if you like the looks of the cognac Viper, then that's a good one to go for, because its not going to draw a lot of interest and there are a lot of bargaining points.

Just because some of us don't like the car doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. I've seen Vipers that look horrible, at least there is a reason to the cognac stripes.

V

venms96

My pick is, neither.

You said - "So if you guys are gonna shoot my ideas down at least help me find what I'm looking for"

Guys have been posting for you for weeks now, trying to help you, etc. Why would you say something like "help me find what I'm looking for" ? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your words. Everyone, well-almost everyone, on here is helpful. We all shopped for what we wanted in a Viper, but I'm not used to seeing one guy ask for all this advice about buying a certain car. YOU have to decide. And I personally think you are rushing into a decision and not taking your time finding the right car. You just started looking as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a new adventure for you and it seems you are going way too fast.

There are lots of Vipers for sale now, and they'll be lots more in the near future. Slow down man, let the car come to you, you're spending big $$$ for this car, make sure it's the right one, but we can't pick it for you.

Just my .02

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see what a cognac Viper goes for in 10, 20, 30 years at BJ......some folks might be saying WHY in the world did I do that!
LOL!!!

Back to the advice for the original poster.......

Do ALL of your research.....then....buy what YOU like.

End of story.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Cognac interior is AWESOME. I have a 99 black/silver and the first compliment I hear after the car itself is how gorgeous the interior is. I specifically went for this interior. Plus the leather grade is far superior. Different strokes...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave