How many Vipers doing the Silver State Classic?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received my confirmation packet for this event. I will be running in the 150 mph class with my son as navigator (over my wife's objection). Two others from Washington state are also running - one in the 130 class and one in the 110 class. I am also doing the 1 mile shoot out and the 0-100-0 challenge.
Who else is running their Viper and in which classes? We can form a team to compete with the Vettes, Mustangs, etc. if there is enough interest.

Bob K :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob K - i am registered to run in the 150 mph class too. i will be doing the 1 mile top speed shootout on saturday. my buddy who is the navigator on one of the fastest offshore powerboats in the world will be my navigator. i wasn't aware of a 0-100-0 challenge. i thought that challenge was 0-200-0

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Freddy,
You were joking on the 0-200-0 challenge? That would be quite an event and would require a much longer road than is planned. It would be fun though! Let's suggest it to the planners and see what they say.

I was initially going to run my SRT Coupe but decided instead on the '96 GTS. It has the wing and splitter and hugs the road at speed, especially if it is windy like it was in '04. It might not do as well in the 0-100-0 as the SRT because of the brakes but oh well.

Bob K

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob K - i just rechecked silver states web site and you are correct. the challenge on friday is 0-100-0. the challenge at the may event was 0-200-0. anyway i won't be able to get to ely until around noon on friday so i won't be able to attend that event but i will be doin the 1 mile top speed shootout on saturday. i still have my stock 3:07 gearing in the car and the michelin pilot cup tires that i am runnin on are pretty tall so i don't expect that i will do to well in this challenge especially seeing how the static altitude of the road is at 6,500 feet above sea level. :eek: if i can get 165 mph out of the 1 mile drag race i will be happy. i have a set of 3.33 gears in my garage but i just haven't had the time to make the swap yet. next year i will be runnin those gears though. what kind of tires and gearing are you runnin?

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddy,
When I ran this event in 2004 there were cross winds up to 47 mph so they only let us do the 1/2 mile shootout. I ran it 4 times and could only get a little above 128 mph consistantly. I came in 6th place and was the fastest naturally aspirated car. The altitude sucked about 25% of the power out of the cars. The winner was a twin turbo Viper GTS and it could only manage 148 mph.

I will be running on Pilot Sport Cups also and have the stock 3.07 rear gears. With only intake and exhaust mods my car dynoed recently at 467 rwhp and 507 torq. I hope we get to run the full mile this time.

Bob K

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it goes without saying, but stay safe! :2tu:

...especially having your son along. I'd probably do the same thing, but you gotta appreciate where mom is coming from.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddy,
When I ran this event in 2004 there were cross winds up to 47 mph so they only let us do the 1/2 mile shootout. I ran it 4 times and could only get a little above 128 mph consistantly. I came in 6th place and was the fastest naturally aspirated car. The altitude sucked about 25% of the power out of the cars. The winner was a twin turbo Viper GTS and it could only manage 148 mph.

I will be running on Pilot Sport Cups also and have the stock 3.07 rear gears. With only intake and exhaust mods my car dynoed recently at 467 rwhp and 507 torq. I hope we get to run the full mile this time.

Bob K

whoa Bob! thats some pretty sobering info right there. the lack of oxygen at that altitude coupled with 50 mph cross winds just takes the wind right out of the sails. me thinks if they would have let you run it out all the way to the mile you would have hit 158 mph. hopefully the weather will cooperate this year. i know of a fella who is trailering a ford GT all the way from florida for this event. should make for some good competition this year. i just did the bonneville 100 last month with www.openroadracing.com i ran in the grandsport 1 class which had a target average speed of 130 mph over the 101 mile course (lots of turns with uphills and downhills). it was my first time doin this sort of thing and i arrived at the finish line 5.227 seconds early (i did not have a navigator). my average speed worked out to be 130.242 mph. anyway, i see that to run the silver states 90 mile course at an average speed of 150 mph that we will need to do so in 36 minutes flat. i drove the course in my truck last month and it looks like it will be a blast. i look forward to lettin it all hang out in the narrows section. the car # they have assigned to me is #377. look me up in ely on friday and we will get all the viper peeps together for a round of drinks friday night. :2tu:

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those wanting to store their cars/tow vehicles/trailers in Las Vegas for the week between the SSCC and VOI, I've posted information in the VOI.9 forum from the SSCC organizers on their arrangements to store vehicles at their host hotel, Sam's Town. If you think you might be storing vehicles there, drop me a PM with a description of your vehicle(s) and a contact phone number and I'll add you to a list I'm putting together for them.
This will be my 4th SSCC and running this time at 135.
See you in Ely!

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I`ll be in Las Vegas the week this is going on.
I will not a have the Viper with me,3 day drive from Canada.
I would love to check this out and meet some of you guys.
How far from Vegas?
Where`s a good spot?
Thanks

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The events take place in and around Ely which is a small town about ?200 miles north of Vegas (check a map). You will be able to watch the 1 mile shoot out on Saturday and the 0 - 100 - 0 challenge on Friday, but the Silver State itself is not a spectator friendly event. Unless you are a course worker (and they always need these) you must watch the start or the finish but cannot spectate along the course iteslf. I would love to have someone video tape me along the course going 165 mph but that won't happen unless I can find a course worker willing and able to do it with a video cmera which I supply. I tried this last time and he screwed up using the camera with the result that I got no video. Will try it again this time and see what happens.

Bob K

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year Viper X organized a Viper Owners' dinner at the Hotel Nevada Saturday night right after the drivers' meeting. If you make it, stay in touch and maybe we'll all try to do it again.
Some of us stay at the Prospector Hotel in Ely (775) 289-8900, one of the nicer of a limited hotel/motel selection. They offer a AAA rate of about $90/night. It fills up so make a reservation you can always cancel.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thursday CARAVAN ··leaves from Sam’s Town Hotel to Ely.
Going try to make it this and take it from their.
Good Luck :2tu:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad viper - yes in addition to the 90 mile race i am gonna do the standing mile event too. the standing mile event will be held on saturday at noon. i will be getting my car teched on friday. look for a year 2001 sapphire blue viper-acr with silver strips (car # 377) thats me. i have seen a few vidz on the net of twin turbo gallardos and they are way trick. thats gonna make for one **** ride at this event. look forward to seeing you out there :2tu:

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, you will be at 6500 ft elevation so expect to lose about 25% of your power. None-the-less I plan to run it in my '96 GTS (number 183). I will look forward to seeing you guys there.

Bob K

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad viper - yes in addition to the 90 mile race i am gonna do the standing mile event too. the standing mile event will be held on saturday at noon. i will be getting my car teched on friday. look for a year 2001 sapphire blue viper-acr with silver strips (car # 377) thats me. i have seen a few vidz on the net of twin turbo gallardos and they are way trick. thats gonna make for one **** ride at this event. look forward to seeing you out there :2tu:

Look forward to seeing you there. If you get a chance I'll
let you take the Twin turbo G for a ride.
wayne

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wayne - that sounds like fun. turbo cars are my fav. the first road race car that i ever hot rodded i did so with a intercooled turbo setup. i see that a twin turbo ford GT is gonna be doin the 1 mile shootout as well. he claims to be puttin down 1000 rwhp. i bet he busts 200 mph despite the 6,500 foot track elevation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave